Immortals Handbook - ASCENSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
U_K!
Congrat's on getting your own forum, now we dont have to plague the others with our mad ravings :)
How is Ascension comming?
Btw, nice idea in the monster thread. Expect, (Once you get CH 4 done in the IH) me to post a few "things" there. (and by things, I mean monsters of such insanity that their sheer flurry of numbers will annihilate even the timelords)
I get bored easily. :)

Fieari

Explorer
I myself am waiting EAGERLY for the portfolio rules, so that we can finally fully stat out Prophets and Deities at least (if not Sidereals, Time Lords, and Supernals yet). There's just something about being able to take the rules and MAKE something with it that just gives you a nice satisfied feeling. Or me, anyway.

I'm going to start by creating a dedicated Kobold deity, with his prophet. Kobolds have been barbaric uncivilized scavenger dogs for too long, mostly because they have no gods to lead them... most of the dragon gods despise them it seems to me, or merely pity them at best.

thundershot

Adventurer
GAHH! The thread! It keeps MOOOOOVING! It's actually buried now. If not for the redirection thread, I'd have never found it.

*whew*

Chris

Phantom Llama

First Post
Should Superior Damage Reduction really need Improved Damage Reduction as a prerequisite? It makes it impossible to have a deity vulnerable to certain materials without giving him vulnerability based on alignment as well, which may not be appropriate for some deities that are uncaring of alignment issues.

EDIT: Obviously Perfect DR would still require Improved as well as Superior (and Obscure?) DR.

That aside, I'm curious as to what you think of this ability. It's clearly not worth a cosmic ability (you can get blanket energy immunity for less than the cost of one), but I'm not sure how it compares to the divine abilities.

Adaptive Energy Immunity (Su)
Prerequisites: Adaption
Benefit: If you take energy damage (acid, cold, electricity, fire or sonic), you become immune to that type of energy until you take damage from a different type. If you take multiple types of energy damage from a single attack the immunity gained is chosen randomly.

Last edited:

Eversius

First Post
Quick rules question, UK.

Couldn't Inner Eye be used in conjunction with Quantum Effect to make all effect-based abilities do octuple damage? Or will you remedy this abuse in Inner Eye's pending description?

Perhaps it could maximize a list of things like:
Attack rolls
Damage Rolls
Saving throws
Ability Checks
Skill Checks
Caster Level Checks
Etc.
But not list Quantum Effect.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
The reason we decided on creating an ability to allow smaller sized super beings would be because of creatures like Q or even some of the creatures made by Neil Gaimen. While they would inherently have a natural size that is much larger. I think given their tremendous control over reality, appearing as a smaller being should prove fundamentally simple. I never bought the idea that Galactus was forced into being so huge. Especially after silver surfer finally killed him.

When silver surfer absorbed all of Galactus's power, he not only remained medium in size, he could take smaller sizes as evidenced in later issues. So for ascended beings we figured it didnt make much sense that they would be so restricted. We did however come to the conclusion that Galactus had many inherent flaws and vulnerabilities. He needed to feed on planets to keep up his mightyness and he had many psychological problems as well. And of course their was his codependancy issue regarding heralds. Dont get me wrong, galactus was cool but he was a flawed example of an old one. He was dying and refused to aknowledge it. Instead he leeched of of other lifeforms to exist. Namely planets. And then there was the issue of the Phoenix Force, which possessed Jean Grey. That thing was supposedly more powerful than even Galactus, yet it could reside in a mortal form, if that mortal form was potent enough to contain it. Marvel was wierd that way. LOL!!!

So we tend to take the stance that only those who are not ascended divinities are forced to remain in a tremendous form. We handle our deities a bit differently than most.

Our ascended deities... we ruled ....can lose their power, while we ruled that those born divine cannot lose their power. It puts a rift between true divinities and usurper gods, adding to the conflicts in the campaign.

We also have a ruling that gods dont need worshippers if they were born gods. Only ascended deities do. So each type of divinity has its own perks and flaws.

So while ascended deities can be smaller and rise to significant power, they can be brought low by the might of true gods. Who have difficulty hiding their divinity.

We also have a rule that states that if a a god is born from a true divnity and a false divinity ...only half their power is innate, the rest is from worship.

And then we have our special pantheon of old retired divnities that look over the newbies. It all ends up balancing out. The true gods are too busy battling ascended gods to ever meddle in mortal affairs. And their conflicts are policed by the retired divinities, its all abit complicated but with the new rules you made it all ended up perfectly balanced and adapted.
We even use monster gods to challenge divine PCs.

There is only one concern that ever comes up....will the Doritos run out before the session ends. LOL!!!

Ps...Ive settled on Divine Insignificance for that ability. Your right, it's not as bad as I thought initially. And it makes things more legitimate. As for shotguns...love those things.
One of my characters had a +10 Defending (Barrel) Distance Everdancing Duranium Shotgun that Fired it own +10 Fiery Blast Sonic Blast Duranium Rounds. I think he was a little hoodlum.

Last edited:

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
U_K!

I think the balance problem lies in that such damage (12d3? 6d6?) is such a pitiful pinprick to most gods, its not worth taking.

If thats the case I wonder if maybe I should make all Effect type abilities Cosmic and ramp up the damage to the maximum or maybe even maximum + divine rank?

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Granted, I think the energy one is fine, damage wise, since you *could* be immune to them. (and if you nullify absolutes, making immunity = resist 50/100/150, these are fine, since they hurt)

I'll not be using that system within my books, that was a n optional idea I created for the website. The only way to overcome immunities is to have the appropriate portfolio(s).

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Also, I think perhaps you should add Divine rank to HD to determine damage done.

EX: A Level 1 timelord (Absurd, but this is an example) Will only throw one die of damage, while a level 50 Demigod throws about 25 or so. (Though the timelord's single die is average 550 some damage:))

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
I always thought your tiers for divine blast went: Divine: as normal~, Cosmic: d100, Transcendant: d1000, Omnific: OMG.

No thats for Hit Dice, not damage.

A great wyrm red dragons breath 24d10 is CR +3, therefore 24d100 would be CR +30, so you can see that the Transcendental Power should be in the d100s, not d1000s.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
The scaling you list in ascension is pretty nice too, but with the rapid increase in HP from gods due to high con and HD, plus all sorts of ways to recover said HP, it may not be possible to kill them (Nexus dragons don't deal much damage, though the damage is the least of your worries)

Nobody every said killing gods should be easy.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Best bet balance wise would be to roll up about 10 or so sample gods, and see just how much divine blast should play into depleting their HP.
As for blast addatives: I don't think they will be *Too* broken, as you are spending divine slots you could use to improve other areas. With really strong powers like Learned ability Immunity (does this apply to powers, or ability scores?) their uber-galaxy-crush-beam would be nasty. Once.

Exactly, I am thinking that Ability Immunity may well be Cosmic.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
As a side note, if Learned Ability Immunity is what I think it is (Immunity to powers) This becomes really cheap endgame (endgame meaning Sidereal+) as it forces a standstill once both partys are immune to the other.

Indeed. Some powers are trickier to rate than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads