Inherent bonus to Int and Skill Points.

youspoonybard

First Post
Geez. I'm REALLY rusty.

Does 3.5 address whether or not an inherent bonus to int gives you additional skill points on level up? I know that items and the like don't...but do Inherent bonuses?

Trying to get into a game, and am rolling up a mid-level wizard, so this might be applicable.

Trainz

Explorer
Nail said:
I've always chaffed at 3.5e not allowing items to do this (given they were worn the whole time).
That would be horrendous. Imagine the chaos when the wizard's headband of intellect +4 fails it's save and is destroyed. Good luck readjusting your skill scores.

Scion

First Post
Nail said:
I've always chaffed at 3.5e not allowing items to do this (given they were worn the whole time).

Me too ;/ I am a big fan of 'less effect, less cost'. Since they took away pretty much the only reason for a nonprimary caster to get the item why does it still cost full price? Bah.

I know I have seen the rule about permanent and temporary (although really, the distinction is largely arbitrary) but I cannot find it right now :( perhaps someone else can quote it.

Scion

First Post
Trainz said:
That would be horrendous. Imagine the chaos when the wizard's headband of intellect +4 fails it's save and is destroyed. Good luck readjusting your skill scores.

Skill points are not readjusted. Just like if someone gets rid of your inherant bonus you do not readjust past skill points or if you get a new inherant bonus you do not adjust old skill points. Skill points do not get readjusted, they are not reteroactive.

Nail

First Post
Scion said:
Skill points are not readjusted.
Absolutely. There's no "horrendous" calculation at all.

There's also no good balance reason to keep this rule. The market price of the item covers the advantage gained.

Gwarok

Explorer
I let my characters get skill points for INT only if it is permanent. In fact I let them get points retroactively for it. However temporary bonuses and bonuses from items don't allow more skill points ever in my campaign. Its easy on the paperwork and makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Lamoni

First Post
Gwarok said:
However temporary bonuses and bonuses from items don't allow more skill points ever in my campaign. Its easy on the paperwork and makes sense to me.
Yet, at Scion pointed out, getting skill points is the only reason someone would ever want a boost to Int. And since an Int boosting item doesn't add to skill points, it doesn't do anything for a non-int caster. Would it make sense for a Con boosting item to Not boost HP's? Or not boost Fort saves. Or Wisdom items to not increase will saves. How about Dexterity to not improve ranged attack? Or not increase reflex saves. Or maybe Strength items to not increase carrying capacity. Charisma should probably not improve turning, or the Paladin's healing. It just doesn't make sense to me to limit Int magic items when no other stat bonus is nerfed in the same way.

Edit: Thought of more to say...
Either the item increases your intelligence or it doesn't. If it does, everything that is based on intelligence should be affected. If it doesn't, it should cost less. Having a requirement of needing that Intelligence score for the entire level doesn't make much sense either. If you have your Int drained and restored, you still get full skill points. If you increase your Int at 4th level, you still get the extra skill point. If you get an Inherint bonus, you get the extra skill points.

The only way I can see this being abused is to buy one +6 Int item and pass it around the party so each member can level up one at a time and each get an extra 3 skill points. This abuse might be the whole purpose behind the rule, but I think they could have thought of some other rule to prevent this.

Last edited:

Gwarok

Explorer
The INT item does boost your skills, those that require INT as a modifier. While your wearing it you get the same relative bonus as you do for wearing any other stat boosting item. But skills themselves are a permanent feature on your guy.

Your way, what does happen then when the hat comes off? The skills disappear? You put on the hat and now your a master blacksmith. Take it off. Put it on again and become a master animal handler? Its just goofy.

You want an item to boost a skill, then make one that adds to a skill. I have a dwarf with a hammer thats +10 to smithing. Why would a non INT based guy get a +6 INT item? Beats me. Probably same reason my wizard doesn't use a +4 Thundering Urgosh.

Last edited:

Remove ads