• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How often do you fight (disagree, debate)?

How often do you fight?

• All the time! It's a war zone!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pretty often. We are proud people.

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • It happens. It's a game, and games can be competitive

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Rarely. It has to be something really-really important/stupid.

Votes: 34 56.7%
  • Never, my group is perfect in that respect.

Votes: 9 15.0%

Jimlock

Adventurer
So how often do you fight/have-heated-up-debates in your game group?

Be that over rules, DM/Player choices, or any other subject that involves your game?

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
It appears that you mean how often do the real people playing the game get into disagreements, as opposed to how many combats the characters have. You might want to clarify that in the title; I thought this was one of many threads on the latter. It's a good question though.

For my part, I used to have pretty regular disagreements on style and personal issues, which were generally civil and sometimes produced positive change. These days, we've been doing this so long and we know each other so well (and the less contented players have moved on), so there's really nothing to fight about.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Heated? Between the players? About the game? Never.

As a GM, I don't think I'd tolerate it. I'm happy to discuss, but if it gets heated, I'd probably end the discussion right quick.

RedTonic

First Post
Well, I would say my group has had a few heated discussions. Nothing ever went to insults or attacks, but we've had some passionate differences of opinion and expressions of disappointment/disaffection. We get on very well, and almost never really disagree, but when we do, it's usually over something profoundly stupid or personal, and more rarely over mismatched expectations. We've only had one time when the disagreement couldn't be resolved, and it was less about the game and more about something out of game that just boiled over. Luckily, that was a one time event in the near ten years we've been gaming together as a group.

SkredlitheOgre

Explorer
I picked 'Rarely' because there have only been two actual arguments that I've been a part of. One was because of the players and the GURPS GM had personal beef going on between them and the player was being a dick.

The second argument was just recently, as one of our Pathfinder players turned combat into a stop-motion exercise due to rules lawyering constantly, instead of letting the DM rule and move on. This had been going on for a couple of months and subtle hints weren't cutting it. He has since left the group of his own occord.

Yeah, it's a game, but it happens.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Never. If we began a fight, then we'd start arguing over how to fight and what the rules for the fight should be. It would be very annoying. :p

Back when 3e came out and I started playing with strangers for the first time, I used to get wrapped up in arguments all the time. It took several years before I realized that I need to be more picky with who I game with.

The last several years have been great. The players I keep around (and they choose to stay) get along great. Nobody argues and if we do disagree, we move on and work it out later, peacefully.

The amount of arguing I dealt with almost caused me to quit playing D&D. Luckily I didn't and the game is so much more fun to play when there aren't any argumentative players in the group.

Pharizard

First Post
Sadly, I don't have a group.

What I mean is, that my friends and I get together once every 4 months. This is because since I left to University many years ago I've never gone back to my home town except for after every term.

Now that University is a passing phase, I've stayed down here and my old group has stayed where they grew up.

I guess I should mention that I'm the only one willing to dungeon master. This means that my group doesn't get together unless I'm in town.

However, on the few occasions that I am in town (i.e. like 6 weeks per year for family reasons, meaning with family obligations I play about 3 times a year) we have a blast.

Whenever I return I make up a one shot adventure that I try to make as epic as possible. I try to make it as open ended as possible by actually winging the adventure. I have a made up adventure in mind but I don't set on anything because I don't want to railroad for the few times I'm in town. I leave whatever happens up to my players and I just react on that based on the world I've made in the many months I've had to prepare.

The players and I never argue. The players with players argue every once in a while, but because play happens so seldom, everyone just accepts what everyone else does.

It's not a perfect system because we never play, but when we do play, we just play for fun. We don't care if two out of four are drinking or that one player isn't roleplaying at all because honestly we're just in it to hang out and have something to do for a few hours a year.

I don't really know where I'm getting with this, but I guess no; we don't argue. We just hang out, eat pizza, and reminiscent about old times.

Remove ads