• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Leif's Whirtlestaff's Wizards' Academy, Reprise [Pfdr] [IC 04]

Leif

Adventurer
OOC: If you look up the description, Spell Resistance does not apply to Fiery Burst, only saving throw for half damage. The description for flesh golum says immune to all spells subject to spell resistance. If you want to rule otherwise, that's fine.

OOC: In the words of the 3.5 MM, "Golems have immunity to most magical and supernatural effects, except where otherwise noted." Quoting the MM 3.5 again: "Flesh Golem ... Special Qualities: ... Immunity to Magic ..." BONUS INFO: Flesh Golems have Damage Reduction 5/Adamantine!!!!!

OOC: Still looking at this, Bro. The Golem's Immunity does specify immune to any SLA that allow spell resistance. Which book contains Francheska's Fiery Burst ability?

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
[OOC] Fire Elf Immunities

OOC: Ok, Bro, I've read all about golems, so now I need to read about Fran's ability. Which book contains her racial template, or which book contains the Fire Elf race? I'm pretty sure that I remember that being a racial template....

KerlanRayne

Explorer
OOC: It's a Reserve Feat from Complete Mage. The feat itself is page 43 but the rules for Reserve Feats are on page 36, last paragraph in the section "Using Reserve Feats".
Complete Mage said:
As supernatural abilities, these benefits don’t use components, so you can activate them even while bound or gagged. They can’t be countered or dispelled. Arcane spell failure chance does not apply, making the feats attractive to multiclass spellcasters who normally wear armor. Most important, they are unaffected by spell resistance.

Leif

Adventurer
[OOC] Complete Mage - Fiery Burst, Reserve Feat

OOC: According to Complete Mage, Reserve Feats draw upon the magical energy inherent in the caster's body and soul, utilizing (but not consuming) energy available from the caster's prepared, but un-cast, spells to augment the character's magical talents and thereby produce their effect. That's not an exact quote, but it's close.

OOC: "Reserve Feats are designed to allow a caster to stretch their resources over a greater number of encounters." The use of a reserve feat uses a portion of the stored energy of a prepared spell, and that is why it is not as powerful (of lower effective level) than the spell used to power the reserve feat. Because the golem is immune to Fran's prepared spell that supplies the magical power for the Fiery Burst reserve feat, it is also immune to the Fiery Burst feat effect itself that draws its power from those same spells. See, The Law of Conservation of Magical Energy.

KerlanRayne

Explorer
OOC: Seems like the whole Fiery Burst debate is moot anyway. The description says that magical fire attacks act as a Slow spell on the golem. And before anyone says, "Only magical fire attacks that aren't affected by spell resistance", the Clay Golem says the same thing about Disintegrate, which is definitely affected by SR.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sblock=combat info]
offense
rapier +9 dam 1d6+2 crit 18-20/x2 type p
Saves
Fort: +2 Ref: +9 Will: +5
defense
Armor:+1 mithral chain shirt adj +4 ACP +0
spell fail 0% max dex +6; magic: +1 cats grace +2
Armor class: 20 Touch: 16 Flatfooted: 15
[/sblock]

Cappizzio draws his rapier and two scrolls. he reads both scrolls, his muscles first bulking up then toning to that of taunt cabled.

casting bulls str and cats grace from scrolls +4 str and dex

KerlanRayne

Explorer
OOC: OOC: I hope I can interrupt Cap before he starts casting. If not I will change my post.

"A Flesh Golem? That's a decidedly fearsome foe. We might not be properly prepared to face something like this." Kerlan, hunched below the short ceiling, examines the tunnel around him. He finds that it is slightly wider than the average sized doorway. The big problem is the short ceiling. Kerlan sits down on the stone floor, much more comfortable a position in the situation. Suddenly Cappizzio starts pulling out scrolls and prepares to cast spells. Kerlan tries to stop him before be begins.

"Wait! We are not under attack yet. We have time to plan how we handle this battle; an opportunity we rarely get. I think we should catalog our resources and put together a strategy." He then turns and looks at the others around him. "For offense, I can cast Hail of Stone which it would not be able to resist. I also have Cloud of Knives and Steeldance. These, however, may have trouble getting past the creature's thick hide. For defense, I have Shield, but not really anything else. As for strategy, two of my spells would continuously attack our foe while letting me focus solely on defense. Doing do, I believe that it would be very difficult for the creature to hit me. I could act as a distraction so that others may attack it."

It seems that Cappizzio wishes to take this thing on himself. Maybe he can stand next to me in my attempt at a distraction.

"Tylara, you spoke of summoning a boar to attack it. I have studied the summoning spells extensively at school, and I believe our best option may be what's called a Lantern Archon. It's ranged attacks will likely be better able to penetrate it's defenses."

What about everyone else? What resources or strategies do you have?"

OOC: I hope I can interrupt Cap before he starts casting. If not I will change my post.

Leif

Adventurer
The Vault of Larin Karr! -- The Cramped Secret Passage

OOC: S. DeWar, I leave it up to you whether Kerlan was able to get Cappy's attention before he began his castings. Please let us know your decision.

Scotley

Hero
"I agree the Lantern Archon is a good bet. My concern was that most of us are going to want to keep our distance and the boar will charge in close."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads