• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] From Whence None Return

Systole

First Post
The mummies are destroyed, and with Taniwha now conscious it's a simple matter of retreating a short distance. Deprived of heat, the brown mold quickly falls dormant and begins to shrivel, and it's the work of a few minutes to cleanse it completely with a bit of magical cold.

A search of the mummies' bodies and sarcophagi reveals little. Evidently, they were placed here as guardians, and their master didn't particularly care to entrust his servants with any valuables. Even the mummy dust, which might otherwise be valuable to an alchemist, is rendered largely worthless by the presence of brown mold.

Proceeding further into the dungeon, the hallway opens into a moderately large chamber filled with closely-spaced pillars. Unlike the rest of the dungeon, the floors and ceiling here are made of polished slabs of colored glass. Each seems to have a different color, and on the whole the effect is rather tacky. On the far side of the room, a closed door leads onward.

[sblock=Basic Map]This isn't quite the right map, but it will do for now. Yes, the center pillar is different, but you can't see details from the hallway.

78paper.jpg

5' wide pillars, 5' space between pillars.[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]I don't think it's worthwhile to go through the brown mold clean-up at this point. An easy solution would be Ray of Frost, so that's what I'm assuming you're doing.

Any healing you'd like to do, preparations you'd like to make, or rolls you'd like to make, go ahead. Nothing is threatening you at the moment. Also, the original adventure plan had one more encounter before the boss, and I think it makes more sense to leave it in.

I'll will go through XP in the next few days to see if anyone leveled.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"So, no hungry brown cold, no nasty mummies. Just a garish room of glass. Is being a necromancer such a bland way of life that they have rooms such as these to remind them of what they lost?"
Actions:

[sblock=Vincenzo's stat block]

Item in hand: Rapier
off hand: empty

AC 20 Touch 15, FF 16) <<----
lunging feat: 10 foot reach AC 18 Touch 13, FF 14)

HP: 77/79
Init +2, CMB +9,vs trip: +11, vs diarm: 13 CMD 21, vs trip: 23, vs disarm: 25
Fort +7, Reflex +4, Will +3; Perception +8, Stealth +4

Attack
Rapier +13/+8 (1d6+7, 15-20/x2)
Long comp bow +9/+4 (1d8+2, *3)
arrows used: 2

Gear:
[wand cure light: 49/50]; sunrod X 4; Rations X8; 13 arrows;
[potion: cure light X 13]; [Potion: Cure Moderate X 2]]
[/sblock][/QUOTE]

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
OOC: Systole, thanks for taking over the DM role.

Menik does not have any cold spells prepared today. He can cast ray of frost once but only by using up his arcane bond spell for the day, which he is not willing to do since the mold can be bypassed without that. So, the brown mold is still there.

Systole

First Post
[sblock=OOC]I saw you had an open cantrip slot, and since there's no time pressure, I thought Menik could learn Ray of Frost. If that's not the case, then Maui can talk a winter spirit into making it happen. It's honestly more important to me to make a clean break here, because the mummy/brown mold encounter is (a) fiddly, (b) not the kind of encounter that plays to my strengths as a GM, and (c) several weeks past its expiration date.

TLDR: Sorry if the transition is a bit rough, but I'm invoking GM fiat and moving on to the next encounter, Ray of Frost or no.[/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem says, "Ya know, if I was the paranoid sort I'd wonder if the different colored slabs in front of us did something special based on the color. Anybody want me to start prancing around out there and testing the theory?" Lem takes a copper piece out of his pocket as he says this and flips it onto a color a few feet away to give the idea a quick check.

OOC: Thanks, Systole.

kinem

Adventurer
[sblock=ooc]Detect magic is an opposition school spell for Menik so it's taking up 2 of his 4 cantrip slots.

However, he has an open 1st level slot. He can prepare ray of frost with that.

As long as he's preparing spells, he'll go ahead and fill up his new 4th level slots.

We should figure out what healing was done.[/sblock]

Menik says "Be careful Lem. I bet this is another trap."

[sblock=Menik mini stats]
Menik

AC 17 (touch 13, ff 14) w/mage armor, hp 51/51
Init +3, CMB +4, CMD 17, Fort +5, Reflex +6, Will +6; Perception +9 (low-light vision), Stealth +10

attack longsword +4 (1d8+1, 19/x2) or dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19/x2)

force missile (Sp): (1d4+3, as magic missile, 8/day)

Arcane bond: ring; cast any spell in spellbook 1/day except Abj or Div

DC 15 + spell level; (& = evocation, +1 DC, +3 damage, school spell)
(- = abj, * = div: need 2 slots)
(~ = fire, +1 DC)

spells/day: 4 cantrips, 6+1& 1st, 4+1& 2nd, 3+1& 3rd, 2+1& 4th
concentration: +12 (+5 Int, +7 level)
lesser metamagic rod, selective (3/day, up to 3rd level spell, exclude up to 4 creatures from area of effect)

Level 0: message, disrupt undead (40', +6 ranged touch, 1d6), detect magic*

Level 1: mage armor, magic missile& (1d4+4,1d4+1,1d4+1,1d4+1) (x3) (cast 1)
chill touch (7 touches; 1d6 damage + 1 str damage (Fort part DC 16)
or undead panic 1d4+7 rounds (Will neg DC 16)),
ear-piercing scream& (50', 5d6+3, daze 1 rnd, Fort DC 17 1/2 + no daze),
(0th level) ray of frost& (1d3+3)

Level 2: mirror image (1d4+2, 7 min),
flaming sphere&~ (3d6+3, Reflex neg DC 19, 160' range, 7 rounds) (x2),
toppling magic missile& (1d4+4,1d4+1,1d4+1,1d4+1; trip +12) (x2) (cast 1)

Level 3: haste (7 targets, 7 rounds) (cast)
halt undead (170', Will DC 18 neg (Int only), up to 3 undead, 7 rounds,
ends if they are attacked or take damage),
fireball&~ (9d6+3, Reflex half DC 20, 20' radius, 680' range) (x2) (cast 1)

Level 4: (3rd level) haste, ball lightning& (3d6, 3d6, 1st attack +3 damage) (x2)

Gear: 4 days' rations, potion of CLW (1d8+1), periscope, pearl of power (1st level) (used to restore a magic missile)
Party gear: scroll of locate object
[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Uh, no, no prancing on glass floors unless it is meant to be pranced upon and as Menik just said, It has to be a trap."

jbear

First Post
Maui had moved defensively over to Taniwha's side sensing his companion was badly suffering from the cold. Gripping him by the back of the neck he dragged Taniwha unceremoniously from the room back to the safety of the area filled with fake treasure. He waited there until his wounds could be tended and the room cleared of mold.

Once they had recoverd as well as possible and cleared the room of the freezing fungus, and were ready to take on the next challenge Maui regarded the tacky multicoloured tiled floor with a puzzled look having reverted to his human form. He looked to Menik who was the resident puzzle master and then back to the possibly trapped floor. "You know, Maui does not like te traps. Maybe Maui can pray to Tane for help. If Maui was te Wind, I pick you up and carry you to te other side. No touching te floor. No touching te trap?"

Maui searches the room intently for any signs that there might be a threat to flying creatures that might spoil his plan.

[sblock=OOC]Thanks Systole, much appreciated your taking the game to its conclusion.

Healing: By my calculations Maui took 47 non lethal damage in the encounter and Taniwha took 41 non lethal damage. I am not entirely certain my interpretation of NLDmg works but I am guessing that effectively Taniwha currently has 17/58 HPs and Taniwha has 23/74 (only 4 real damage).

Taniwha received 25 Hps of healing from Weel which takes him back to 34 HPs

My CLW wand has only one charge remaining so I don't know if someone can spare me some usage of your healing wand. Maui and Taniwha tend to get up close to where the hurt is during a battle, so we probably need them healthy for the final encounter.

Given the dimensions of the room in front of us which looks to be another trap, I am going to revert back to human form. How long are you ajudicating the clean up took us Systole (for buffs and how long I have left with them). Maui will use his last wand charge on himself healing 4 real HP of damage which also heals 4 non lethal damage as well. That will take Maui's effective HPs to 31. He will then drink his 2 potions of CLW to heal another 13 HPs of non lethal damage leaving his effective HPs at 44 HPs

Regards to this room, Maui could turn into a medium air elemental (100 ft perfect flight movement) and carry people to the stairs on the other side one by one: Vincenzo first as meat shield, Weel, Lem, Taniwha and then Menik last as our fragile but very useful mage. That might bypass the challenge fairly quickly and get us on to the final encounter more swiftly.

The only question that remains would be if Menik (or anyone else) could detect a danger to flying creatures that might foil such a simple and easy plan. Maui will try to detect anything with straight perception (Roll=18 or 16 if Aspect of the Falcon has expired) that might stick out as an anti flying type element to the trap.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Lvl 8 Stats]
[http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Maui_(jbear1979) Maui]
Initiative: +2
AC: 21 (25) (Touch 14 (18); FFt 18 (21))
HP: 74 Current: 74 (44)
CMB: +12 CMD: 25 Fort: +9 Reflex: +8 (+9) Will: +11

Conditions: Longstrider (7hrs); Mage Armour (1 hr); Delay Poison (8hrs); Aspect of the Falcon (8 mins; +3 perception), Bulls Str (16 mins), Great Magic Fang (8 hrs), Barkskin (160 mins)
Poisoned (-1 STR)

In Hand:
Cold Iron MW Scimitar: +13 (+12)/+8(+7); 1d6+6 (+5) (Crit 18-20:x2)
and Heavy Shield

Spells: Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Know Direction, Detect Poison
1st: CLW 0/2; Longstrider: Used, Detect Snares and Pits: Used, Aspect of the Falcon:Used
2nd: Bull's Strength 0/2, Bark Skin: Used, Delay Poison: Used
3rd: Mad Monkeys, Greater Magic Fang: Used, Resinous Skin, Empty Slot: Used to Summon Nature's Ally
4th: Thorn Body, Empty Slot: Used to Summon Nature's Ally
Wild Shape: 2/4 uses left per day

[sblock=Leopard Shape]
Medium animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 16 (23), touch 16 (19) , flat-footed 12 (19)
Speed 30 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee:Bite +13; 1d8+7; 2 Claws: +13; 1d4 +7 dmg
Special: Trip

[/sblock]

[sblock=Lizard Bird Shape]
Deinonychus
Medium animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 16 (23), touch 16 (19) , flat-footed 12 (19)
Speed 60 ft.
Melee:Bite +13; 1d6+7; 2 Talons: +13; 1d8+7 dmg; Foreclaws: +7; 1d4+4
Special: Pounce

[/sblock]

[sblock=Dire Tiger Shape III]
Dire Tiger
Large Animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 17 (25) , touch 15 (19) , flat-footed 14 (21)
Speed 40 ft. (70 ft)
Melee:Bite +14 (17); 2d6+8 (+10) (+Grab); 2 Claws: +14 (+17) ; 2d4+8 dmg (+10) (+Grab)
Special: Pounce, Rake
http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6753809_f520.jpg
[/sblock]

Wand of CLW Uses: 0/16
Wand of Magic Fang: 44/50
Wand of Speak with Animals: 46/50
Wand of Mage Armor: 46/50
Rod of Lesser Extend: 0/3
Potions: CLW 0/2
Flasks: Holy Water 2/2
Sling Bullets: 19/20

Taniwha
Initiative: +7
AC: 22 (27)
HP: 58 Current: 58 (42)
CMB: Trip/Disarm +11 CMD: 26 (29 vs Trip) Fort: +7 Reflex: +11 (+12) Will: +5 (+9 vs enchant)

Conditions: Mage Armor (1 hr), Bull Strength (16 mins)

Bite: +11 (+15); 1d6+4 (+7) dmg; special: Trip
2x Claws: +11 (+14) ; 1d3+4 (+6) dmg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
"I'll check for magic." Menik casts detect magic and scans the pillared room.

ooc: perception [roll0]

ooc: Menik doesn't have the depth of combat experience that a fighter would but with more hp than an ogre he's hardly fragile :)

Remove ads