Of Wealth and Taste [OOC] [Accepting Alts]

shady

Explorer
I'm easy whatever way on the adventure type. I'm generally OK on class and PrC so if we need a specific "filler" then fine - although if it's going to be CSI: Sigil I quite fancy the Master Inquisitive from Eberron.

What sources do you plan to use/permit besides core and WotC planar stuff ... Portals & Planes?

Eluvan

First Post
Yep. Although since this is Planescape it might be relevant and I feel I should point out that the Fiend and Celestial racial classes from Savage Species, as they stand, are quite insanely powerful. I'm not quite sure yet how big a deal that is; we might be able to come up with an alternative for most of them - though something like a Ghaele Eladrin seems irretrievably broken to me (which is a shame since they're probably my favourite kind of celestial). Basically, if you have a burning urge to play something, whether it's a Goblin, a Mephit, the aforementioned Ghaele Eladrin, or a Balor (ya, I don't know how that would work either), tell me and if I like your concept I'll do my very best to come up with something workable for you.

Kangaxx

First Post
Funny, that you should mention mephits. That was the first thing I thought of when I mentioned a character from Savage Species. I probably should avoid annoying the other pcs though.

As for power level, I'd like it to be reasonably high for my potential monster. Without an ECL 10+, I wouldn't be able to make much and still get all of the racial abilities, much less class levels. On the other hand, I'm already in Isida's fine epic game, and one of those is enough for me. So I guess I'd be happy anywhere from 10-20. Lower than that would be ok too, but I'd probably just be slapping a template on a more normal race rather than making a monster.

As for the campaign details, I like an rp heavy game, and I'm always a fan of epic plots and deeds. player-dm collaboration could be interesting, I've never really done that ol. I think we'll need more definite character ideas before we can say how or if they should be tied together.

Ferrix

Explorer
You know what I've been itching to play... a group of plane-hopping rogues/thieves. Although this works best with a gestalt setup, it could be done with the standard rules.

Just an idea, and a direction for a themed game. Which I find usually work well in a PbP game.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Gestalt is usually better for smaller groups, I did gestalt characters for my own Heirs to the Burning Thrones, and if I did it again, I would not have gestalt characters in such a small group. The questions for ECL and saves is usually headache-inducing.

On the theme of rogues/thieves, that could be really fun. Eluvan, do you have Manual of the Planes or the Planar Handbook? If we do that, it could be fun to be a Gatecrasher (MotP). Oh! Or if you have Tome and Blood, a Wayfarer... Just some random suggestions. I could do either idea with a nomad psion as well. :)

shady

Explorer
I feel I ought to be giving something back here.

I really got into planescape as a result of the computer game, and after that ran and played in a variety of 2E planescape games, nothing yet in 3E.

What I like:

- the variety of races and settings. There are some fantastic races in Planescape which sit on an edge between fantasy and science fiction, which in turn give the other "pure fantasy" races an edge. Who knows where the Mercane/Arcane come from, for example? Or their motivations?

- an infinity of possibilities. For me the most exciting settings are: Sigil, which is the hub of all that variety, and the Astral Plane, with its floating husks of long dead gods. I guess both of these are really exploration settings - Sigil is a great setting to explore all that variety and complexity, since it all comes together there. In the Astral Plane you're exploring the mysteries of the distant past.

If it's a Sigil campaign then I'd like to go for a Githzerai monk/master inquisitive (as a concept, I still need to work out whether it's actually possible). If it's an exploratory campaign ... hmm have to think.

Boddynock

First Post
Hey, Eluvan!

Me! Me! Me!

Any chance I could sign on as an alternate (seeing as the company is already full)? I've never had a chance to play PS but fell in love with it the first time I saw it.

And the chance to play a psionic character would be icing on the cake!

Boddynock

Last edited:

Eluvan

First Post
Okay:
Boddynock, taitzu, you're both signed up as alternates. Sorry I couldn't accomodate you as players, but who knows, you might get lucky!

It seems as though the best compromise in terms of levels would be somewhere around level 11, I think. Which on the planar scheme of things would make you players, but not quite in the big leagues yet. A fairly comfortable place to be, I think. :)

Ferrix, an artificer would be fine. I like them alot too, they're cool. With the levels we'll be looking at you'll likely have crafted some items of your own, so let me encourage you not to stick to the DMG item listings. Branch out, make your own stuff! The item creation rules are pretty simple to get your head round so long as you have a calculator handy, and it really adds perosnality to the character. If you don't want to wade through the item creation rules yourself, tell me the kind of thing you're aiming to make and I can do the hard work for you. I admit that I like political intrigue myself, so there probably will be some involved unless the entire group has little interest in it. That doesn't mean you have to get involved in the politics of course - you can remain aloof from it all and I'll do my very best to keep things interesting for you.

Kangaxx - bear in mind that part of the beauty of Savage Species is the ability to play a monster from whatever level you like and have it pretty well balanced with another class. That said, templates are fun too! Again, if there is anything wierd you want in the way of templates or whatever then tell me and I'll do my best to accomodate you so long as it fits within the setting. And let's face it, most things can be made to fit Planescape!

Isida - I'm afraid I have none of those books, though they're all on my list of things I'm considering buying. Are any of them worth channeling a portion of my very limited resources into? I'd probably rather you just went with the Psion - but then, that might have something to do wiht the fact that Nomads are my favourite kind of Psion and, indeed, probably my absolute favourite class. They rule! :) And somehow they seem particularly fitting in the Planescape setting.

As for the 'party of rogues' idea - I think this would work, but rogue should probably be applied in the general, rather than class-specific, sense. A band of unscrupulous wayfarers could work well. Maybe tied by faction as well? A gang of Indeps?

But that is, of course, just one idea. You've got plenty of time to think about it.

Remove ads