• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is anyone sticking with 3.5?

Corbert

Explorer
I'm sticking with 3.5. I have several hundred dollars invested in 3.5, and honestly, I don't feel there are enough problems with it to justify a totally new system.

Dlsharrock

First Post
I came back to D&D after several years just recently, previously playing house-rule pbem, tabletop CoC and a variety of GURPs one-offs. I upgraded my 3.0 core books with 3.5 in January (the boxed set no less) and I'm happy with it though the rules are just as horribly complicated as I remember them. 3.5 does the job for me and will do until I lose interest in D&D which will probably, based on previous experience, take about 2 years. I'll come back to it another five years later ready for 9e :) Either way, I won't be investing in 4e. The cynical part of me keeps making suggestive references to cash-cows.

BSF

Explorer
I play in one game that will almost assuredly continue in 3.5. Since the core rules won't include the equivalents of the Druid, Monk and Bard, we would have 60% of the group that would have difficulties converting. The fact that even third parties won't be able to address that gap until October really clinches the fact that we won't convert.

I run a game where if we were to choose to move from 3.5, we would be just as likely to migrate to Savage Worlds, or something else, as we are to migrate to 4. But we are enjoying our Ptolus fun. If anything, we are likely to investigate the BoXM series to see if we can bring in some 4e like elements of play. We haven't really decided yet though.

I am getting ready to restart a monthly game for my wife and as many players as we can get that will probably use a mix of 3.0 and 3.5. Again, these are established characters and we are restarting the campaign for the character development. From what I can see, it would be challenging to convert her 3.0 telepathic Psion/Ghostbreaker into 4e.

For my son, I will continue with BFRPG for a little bit, then I will introduce him to a completely different set of mechanics. We will play that for a little while, then shift again. We will do that until we have gone through all sorts of games and mechanics. I want him to have a broad range of experience so he can appreciate all the flexibility of gaming and will be comfortable playing anything until he settles into his own favorite systems.

I am sure I will play 4e at some point. I'm just not in a rush at this point. WotC's development plan this time around makes it challenging to convert existing games and all of the games I am running/playing have not reached the point of conclusion.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
my group is split. The one running ST is likely to stick w/ 3.5 even after Savage Tide gets over. I, on the other hand, after several experiences with high level 3.5 and its odd corners will likely be pre trying 4E out after I tie up AoW by the end of the month. Even w/ Eberron not core supported out of the box, I have some confidence that I can make the switch; I've done 1e->2e->3e->3.5e and still have $$$ of 2e books that I occasionally mine.

So, while I might be playing 3.x, I don't have any plans to run too much more 3.x besides some ongoing PbP here. Who knows, that may change.

CalicoDave

Explorer
My group currently plays 3.0. We have no desire to switch to 4th edition. We are going to take a serious look at Pathfinder and see if we want to switch to that.

We all have quite a few 3.X books and don't feel any desire to invalidate them. In fact, we are all hoping to add to our 3.X set of books when the publishers have to liquidate their 3.X holdings so they can sell 4th books.

4th edition really doesn't thrill me at all. Almost all of the changes I've seen just have this weird, goofy feel to them to me (square fireballs, gnomes that can only turn invisible when they've taken damage, clerics that can only assist an ally when they hit a bad guy, etc...)

So, hopefully, we will all like what we see in Pathfinder, or we will stick with 3.0.

Vorput

First Post
Our group starts a new 3.5 campaign this Tuesday...

4E might be fun and all, but we're all too cheap to buy all new sets of books. ;)

Vorp

Ashrem78

First Post
our group is going to give 4E a honest shot and if we don't enjoy it we will go back to 3.5. Since only one of the members is buying the book( we are all chipping in just not as much as he is) it will only be a small loss if we don't like it.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
I'm sticking with 3.5 (well, a hybrid of 3.5, Arcana Evolved, Conan d20 and Pathfinder). We just started a new campaign, so no need or desire to switch. In fact, we've also been talking about playing some OD&D and AD&D as a change of pace later in the year in one of the groups I play in - that's when we're not playing CoC, Traveller, Primetime Adventures, Mage or Torg. OK, not Torg, but y'know...

Out of four local gaming groups, there are only 2 players who are interested in actively playing 4e, and neither of them are running games, so it's not getting much interest at all in these parts. Yeah, that's only anecdotal evidence, but it's all I've got ;)

NewJeffCT

First Post
I'll stick with 3.5 until my current campaign ends - probably later this year - and then probably make the switch. But, if the rest of the group wants to stick with 3.5, I'll stick with 3.5

EricNoah said:
Yep -- no one in my groups wants to switch, we're just starting to feel like we finally have a bit of mastery of 3.x, and I personally have tons of adventure material for 3.x.

Not to derail my own thread but...

Eric, I love what you've done with your Western Shore campaign setting! Cool map! I like all the references to other published adventures and your house rules are great! They manage to fix things without drastically changing the rules. Consider some of them stolen, if you don't mind... :cool:

Remove ads