Hair: Short, brown, mussed
Eyes: Brown
Nationality: American
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Place of BirthSalt Lake City, Utah

Group Affiliations: Salton Stars
Allegiance(s) UCLA

First Appearance: Salton City Needs Heroes! - 'rejects' special

History: Max was a hyper-active nerd with an over-active sense of curiosity. Between climbing too high on trees, wandering abandoned mines, and asking bullies innocent-but-insulting questions ("Is having such a thick forehead an evolutionary advantage, do you think?"), it's rather amazing Max made it to adulthood more or less in one piece.

During a backpacking trip after finishing high school, Max tried a rare hallucinagen from the Amazon. He swore it let him 'reach out and tug the strings of fate.' Whether or not that's what started it, all we know is that Max was subsequently kidnapped to be human sacrifice for a demon-worshipping cult. Then, when the experimental AI of a government satellite chose to sacrifice itself by intercepting a radiocative meteorite, the flaming remnants crash-landed in the crop-circle where the cult had gathered. So, instead of being the human sacrifice, Max was its sole survivor. Oh, and he got super-powers.

Who knew a summer backpacking in Europe could be so eventful?[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]

Note: Values which change with Max's size are indicated as three values in the following order: Shrunken / Normal / Enlarged

Power Level: 6
Power Points: 100
Hero Points: 1

ABILITIES: 16 PP
Strength: 1/10/10 (-5/+0+0)
Dexterity: 16 (+3)
Constitution: 12 (+1)
Intelligence: 16 (+3)
Wisdom: 10 (+0)
Charisma: 12 (+1)

SAVING THROWS: 17 PP
Toughness: +6/+1/+1 = 5 protection + 1 CON/ +1 CON / +1 CON
Fortitude: +6 = 5 BASE + 1 CON
Reflex: +10 = 7 BASE +3 DEX (half damage fail, no damage success)
Will: +5 = 5 BASE

COMBAT: 12 PP
Damage Bonus: -5/+0/+0
* Sneak attack +3
Base Attack: +6/+2/+0
Defense: +8/+4/+2
Flatfooted: +6/+4/+0
Initiative: +3

SKILLS: 44 ranks (11 PP)
Acrobatics 8 (+11)
Concentration 8 (+9)
Diplomacy 4 (+5)
Disable Device 4 (+7/+9 with MW tools)
Escape Artist 4 (+7)
Equipment 4 (20 ep)
Intimidate 0 (-6/+0/+4)
Stealth 4 (+19/+7/-1)

FEATS: 10 PP
Acrobatic Bluff
Defensive Attack
Eidetic Memory
Evasion 2
Improvised Tools
Move By Action
Sneak Attack 2
Takedown Attack

POWERS: 34 PP

Shrinking 8 [8 pp] (Size: Tiny)
AP: Growth 8 [1 pp] (Size: Huge. Flaws: Dispersal)

Protection 5 [5 pp] (LINKED TO Shrinking)

Bouncing 4 [6 pp] (Ricochet 2, Flaws: only while Tiny)
AP: Leaping 6 [1 pp] (Flaws: only while Tiny)

Strike 6 [3 pp] (Flaws: only while Tiny)

Device 1[3 pp] (Gliding cape, hard to lose. Flaws: only while Huge)
Gliding cape:
Super Movement: Slow Fall
Flight 3 (Flaw: Gliding)

EQUIPMENT 20/20 ep
Smart phone, mini-tracer, night vision goggles, flashlight, gas mask, taser (simple), MW lockpicks, MW electronic kit

DRAWBACKS: None
COMPLICATIONS: None

TRADE OFFS: None

Cost summary: Abilities 16 + Skills 44 ranks (11 pp) + Feats 10 + Powers 34 + Combat 12 + Saves 17 = 100 PP[/sblock]

Max isn't a traditional size-changer, so I kind of struggled with how to stat out the powers. The massive strength spike for Growth was especially problematic. I debated trying something with Elongation or Alternate form instead, but they all seemed like they'd need modifying, so I stuck with the power that fit best name-wise.

I know growth doesn't list "normal strength" as an actual flaw, but I figured if it was worth +1 / rank when applied to Shrinking (offsetting only -1 Str / rank), it seemed reasonable that it net -1 / rank to lose +2 Str / rank.

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Max isn't a traditional size-changer, so I kind of struggled with how to stat out the powers. The massive strength spike for Growth was especially problematic. I debated trying something with Elongation or Alternate form instead, but they all seemed like they'd need modifying, so I stuck with the power that fit best name-wise.

I know growth doesn't list "normal strength" as an actual flaw, but I figured if it was worth +1 / rank when applied to Shrinking (offsetting only -1 Str / rank), it seemed reasonable that it net -1 / rank to lose +2 Str / rank.

Actually.... From Ultimate Power.
Dispersal (-2): You increase in size by dispersing your bodily mass in some fashion over a large area. You do not gain increase weight, strength, constitution, or carrying capacity associated with growth or the increased resistance to knockback (since your mass doesn't increase), although you do gain the other effects of your increased size. This flaw is most often associated with growing characters that also become insubstantial, turning into mist, for example, in which case growth may be linked to that effect, although not required.

Ultimate power also has some nice extras for shrinking:

Normal Toughness [+1]: Toughness stays the same.
Normal Strength[+1]: No strength penalties.
Normal Movement [+1]: No change in movement.

There's also compression [+3], which does the same as normal toughness/strength BUT also adds in one rank of density per rank of shrinking.

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Jkason-

The chartacter is looking good. As soon as you are satisfied you may add the character to the Call List (rogues gallery/roll call). Also, I will post several scenes tonight that will get your character into the game.

Everyone-

I added the list of known anarchs/archons to the Call sheet. That list will grow and I may divide it into two sections, background npcs and ones you actually encountered.

jkason

First Post
Actually.... From Ultimate Power.

Thanks! Dispersal looks perfect for what I want to do with Max's growth powers. :)

But I noticed something in the extras for Shrinking you list:

Normal Toughness [+1]: Toughness stays the same.

I only have the core rules, and in there, the only penalties are -1 Str per rank (min 1) and -5 ft. move per size category. Is there a toughness penalty that Ultimate Power adds? Is the core ranking mechanic for growth / shrinking the same? (4 ranks per size category)? Depending on the answers there, I may have to do some re-tooling to Max's power points.

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

jason

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
But I noticed something in the extras for Shrinking you list:
I only have the core rules, and in there, the only penalties are -1 Str per rank (min 1) and -5 ft. move per size category. Is there a toughness penalty that Ultimate Power adds?

Yes and No. It appears in Ultimate power, but seems to be part of the the reason for some of the inconsistent toughness numbers in the animal section of the core rules. (Compare a bat a rat and a cat. Each has 10 Con but somehow the bat has a higher toughness rating).

Is the core ranking mechanic for growth / shrinking the same? (4 ranks per size category)? Depending on the answers there, I may have to do some re-tooling to Max's power points.
Yes it is. Since the rule for shrinking based toughness penalties only seems to exist in the Ultimate Power (I haven't check the newest release of the CORE Rules or the Pocket Guide), I'll hand weave it so you won't have to deal with it unless you seriously want to.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Since the rule for shrinking based toughness penalties only seems to exist in the Ultimate Power (I haven't check the newest release of the CORE Rules or the Pocket Guide), I'll hand weave it so you won't have to deal with it unless you seriously want to.

I downloaded my PDF of the core rules from the M&M site just a week or so ago, and it doesn't have the toughness penalty (at least, not in the power description. I haven't dug through the GM section, say, which might reference it?). If you're okay with letting it go, I'm all for it. :)

Updated the sheet in the previous post, subbing in the Dispersal flaw for the other two on his growth, and updated con, fort, toughness, and defense to account for the new status quo on Max. I'll get it posted to the RC shortly.

Thanks again! :)

jason

jkason

First Post
Jkason-
A clarification, Max is in his costume.

Sorry 'bout that. I meant that text to indicate that what Max is wearing *is* his costume; at least, it's the best costume he's got. He's a poor college student, so I figure he spent his money on the gear (goggles, taser, materials for the cape-glide rig) and didn't have anything else left for an actual, polished outfit. So he grabbed stuff that matched his color scheme (and, in the case of cargo pants, let him put his gear out of the way), and that's all he's got at the moment. Looks a little something like this:

[sblock=Heromachine approximation]
Dord.jpg
[/sblock]

The exact circumstances that lead to him being carried by the wind from Westwood to slightly east of Moreno Valley is up to you.

I did not, however, realize Max was supposed to have blown all the way to where he was picked up. I updated Max's explanation. :)

Also Max's write up is looking good.

Cool! I'll throw it in the Roll Call thread.

Remove ads