Low Fantasy RPG?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
While the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG) is not baseline set to be low fantasy, neither is is baseline standard fantasy. Since I'd expect some people to run Kaidan as simply PFs version of an Oriental Adventures game, I didn't want to limit to a specific level of fantasy. That said, many of the supplements and content within conform to a low fantasy setting. In our Way of the Samurai (PFRPG) supplement it is more obvious this is the case, as some of the archetypes would not excell in a high fantasy setting. If I would intentionally set the fantasy level for Kaidan, it would be low fantasy, the setting is very gritty, no matter what level of fantasy it is played.

Razjah

Explorer
Savage Worlds already got the mention.

Rules heavy games that are low fantasy:
Black Company Campaign Setting by Green Ronin
Iron Heroes (by Mike Mearls, published by Monte Cook) is a no-magic game, very easy to make it low fantasy
Mouse Guard for mice based low fantasy
Realm Guard- mouse guard hack to be ranges of the north in LotR
Burning Wheel is pretty much built for low fantasy, and with the subsystems it is very rules heavy while still encouraging and rewarding role playing
The Song of Ice and Fire game (I've heard the pocket edition is the best errata and has the best layout)
Torchbearer

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
It is currently in the hands of Steven Russell and his busy schedule. There some writers that have been added to try and wrap it up soon, but I'm in the air about how close to finishing as you are. I will contact Steve and get an estimated time to completion, that's the best I can do right now.

Mantriel

Explorer
Savage Worlds already got the mention.

Rules heavy games that are low fantasy:
Black Company Campaign Setting by Green Ronin
Iron Heroes (by Mike Mearls, published by Monte Cook) is a no-magic game, very easy to make it low fantasy
Mouse Guard for mice based low fantasy
Realm Guard- mouse guard hack to be ranges of the north in LotR
Burning Wheel is pretty much built for low fantasy, and with the subsystems it is very rules heavy while still encouraging and rewarding role playing
The Song of Ice and Fire game (I've heard the pocket edition is the best errata and has the best layout)
Torchbearer
Thank you!
I know Iron Heroes and I had a (very) brief encounter with "The Burning Wheel" but the rest I know only from hearsay. I don't even know what Torchbearer is. I have to dig these out too, thank you. :)

Razjah

Explorer
Thank you!
I know Iron Heroes and I had a (very) brief encounter with "The Burning Wheel" but the rest I know only from hearsay. I don't even know what Torchbearer is. I have to dig these out too, thank you. :)

Torchbearer is a game by Burning Wheel HQ. It is a "love letter" to the old school dungeon crawls. But it would be able to help create a low fantasy world.

Honestly, I think Burning Wheel is your best option. Light core, with heavy subsystems. It has Beliefs, Instincts, and Traits that roughly function like Aspects from FATE but with greater mechanical options and roleplaying rewards. If you want a lower magic, just say no Faith and Sorcery.

The other nice thing about Burning Wheel is the ease of shifting the genre. For instance, fighting through king's guards to reach him before he flees the thrown room. Your intent is to reach the king before he runs away. (Burning Wheel uses intent a lot).
  • Heroic- Ob 2 [dice pool mechanic, need 2 successes which are a 4,5, or 6 on a d6] to fight your way to the king
  • Gritty- Ob 5

Burning Wheel is also often about normal people, or slightly above normal, in extraordinary situations. You aren't a demigod of war as a fighter, you are someone skilled in combat, but can still be laid low by a crossbow bolt to the head.

Oh, another thing about Burning Wheel, Elves and Dwarves are straight up better than Humans. An 5 lifepath Elf will almost always be better than a 5 lp human without serious twinking out the character. Luckily, the game isn't about competing for damage and combat ability. It is very character driven. Your players have a lot of ways to create narrative and give input into the game world.

Mantriel

Explorer
Honestly, I think Burning Wheel is your best option. ...

From the description you've provided it definitely sounds like it. Thank you.
I know I was intrigued by Burning wheel when it first came out (I believe it was a pdf at first), I bought it and was really excited, but my gaming group wanted to play something else instead, so I never actually got to play with it (and since then I believe a couple of revisions/new editions came out), so I stopped following the Burning Wheel. I guess it's time to pick it up again. :)

Razjah

Explorer
One point of caution, the game is not really meant for large groups. I'm currently in a group of 7, and I'm very sad I can't use Burning Wheel with them. Smaller groups work better, but a group of 4 plays and GM should have no problems. 5 players can work with a really good GM.

dm4hire

Explorer
Torchbearer is a game by Burning Wheel HQ. It is a "love letter" to the old school dungeon crawls. But it would be able to help create a low fantasy world.

I've looked over it and noticed it only goes to lvl 5 I believe. Is that the cap or is there plans to release more books for this game? If it is a one shot game that is awesome, but if not it would be nice to know if there are other books planned.

Remove ads