• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many teachers on the boards?

IronWolf

blank
Here is a thread from May with teachers sounding off. Of course nothing about what they enjoy doing in those final weeks before classes start...

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Christoph the Magus said:
What area will you be teaching?

Teaching is a great job (and not just because you get summers off-but it helps:) The first year will likely be your worst. It starts to get easier after that. I think that I hit my stride in year three-so don't give up on it if your first year (or student teaching) slaps you around a little bit!
Math, and possibly science (chem or phys) at the high school level (although I'm also open to the middle school level). I chose that because that's where the help is needed the most.

I hope on not giving up for a long time--I have very high hopes of a career in education. I'm already a really good teacher (out of high school, I'd have been a better math teacher than most), but my aims are to influence school systems on a local, state, or national level. I think I can get the ball moving to get schools going in the right direction.

(in the US)

ayrwind

First Post
I teach Biology to 15-16 year olds here in Singapore, in a relatively good girls school. My specialty is in Molecular Biology and Medical Biology.

Well, there isnt any summer breaks here (its permanently a sweltering hot summer hear), and I've been teaching for almost 6 weeks since school started after the mid year break.

Sigh, my gaming group do not contain any more teachers, so there isnt any gaming goodness during the term breaks where we can have longer game sessions.

DarrenGMiller

First Post
I am a high school teacher. I direct the marching band, concert band and jazz ensemble. I also teach Advanced Placement music theory and International Baccalaureate Music.

DM

Jdvn1

wolf70 said:
I am a high school teacher. I direct the marching band, concert band and jazz ensemble. I also teach Advanced Placement music theory and International Baccalaureate Music.

DM
Ooh, a dying breed. I know lots of band directors losing their jobs. I sympathize with them, being a band and orchestra junky myself.

I just finished a BA in English and Linguistics and I begin student teaching in a few weeks. I don't remember when the school year starts, and I haven't been able to contact my cooperating teacher, so I'll have to contact the district office soon. My mother just retired from the same school district this Spring, but is of no help.

Jdvn1

Arbiter of Wyrms said:
I just finished a BA in English and Linguistics and I begin student teaching in a few weeks. I don't remember when the school year starts, and I haven't been able to contact my cooperating teacher, so I'll have to contact the district office soon. My mother just retired from the same school district this Spring, but is of no help.
Cool! Good luck! Tell us how it goes?

shilsen

Adventurer
I'm doing my Ph.D. in English Literature and have taught my own freshman composition and literature classes (Renaissance, world drama, Shakespeare) for six of the last seven years.

Remove ads