Low Fantasy RPG?

Mantriel

Explorer
Now that I saw the "sneak peak" of D&D5 I decidedly that I have to move on. My gaming world works just fine, but I could use a new rules system, I was using an AD&D Homebrew so far.

I am looking for a low fantasy rule system, anyone can point me to a good one?

Last edited:

innerdude

Legend
Savage Worlds is a fantastic system for medium-to-medium-low fantasy. I ran a 14-month long campaign with it last year that was one of the best fantasy RPG experiences I've ever had.

The base Deluxe Edition rules can almost get you going right out of the gate, but if you want to tweak the setting / rules to better fit your vision, pick up the Fantasy Companion, and / or the Beasts and Barbarians campaign settings.

If you want a more "militaristic" setting, Weird Wars Rome has tons of cool ideas you could use, while filing off the Roman serial numbers.

Here's the cool thing ----

You could literally pick up every book I've just listed here for under $65 on Amazon.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Seconding Savage Worlds.

You can definitely do low fantasy in GURPS, M&M: W&W, HERO or other "toolkit" systems. GURPS has that almost as its default setting on fantasy campaigns, though.

You could use the rules of D20 Modern to run a low fantasy game, as well as 3.X variants like True20.

Likewise, nearly any modern fantasy and most Steampunk FRPGs will default to a low fantasy feel since the tech is not supposed to be universally trumped by magic. Even if the setting is too modern for your tastes, the rules themselves may suit your needs.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Now that I saw the "sneak peak" of D&D5 I decidedly that I have to move on. My gaming world works just fine, but I could use a new rules system, I was using an AD&D Homebrew so far.

I am looking for a low fantasy rule system, anyone can point me to a good one?

What is it that you're looking for from the system? Story, tactics, dungeon-crawling, flexibility?

Almost all such requests seem to boil down to either Savage Worlds or Fate nowadays. Fate is a lighter on the mechanics and more "narrative" or flexible. SW is more crunchy, but not as crunchy as either WotC edition of D&D. I think I'd say that SW crunchier than AD&D, but their probably in the same ballpark.

Even less traditional than both of those would be Dungeon World, which could be low fantasy with the right choices of playbook/classes.

innerdude

Legend
If you're wanting "gritty," then GURPS and Runequest are both potential choices, though adjudicating GURPS is a massive "trip" to say the least if all you're used to is d20-based stuff. I personally don't care for the type of gameplay and "feel" that GURPS generates, but it's certainly a big hit with a lot of people. (While my primary group is hardcore into Savage Worlds, I have a secondary group that I still play with occasionally that firmly believes GURPS is the "only true system on planet earth.")

Runequest is a little easier, but still a major departure from D&D, and probably one of the "deadliest" fantasy RPGs around. If your group isn't interested in high probability of fatalities during fights, Runequest isn't the place to go. It uses a d100 / percentile "roll under" system.

If you want something that's kind of a "middle ground," then True20 is a potential fit. If you want to try an interesting new die mechanic without straying TOO far off the beaten path, Novus might also be worth a look. It uses a 2d10 / add the dice together mechanic, with some interesting exploding / imploding dice options, but still treads a lot of familiar D&D territory.

Last edited:

Mantriel

Explorer
Thank you very much for your answers! Greatly appreciated. :) So much stuff I have to check out.

I come from an old school RPG background, I used to play AD&D, Ars Magica, Call of Cthullhu, Pendragon, Warhammer Fantasy (a little bit of Hackmaster) etc. We've created a very rules heavy AD&D Clone with which we could play all of the above mentioned campaigns (normal heroic fantasy, call of cthullhu in a fantasy or 20th century setting, pendragon, ars magica, warhammer fantasy etc.).

I have of course heard of Savage worlds, Burning Wheel, Gurps etc., and there are quite a few RPGs I've have never heard of (Weird Wars Rome, M&M, W&W etc.) I have to check them.

But I have the feeling that I am looking for a "rules heavy" system, I'm not sure if this makes any sense to you could you point me to a rules heavy game in this list?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The toolbox systems- GURPS, HERO and M&M:W&W- tend towards being the most rules intensive.

1) M&M:W&W (Mutants & Masterminds: Warrirors & Warlocks): is the fantasy supplement for the D20-derived supers game, Mutants & Masterminds 2Ed. As such, it is as complex as any of the D20 games. The advantage over using W&W over D&D is- despite their similarities, W&W is much more flexible because it is a classless, point-based system with an open structure...like most toolbox games. This is my 2nd favorite toolbox RPG. If you go for it, the Books of Magic supplement will probably also be helpful.

2) HERO (aka Champions): my favorite RPG, bar none. Because the default setting is supers, you need to tone it down to run low fantasy. Fortunately, that's pretty easily done- mostly, you just set a low points ceiling and maximum power. Buying the sourcebooks like Fantasy HERO or Ultimate Martial Artist is less about necessity and more about standardization and lightening of your workload. IOW, convenience. Besides the flexibility, my favorite aspect of this game is that, once you get through character creation- which can take hours because of all the options...and math- you almost never need to use the books at the table. Most of what you need is on your character sheet. That means that, unlike some other complex RPGs, play at the table can be fairly rapid indeed. Point-based, open structure.

3) GURPS: probably the grittiest of the bunch, and its default rules tend towards low fantasy. Lots of sourcebooks covering RW cultures, weapons and martial arts styles. (Like many gamers, the sourcebooks are my favorite GURPS products.) there are supplements that let you expand into high-fantasy type campaigns. Point.-based, open structure. It is one of my least favorite systems, but it can't deny its power, flexibility, and the fact that it is probably closest to your goal right out of the box.

Last edited:

Derren

Hero
Rolemaster is probably the most rules heavy game from the list.

And if you speak german or have no problem with having only one older core book and having to make up everything else by yourself you can look at Das Schwarze Auge / The black eye.

It has a slight D&D flair, although it stays much more grounded and magic is not as prevelant. I wouldn't exactly call it rules heavy, but I am also someone who did not have any trouble with 3E grapple rules.
The setting is a mix of middle earth and european folklore and history.

Mantriel

Explorer
Thank you!

Yeah I'm familiarizing myself with DSA right now (although I've heard they are going to publish a 5e for that too).

Rolemaster... I definitely need to check that one out. :)

A

amerigoV

and there are quite a few RPGs I've have never heard of (Weird Wars Rome, M&M, W&W etc.) I have to check them.

Weird War Rome is a Savage Worlds setting. Another Savage Setting you might look at is Beasts and Barbarians - a great setting to get your Conan on!

Remove ads