I was right about Shield Master

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Of course not. No one has said anything about finishing college. We thing you must finish is going to college. You went. That is over and done with.
But you just said you don't do something until you finish doing it.
You haven't finished going to college, so by your logic you can't have the car because you've yet to go to college.

epithet

Explorer
I really don't understand why some people insist they understand the rules better than the people who professionally wrote and interpret said rules.

I mean nobody's arguing against house rules to interpret rules in a way that makes more sense for the fiction or game flow or whatever at anybody's personal table. But if you think you have greater claim on understanding and interpreting the RAW than Jeremy Crawford you're sadly mistaken.

Again, I don't think anybody's interpretation or application of the rule is wrong; there's simply RAW and then there's House Rules. You can disagree with the RAW. The entire point of House Rules are when you disagree with the rules as they are written or don't think they work as well for your own table. But there's no sense in arguing that it isn't actually RAW.

In this case, the guy that professionally wrote the rules went on to professionally interpret them one way, then professionally change his mind a couple of years later and professionally re-interpret the rule a different way.

I think that is definitive and incontrovertible proof that RAW, if you care a whit about such things, can be reasonably interpreted more than one way on this topic without getting into "house rules" territory. There is a significant difference between a DM's ruling and a house rule.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
No, you are in the process of taking the attack action if you haven’t completed it. If you are in the process of taking something the. You haven’t taken it yet

But you just said you don't do something until you finish doing it.
You haven't finished going to college, so by your logic you can't have the car because you've yet to go to college.

Yes you did. You went to college. That is the completion of the act of going to college. That you want to play word games rather than admit this says a lot

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Yes you did. You went to college. That is the completion of the act of going to college. That you want to play word games rather than admit this says a lot

Actually it's not a word game. Thank you for that statement, please bear with me.
You get the car for going to college, irrelevant of if you're still going to college?

Because normally the completion of going to college is graduation, or dropping out. Otherwise you're still going to college.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
No, you are in the process of taking the attack action if you haven’t completed it. If you are in the process of taking something the. You haven’t taken it yet

Actually it's not a word game. Thank you for that statement, please bear with me.
You get the car for going to college, irrelevant of if you're still going to college?

Because normally the completion of going to college is graduation, or dropping out. Otherwise you're still going to college.

Or coming have for the weekend. I’ll go back to college Sunday so I have time to study. (As an example). But perhaps go to college has to many different meanings to make this useful.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Or coming have for the weekend. I’ll go back to college Sunday so I have time to study. (As an example). But perhaps go to college has to many different meanings to make this useful.

But that's what the internet is for! Hooray, we can get an agreed upon common usage (which is what the parents would be using).
"In common usage, "going to college" simply means attending school for an undergraduate degree, whether it's from an institution recognized as a college or a university."

Now then, after the first day, do you get the car? You've not got a degree or dropped out, so you've not finished attending college.

I mean, the answers obviously yes, but that puts you in a tricky spot when we switch "attending college" for "taking the Attack action" and "the car" for "the bonus action shove"

Anyway, I'm off for dinner. I expect the argument will have long continued when I get back but who knows, maybe it'll have cycled around again.

Last edited:

Ansel Darach

First Post
The confusion probably stemmed from the PHB itself.

Shield master. "If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield."

Two weapon fighting. "When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative."

Examples of two separate instances where a bonus action can be used after taking the attack action wherein the Players Handbook itself makes a distinction between the attack action requiring an attack before a bonus action is used (two weapon fighting) and one where that specific wording is missing (shieldmaster) therefore when people read an exception based ruleset the specific rule beats the general rule of needing an attack first in order to use the bonus action and shieldmaster lacks that specific rule.

Or ya know that could add two words of errata to fix it if they want it to read differently "and attack" but that would make sense.

Remove ads