How often do your players multiclass?

Draegn

Explorer
In my game there are four basic classes:

Divine
Arcane
Mundane
Nonpareil (combination of two or more of the above and specials)

Heroes are only allowed to multiclass if it is thematically appropriate.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
In my game there are four basic classes:

Divine
Arcane
Mundane
Nonpareil (combination of two or more of the above and specials)

Heroes are only allowed to multiclass if it is thematically appropriate.

I think that when a DM works with a player to make the thematic part happen then all combinations become thematically appropriate. If the DM doesn't then I agree that many multiclasses aren't thematically appropriate.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
At character level 2-5 it's pretty rare, say one character out of a party of 5-7.

At character levels 6-11, it's uncommon, say 2-3 characters out of a party of 5-7.

At character levels 12+, my sample size is smaller. For games that started at high level it seemed a lot more common then games growing to that level. Actually, that may have been true even at the lower levels, that a replacement character or new player starting at a higher level was more likely.

I myself like single level characters, and will likely stay that way until I'm at a level where I've got all my "major goodies". Since I've never actually seen a 5e camapaign go to 20th at that point I don't mind missing out on a mythical capstone and instead can multiclass. Though I will multiclass even from 2nd if I have a concept I'm going for that isn't well realized mechanically by a single class, but it that case I try not to hit the class-level-5-power-bump too late, say 7th at worst.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
As a quick addendum, when 5e came out, every powergamer I know multiclassed. Most of them grew out of that, learning that while it was the path to power in earlier editions the classes have a lot to justify staying in them now. One or two haven't and will always multiclass their 'leet builds. Which usually do about as well as anybody else.

This is not putting down multiclassing as power gaming. First, in 5e it's probably easier to shoot yourself in the foot in regards to missing ASIs and such then to exceed the power curve. And second there are concepts that fall between the classes and multiclassing playing-as-if-it-is-a-single-class is a good way to realize those concepts.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Our Eberron game, no one has yet at level 5, but the monk will take a couple rogue levels eventually.

Fiend’s homebrew, two of four PCs are multiclass. My gnome is a Swashbuckler/Bladesinger, my wife’s Goliath is a Ranger/Druid. Both are because no class white felt right on its own for what we wanted from the characters, story wise.

My FR/homebrew game: Two of three PCs. One bc battlemaster/lorebard represented my buddy’s nerdy warlord really well, and the other bc he needed a touch of shadow magic to represent having been brought back to life by Drasek Riven, lesser god of Shadows and Assassins, exarch of Mask.

MechaPilot

Explorer
It's sort of rare at my table. In my current 5e campaign, we've had about 18 characters. Of those 18, only three or four have been multiclassed. And two of those that were multiclassed were made by the same player (who is an optimizer).

Remove ads