Obi-Wan Kenobi (spoilers)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
So, you know better than George Lucas?

It's not YOUR universe. You might not LIKE the rules the Star Wars universe operates under, but you can't make them go away by denying them.
What 'rules'? He's the ultimate seat-of-his-pants GM who forgets vital plot points he told you ten minutes ago.

Honestly, it's not hard to know better than Lucas. One of the main reasons it's pointless to argue about anything dealing with this franchise is that the top person source, Lucas himself, is vague, inconsistent, and contradictory all at the same time and has been for 40 years. He constantly lays down the law with one hand and picks it back up again with another, over and over and over again. heck, he's wanted us to buy that he 'had it all planned out decades ago' when it's patently obvious he did not.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
What 'rules'? He's the ultimate seat-of-his-pants GM who forgets vital plot points he told you ten minutes ago.

Honestly, it's not hard to know better than Lucas. One of the main reasons it's pointless to argue about anything dealing with this franchise is that the top person source, Lucas himself, is vague, inconsistent, and contradictory all at the same time and has been for 40 years. He constantly lays down the law with one hand and picks it back up again with another, over and over and over again. heck, he's wanted us to buy that he 'had it all planned out decades ago' when it's patently obvious he did not.
With respect to story events (including his own history), you're right. George isn't good on consistency and detail. But delivering a set of movies based on recapturing the feel of action serials like Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon? He does that pretty well. And for serials like this, the good guys are good, bad guys are bad - the moral questions are relatively simple, not layered with tons of nuance. Add on to that a light side vs the corrupting, seductive dark side and you really do have some simple rules to follow.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
The story arc does parallel LotR, in that if Vader had been killed earlier, he wouldn't be around to defeat the Emperor*, and if Gollum had been killed earlier, he wouldn't be around to destroy the ring once Frodo was finally corrupted. In both cases evil contains the seeds of its own destruction, and fate/The Force required that the good people give mercy to the evil and corrupt.

(*I'm ignoring Episode IX, as it bringing back the Emperor is trash)

Emperor returning by itself isn't bad just was poorly explained. Being cloned is an obvious one.
No, in my opinion it is bad writing. It sabotages the story arc of the original and prequel trilogies. It betrays the existing themes and makes them incoherent.

Episode IX had some beautiful stuff in it, and I was able to squint past a lot of junk in it to enjoy it in the theater, but the writing is absolutely terrible overall. It betrays both the original story and the new characters.

Zardnaar

Legend
No, in my opinion it is bad writing. It sabotages the story arc of the original and prequel trilogies. It betrays the existing themes and makes them incoherent.

Episode IX had some beautiful stuff in it, and I was able to squint past a lot of junk in it to enjoy it in the theater, but the writing is absolutely terrible overall. It betrays both the original story and the new characters.
Ross was crap the execution was off.

I don't think cloning the emperor is a great idea wasn't great whent they did it in Dark Empire 1991.

But if he did return it needs to make sense in universe and cloning is the obvious one.

They didn't make that clear in Ross and messed up the execution and it was a stupid movie as well.

Dark Empire still had the same issues you raised but they did explain it and wrapped it up in a way Ross didn't eg the Emperor can just keep coming back at another location as RoS left that door open.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I binged it all at once. It was good. Nothing groundbreaking. The best parts were when Obi-Wan was very clearly still in love with Padme (make it overt cowards!), the part where Vader's helmet is broken and they mix the two voices together, basically anything involving Reva, and the part where he says "hello there." Also the one-scene wonder that was that drug pushing girl.

My least favorite parts were when Disney refuses to stop trying to make Kumail a thing; he seems like a swell enough guy but he's just a terrible actor. He's like the anti-Cara Dune. Flea also took me out of it, but that's probably more on me than him.

I liked the first episode and last episode pretty well and found most of the middle episodes a bit of a slog. I watched it episodically week to week, I wonder if it might have worked better if I had waited and binged it in one sitting and treated it as four hour movie instead of being underwhelmed week after week until I got to the end.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
My take is that he heard nothing. He was not looking for news, and was living as a hermit in a backwater planet in the outer rim
He worked in town with crowds of people and bought goods there. It would have been impossible for him not to hear news. He didn't need to look for it.

Remove ads