Leif's "County of Urnst" Greyhawk Gamma Game [AD&D 1E] [ OOC 01]

Leif

Adventurer
Yeah, I've still got to determine magic items for everyone. It would help me out if each of you would list a few items that you wish to try for -- only one weapon may be attempted, and one suit of armor or shield. Potions are probably relatively easy to come by. Relatively so, I say again. As far as coinage in addition to gear, say everyone has 1d4 * 50 gp.

It's in the 1E AD&D DMG, Strahd, in Appendix P. steeldragons knows where it is, he quoted from it.

I'm enjoying the interaction in the IC. Keep this up and I won't have to do any work at all for this game! :)

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
From the original thread for this game....on Feb. 7.
I was gonna roll on those tables too, just for fun. But figured Leif has the final say on what we get/have anyway. Since I'm just waitin' on some bolognese, what the heck...

Hmm. Ok. Doesn't really say anything about what to do with multi-classes on this, so I'll just combine.

Shield: 20% (C) + 20% (F) = 40%
1d100=91 That's a negatory.
Chain: 16% (C) + 20% (F) = 36%
1d100=33 Hey! :D

How bout some Banded: 12(C) + 16(F)= 28%
1d100=79

Ring of Protection: 4%
1d100=4 :lol: No. Way. Wow.
Scroll: 16%
1d100=79 Nope.

Dagger: 20% (F) 1d100=42
Sword (which counts for Scimitars): 20% 1d100=77 Dang.
Bow: 2% (HA!) 1d100=69
15 Bolts +2: 20%....really?! That seems high. 1d100=23 Shoot. Close.

1 Potion: 16(C) + 12(F) = 28%
1d100=30 Grrrrr.:rant:

Yeah, I'd rather throw myself on Leif's tender mercies than take these. Not bad...in fact, bloody good for my AC! lol. But Leif's call.

That was when I thought Ellydd was gonna be a 2/2 Cle/Ftr. That not being the case...here's the new percentages, to save you looking up/figuring out percentages...going by the tables and rules in Appendix P [Multiply level by percentage chance]:

Chance for Armor: Chain 24% (as a cleric) 30% (as a fighter)...so if you want to combine, that'd be 54%.
Chance for Shield: 40% (as cleric) 30% (as fighter) = combined chance 70%

Chance for Weapons:
Scimitar 30% (as fighter)
Dagger 30% (as fighter)
Bow (which would be my first choice) 3%
15 +2 arrows 30%

Potion 24% (for cleric) 24% (for fighter)= combined 48% ...But if they're "easy to come by, I'll happily take a couple of Healing and a couple Neutralize Poison please :angel:
Scroll 24% (for cleric) to have...I don't get what these numbers are for, but there's a chance for a 1 spell scroll or a 3 spell scroll. 18% (for fighter) to have a protection scroll.
Ring of Protection 8% (for cleric) zzzzZI-Puh for the fighter. So 8% chance.

Miscellaneous items are left entirely up to your discretion, Leif. Though the ones listed in App. P are suggested only for PCs of 5th or higher level.

I would like...ummm...I dunno...Chime of Opening? Anything Elvin...or *shrug* woodlands related (speak to animals stuff...plant stuff...). I dunno. Be happy with anything, I guess (anything not cursed, that is.:heh:)
[MENTION=24609]Strahd_Von_Zarovich[/MENTION] App. P is the 1e DMG, pp. 226-227.

I don't have the 1e DM guide so I'll be more then happy if you'll tell me how much is the starting wealth of my 4th level dwarf.

Leif - I will be happy to enchant my shield and the axe and get some healing potions, giant strength or heroism.

Helfdan

First Post
Appendix P magic items:
As a 4th level character, there is a 4% chance that any item he does get is +2 instead of +1.

Shield: 32%
Chain mail armor: 60%
Protection Scroll: 20%
Dagger: 40%
Sword 36%
Bow 20%
Potion 28%

Rolls for Magic Items (1d100=3, 1d100=5, 1d100=40, 1d100=51, 1d100=17, 1d100=99, 1d100=100)

Shield: 32% - 3% Weee, I got Shield+2
Chain mail armor: 60% - 5% I got Chain mail+1
Protection Scroll: 20% - 40% fail.
Dagger: 40% - Fail
Sword 36% - 17% I got Sword+1
Bow 20% - 99% Fail
Potion 28% - 100% - Fail.

So Leif, if you approve the results and I do get the items above. I would like to change the sword +1 to axe +1 and take banded mail +1 and the Shield +2. Since I failed the potion roll, I guess no potions for me.

BTW - I will be away from Friday to Monday on vacation.

Helfdan

First Post
Rolls for Magic Items (1d100=3, 1d100=5, 1d100=40, 1d100=51, 1d100=17, 1d100=99, 1d100=100)

Shield: 32% - 3% Weee, I got Shield+2
Chain mail armor: 60% - 5% I got Chain mail+1
Protection Scroll: 20% - 40% fail.
Dagger: 40% - Fail
Sword 36% - 17% I got Sword+1
Bow 20% - 99% Fail
Potion 28% - 100% - Fail.

So Leif, if you approve the results and I do get the items above. I would like to change the sword +1 to axe +1 and take banded mail +1 and the Shield +2. Since I failed the potion roll, I guess no potions for me.

BTW - I will be away from Friday to Monday on vacation.

Actually, the way it works for superior items is, once you know which items you get (in this case, armor, sword, and shield) you roll percentile dice for each. If you roll less than 4% on that second roll, that item is +2. For any +2 itme, you can actually roll again to see if it goes up to +3. For every +3 you get to see if it is +4, etc.

Leif

Adventurer
That's correct, Strahd, the first success means a +1 item. +2 items to start are exceedingly rare, and +3 items at start are all but unheard of unless the character is very high level, say 8-10 in AD&D 1E terms.

DM_Wannabe

First Post
That's correct, Strahd, the first success means a +1 item. +2 items to start are exceedingly rare, and +3 items at start are all but unheard of unless the character is very high level, say 8-10 in AD&D 1E terms.

Are we rolling for our own magic items?

Leif

Adventurer
Are we rolling for our own magic items?

OK, so here are the rolls for:
Shield, Armor and Sword.
+2 items check (1d100=76, 1d100=1, 1d100=2)
Well it seems luck is on my side. I got Armor +2 and Sword+2.
Now let's see if it's +3 for the Armor and the Sword.
+3 Check. (1d100=62, 1d100=77) - Both Fail.

So I have a Shield +1, Armor+2 and Sword+2.
Now I'll have to figure out a nice "Bilbo found the one ring" type of story.
DM_Wannabe is correct, Strahd, I'd rather that you let me make the magic item rolls. I don't want one character to have a disproportionate share of magic goodies, which is a very real possibility if everyone just rolls for them. I can even things out, okay?

Remove ads