Immortals Handbook - ASCENSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
U_K!
Upper_Krust said:
The average Divine Blast in D&Dg dealt 17d12 damage which is 110 average. I always considered that equivalent to a cosmic ability (although back when a cosmic ability equalled 4 divine abilities, not 6 like now).

My divine Blast allows you to deal 12d3 (average 18), which is a massive step down.

I agree with you about the d3 to d6/2 change.

My cosmic blast deals an average 126 (12d20), so even though I know I have the balance more or less right, it still looks a bit limp as a diivine ability.

I'm also worried about those additive powers, they are a touch complicated to balance.
I think the balance problem lies in that such damage (12d3? 6d6?) is such a pitiful pinprick to most gods, its not worth taking. Granted, I think the energy one is fine, damage wise, since you *could* be immune to them. (and if you nullify absolutes, making immunity = resist 50/100/150, these are fine, since they hurt)
Also, I think perhaps you should add Divine rank to HD to determine damage done.
EX: A Level 1 timelord (Absurd, but this is an example) Will only throw one die of damage, while a level 50 Demigod throws about 25 or so. (Though the timelord's single die is average 550 some damage:))
I always thought your tiers for divine blast went: Divine: as normal~, Cosmic: d100, Transcendant: d1000, Omnific: OMG.
The scaling you list in ascension is pretty nice too, but with the rapid increase in HP from gods due to high con and HD, plus all sorts of ways to recover said HP, it may not be possible to kill them (Nexus dragons don't deal much damage, though the damage is the least of your worries)
Best bet balance wise would be to roll up about 10 or so sample gods, and see just how much divine blast should play into depleting their HP.
As for blast addatives: I don't think they will be *Too* broken, as you are spending divine slots you could use to improve other areas. With really strong powers like Learned ability Immunity (does this apply to powers, or ability scores?) their uber-galaxy-crush-beam would be nasty. Once.
As a side note, if Learned Ability Immunity is what I think it is (Immunity to powers) This becomes really cheap endgame (endgame meaning Sidereal+) as it forces a standstill once both partys are immune to the other.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Upper_Krust said:
Thanks. I appreciate the help, I was never sure which forum was best for it so I appreciate the clarity.

No problem! You might find it useful to activate your publisher hosted forum, too. Gives you a whole area to play with, mod powers to manage it, and link to threads in it directly from your product page at ENGS - which would be useful for the new customers who come across it in the store but don't hang out on messageboards and see the threads about it.

Then you can post press releases here in the Publisher forum as and when you release something new or update the current versions.

Hey Russ! :)

Morrus said:
No problem! You might find it useful to activate your publisher hosted forum, too. Gives you a whole area to play with, mod powers to manage it, and link to threads in it directly from your product page at ENGS - which would be useful for the new customers who come across it in the store but don't hang out on messageboards and see the threads about it.

Then you can post press releases here in the Publisher forum as and when you release something new or update the current versions.

Okay, I have clicked on it.

Russ can I get this thread moved into my Publisher Forum?

Thanks.

I could probably do it myself but I am just a 1st-level Moderator. :p

To everyone else, a little later I will create a few new threads in the Eternity Publishing Forum to cover the relevant topics: In the meantime post in this thread what new threads you would like to see.

In the short term I was thinking:

1. Epic Bestiary (Epic Monster Discussion)
2. Ascension (Main Rules Discussion)
3. Grimoire (Artifacts, Epic Spells Discussion)
4. Chronicle (Adventures, Campaigns Discussion)
5. Immortals Index (Pantheon Discussion)
6. Challenge Rating/Encounter Level System
7. Third Party Support...a place where everyone (and I'm looking at Fieari and dante in particular) can post their monsters, spells, and so forth.

Any other thoughts?

I'm actually quite excited. :D

As ever, I will be sure and reply to all previous posts a little later. ;)

historian

First Post
Hey U_K! :)

To everyone else, a little later I will create a few new threads in the Eternity Publishing Forum to cover the relevant topics: In the meantime post in this thread what new threads you would like to see.

In the short term I was thinking:

1. Epic Bestiary (Epic Monster Discussion)
2. Ascension (Main Rules Discussion)
3. Grimoire (Artifacts, Epic Spells Discussion)
4. Chronicle (Adventures, Campaigns Discussion)
5. Immortals Index (Pantheon Discussion)
6. Challenge Rating/Encounter Level System
7. Third Party Support...a place where everyone (and I'm looking at Fieari and dante in particular) can post their monsters, spells, and so forth.

Any other thoughts?

I like the idea.

By the way I hadn't specifically commented on the update but it continues to look great.

Hello all - just to clarify I have created a thread for the Grimoire and the Epic Bestiaries. I'll create a few more later/tomorrow.

Hey dante mate! :)

dante58701 said:
My house rules allow deities to have a natural size appropriate to the race they represent, provided the deity has sufficient Divine Immensity. Originally we were thinking or negating size rules altogether...but we decided we liked them too much. So...for this guy...representing humanity means he appears as a medium human. The limiting factor we apply is this...while divine immensity allows him to be size medium...size medium (as an optional house rule) is his base size. Thus with Divine Immensity x10 he could only become size macromedium. This eliminates abuse of the Divine Immensity ability for those who want smaller divinities.

The idea behind the minimum size sprang from the being Galactus who cannot reduce his size smaller than Huge size and contain his power.

dante58701 said:
I am considering just making another Divine Ability that allows immense deities to possess a smaller size. Though Im at a loss as to what to name it, because divine insignificance just doesn't sound right to me.

Sounds quite a nice title.

dante58701 said:
As for campaigns...most of the challenges are interpersonal. He's a major antagonist for the other characters.

Well you know your campiagn better than I do.

dante58701 said:
A creature wizards can blast with their potent epic spells and blast with their artifact level shotguns.

Coincidently enough I actually have double-barrelled Spell Shotguns (aka Double Wands) in Grimoire. :)

Howdy! :)

Eversius said:
Hey, UK. Here to plague you with more questions.

You are the disease and I am the cure!

To quote Sly Stallone from the movie Cobra. :cool:

Eversius said:
When Aeons enter the lower dimensions, don't they enter a demiurge? Could they enter another Time Lord's lower dimensions?

This could work in a variety of ways depending on the Time Lords involved. The universes could overlap, or when they touch, it could look as if they are trying to push though from the other side.

Eversius said:
How can an Aeon embody a universe or campaign setting when it isn't made of component dimensions like a demiurge? How can things live "within" it?

It still has dimensions, the difference is that it is the sentience governing those dimensions.

Eversius said:
When a beast/creature/character has a dire template applied to it (or macrobe, even), doesn't it still get the ability points to spend for every 4 extra HD? This is disregarding its original HD of course.

Yes.

Eversius said:
Why are Time Lords limited to 999 HD?

Because its a lot easier to work with than 3E95 Hit Dice.

Eversius said:
Can they advance beyond that without absorbing another Aeon to become a High Lord?

Anything is possible, but not necessarily advisable. ;)

Eversius said:
Are there any other ways for a creature to gain 999+ HD without embodying a universe? What if they weren't part of the cosmic balance? Would they have to exist in interdimensional space?

They could not have been created in one of the lower dimensions.

Eversius said:
I probably have other questions that I've forgotten to add, but I'm just trying to wrap my mind around these things.

You'll go insane. Mindwrap - sounds like an epic spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads