How much television do you watch in a week?

How many hours do you watch TV?

• 0 hours

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • 1-3 hours

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • 4-6 hours

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • 7-10 hours

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • 11-15 hours

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • All of it

Votes: 1 3.8%

Bullgrit

Adventurer
On average, how much do you watch TV? I'm meaning including watching movies and such, not necessarily just episodic shows. And including watching streaming on your computer and such, not necessarily just the big screen in your living room.

Bullgrit

*poll coming

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
It is like a new expression needs to be used to describe watching something on some sort of screen.

Screening? Watching a screen?

Ahnehnois

First Post
I'm probably on the high end. Working mostly from home, I'll typically eat meals in front of my computer with something on; that's over an hour a day right there. Especially over the winter; when it gets nice outside I should be dropping that number.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Usually 1 dvd per night, or some instant streaming.
It depends.
Now while I'm cleaning up a place, a little more because I'm tired at night, or like now when I have "hurry up and wait".
If I'm working on something in Maya (most of the time) like a dragon or samurai vs Bunny Rabbit, less, because, well, I'm working on it until I'm ready to render--preferably over-night for long bits, or during lunch and dinner for short bits.

I have trouble calculating it. The problem is that "watching something" is not an exclusive activity. There are plenty of times I have the TV on, but my level of attention to it is varied.

If I'm watching True Detective, I'm completely involved in watching the show; 100% watching TV. If I'm sitting down with my laptop doing some reading or emails or whatever, I'll have the TV on but only be partially watching it. If I'm cleaning (or doing dishes or doing other odd jobs) while my wife has one of her cook-off shows on, the TV will be mostly white noise to me. If you're including the internet, it gets even harder. Does a youtube video count? How about commercials: does a one hour show still count as an hour if I fast forward through the parts that aren't the show?

I easily experience more than 10 hours of broadcast TV time per week. But I'm actively watching about 2 hours, multitasking for another 5, and ignoring or fast forwarding through the rest.

Crothian

First Post
It varies a lot. Some weeks I'll be doing work and have Netflix on for hours on end. I do record 9 hours of TV a week to watch but only when they are new episodes. Until tax season is over it is less then ten hours a week but once tax season is over I'll do some major watching to catch up on shows and DVDs and could easily do forty or more hours a week for a while. After tax season is done we are required to take a few or more weeks off.

Monday: House of Lies, Daily Show, Colbert
Tuesday: Daily Show, Colbert
Wednesday: Daily Show, Colbert
Thursday: Daily Show, Colbert
Friday: sometimes a movie
Saturday: sometimes a movie
Sunday: Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, True Detective, Girls, (Game of Thrones)

So, yeah, 11-14.

AR

Gonozal

First Post
I'm not really watching any TV in the classical sense, but quite a lot of netflix streaming.
Maybe about 10-20 hours a week, depending on how full my week is.

Grehnhewe

First Post
I definetely used to watch a lot more telelesvision than I used to. Funnily enough, now that I have hundreds of channels, I never sit there flipping through them. Honestly I dont even know what channels I have. I have gone off of episodic shows only because I always get so behind. I am over a year behind on Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. I guess in a typical week I watch 1-2 movies and 1-2 games (usually football...real football is on almost all year. :) ) There are definetely days when I do not even turn on my television.

I have however seen most of the episodes of True Detective...great show!!!

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
If you count Netflicks, perhaps 2-3 hours per day, although I am often visiting other sites online, or working with software designing maps or whatever, at the same time - periodically going back to the movie when the audio draws me back in. But regular television? I haven't watched regular television at all over the past 7 or so years. I generally don't watch movie/tv in the daytime at work, and a few years ago, I got involved in a heavy RPG publishing project that took all my off time. If I chose to watch TV, I lost hours of design time I should have put in - so at that point I stopped watching television altogether. I later got Netflicks (about a year ago) because I sort of missed not seeing movies as often, but I'm much less dependant on televised type programming these days - I didn't get to see that last episodes of Breaking Bad, until this past week and I'm not watching any TV now, for example.

Last edited:

Remove ads