New 5E Epic Books coming in 2020

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I've just checked my files. I no longer have a separate cover image for Ascension and I also do not have a back cover created for Ascension. So it will take a bit of work to sort those things out. Additionally the pdf is 162 pages and needs to be a multiple of four for print. Hopefully I can edit this pdf otherwise we might be in trouble. :confused:
So a thought just occurred to me; if the book's page count needs to be a multiple of four, and it's currently 162 pages, why not throw your old entry for Surtur - which is six pages long - in there? That would solve the problem nicely, and it would serve as an appendix of what a sample deity looks like.

So a thought just occurred to me; if the book's page count needs to be a multiple of four, and it's currently 162 pages, why not throw your old entry for Surtur - which is six pages long - in there? That would solve the problem nicely, and it would serve as an appendix of what a sample deity looks like.

Provided I can edit the pdf (which I haven't checked yet because I am occupied with this new book) the page thing won't be a problem. I think worst case scenario I can just delete 2 pages.

If I can't edit the pdf at all then the plans are in trouble because I no longer have a non-pdf version of Ascension.

I may need to totally rework the front cover - I still have that cover art so that won't take more than an hour.

As regards the latest Epic Bestiary: Mega Gods progress, things are going well. However, the artist still has 10 illustrations to do, almost all for the third section. At best we are getting 3 illustrations done per week.

So by the time they are completed I should have all the writing done. Plus I booked 2 weeks off work (starting 2 weeks from today) to get the whole thing wrapped up.

I have added my proprietary 5E Divinity rules* in an Appendix to the back of the book. I had to change things slightly from Ascension. I added an extra category between Old One and First One (this new Status is called Ancient One). I also added a new category to Demiurge and fleshed that out a bit. Demiurge makes a bit more sense now.

ie. A First One was one of six (sentient) dimensions within a Universe. A Demiurge is a single sentience that has conquered more than one of these dimensions. A Time Lord is a sentient Universe in control of all 6 dimensions. So the Demiurge now has 2, 3, 4 or 5 of these.

*A very basic overview where (for example) I list the number of Divine Abilities (etc.) but I don't detail individual powers (that would of course require its own book). So for those you could just use Ascension as a guide. But I think you could still easily create a working prototype of a deity of any level of power in 15 minutes using just this basic system outline (albeit fudge the divine abilities).

Thanks for the update, UK! Hope we can see the final product then at some point this spring, very excited :)

Hey Rhuarc amigo.

Its definitely shaping up to be a worthy sequel. I'd love to do add a bit more to it (both writing and art) although I suspect I need to know when to stop adding stuff (one of my many flaws as a writer) otherwise the book will just keep growing. Like a Lernean Hydra I already split it into two and now each half is bigger than when I cut it up.

Rhuarc

Explorer
I strongly support this need for finding a clear stopping point! You can always revisit these topics/monster focus later on and write a sequel with the other ideas you have now. Much better (for you and your funds and us as consumers) to get more books at a faster rate with a smaller page count, than the opposite.

I think a very important part of your publishing/writing future will be to set realistic goals ahead of a project and then sticking to it! Adding new stuff is great and all, but if this always delays the publishing date of a book so much that it might never see the light of day, or at least to a point when people lose interest, then you'll miss out on a lot more than you'll gain with these constant additions.

Sure, in the end you must be satisfied with the product, but finding a good balance is rather paramount in my opinion.

I strongly support this need for finding a clear stopping point! You can always revisit these topics/monster focus later on and write a sequel with the other ideas you have now. Much better (for you and your funds and us as consumers) to get more books at a faster rate with a smaller page count, than the opposite.

Agreed. I just end up going down the rabbit hole with ideas and then I'd end up taking another six months. Not adding any monsters* beyond the current 30-33 (...figure off the top of my head but in around that).

*...even though the six cut monsters are cool. :unsure:

I think a very important part of your publishing/writing future will be to set realistic goals ahead of a project and then sticking to it!

Yes I am terrible at that.

Although in a normal week I only have (at best) 25 hours free time to work on this stuff. Its easy to get hung up on some design issues and lose a day or two's progress. Plus I also have to allocate a few hours of that time to doing the layouts for the artist.

Adding new stuff is great and all, but if this always delays the publishing date of a book so much that it might never see the light of day, or at least to a point when people lose interest, then you'll miss out on a lot more than you'll gain with these constant additions.

I know. I probably should have delayed mentioning the book until it was virtually finished.

Sure, in the end you must be satisfied with the product, but finding a good balance is rather paramount in my opinion.

I won't release it until I am happy. But at the same time, in my own head I know I need to draw the line at some point otherwise I just keep adding cool ideas.

I might do a special edition hardback (with the stuff that failed to make the cut) after the two softcovers.

Hey all,

as I'm sure Rhuarc could have predicted the book is not yet finished. I won't say when its going to be ready other than, sadly it won't be before the end of this month.

Writing and art are progressing at a steady pace but not as fast as I'd hoped. Apologies for the delays, what more can I say.

On the positive note, I do think the book is really starting to look good. The monster line up has both variety and depth. The Challenge Ratings are pretty evenly spread. I have tried to make each monster as tough as possible within its own Challenge Rating. I have quite a few really cool monsters* in the book no one will have heard of (as well as some famous ones you'll know). I hope the extra features will prove interesting (especially for building your own gods, monsters and other things). The amount of artwork in the book is crazy. Plus there are a few surprises in there I won't reveal.

*From esoteric and mythological sources.

I'm really enjoying creating things like this again and even though I sometimes let my imagination get me into trouble, adding the odd thing here and there, cough sorry Rhuarc cough, its always for the betterment of the book as a whole.

I'll keep plugging away at it and get it done as soon as possible, don't worry I won't let it become my own personal Silmarillion/Winds of Winter...I hope. ;)

Remove ads