Off to War (always recruiting) OCC Year 2:

Deskjob

First Post
Deskjob

*sigh*...

I'm just gonna ready wait for FM or Myth to issue some orders or something. Otherwise I'll just be reading an attack for the foreseeable future. Haha.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
You and me both waiting on FM guess I made Claude's time to shine at a bad RL time. It happens and I will think of something else if this doesn't pan out.

HM

Deskjob

First Post
Leave of Absence

Hey all,

I'm not gonna be able to post for two weeks. Internet stuff. Sorry HolyMan, your just gonna have to hold down the fort for poor Marko. Thanks peoples.

-Deskjob

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Holding down the fort is easy since nothing is going on.

Heads up will wait till Thu night to end the current round after I give out XP, and also I revived The Adventures of Mogins post and took out the placeholder if you care to see what the feline is up to. ;)

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
So are we to assume that since Deskjob said "hold down the fort" It is inflatable and will float away since he used his false beard and secert tunnel to take the cat to the vet??

Funny stuff I didn't no Europeans took things so literally. Reminds me one time when a girl from Hungrary came to work were I did and she asked me, "What language are you speaking." I said "English" and she said "That's not what it sounds like." LOL :p

Big difference from American and European English that's for sure.

HM

Myth and Legend

First Post
England is the only English speaking country in Europe, and IMO British English is the correct English. I don't mind so much when Americans spell it color and armor, but some baltant mistakes make me want to claw my eyes out. In my experience when talking with Americans, they will frequently make the mistake of spelling it "dieing" instead of "dying" "lieing" instead of "lying", "to" instead of "too" mixing up "you're" and "your" etc.

I'm pretty sure that with some effort and the occasional spellchecker anyone who has English as his/her mother tongue can use it correctly. What bothers me is the lack of effort really. I don't need a dicionary to write properly in Bulgarian, and most of the times I don't need one to write in English. Why can't the US population make a similar effort in grasping the concepts of their own language is beyond me.

Note this is not an American bashing post, It's a reflection of my experience while talking with them over the Internet and in person for quite a while now.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
America was suppose to be the laid back country that everyone was to chill at. So of course we have no time to go figuring out the proper time to use "you're" or "your". LOL

To me it is kind of sad though I work with a lot of 20-25 yr olds and it seems that this "laid back" attitude has turned into "I'm owed this freedom." not "We earned this freedom."

Will not rant today maybe some other time.

HM

Dragonwriter

First Post
England is the only English speaking country in Europe, and IMO British English is the correct English.

British English, quite honestly, should be considered the correct one. It came first and was the springboard for American. The trouble is, American English has diverged greatly since then.
(My brother knows a guy from India, and this guy speaks English well. But it is British English, which makes him rather confused when my brother and his uncle start chatting and using American turns of phrase.)

BTW, you aren't the only one who gets annoyed at those mistakes. Full-blooded American here (can trace family back to landing on the East Coast 200+ years ago), and it irks me when so many people can't even speak the language, much less spell it. I don't watch much in the way of news programs anymore simply because I am sick of hearing them interview people at the scene of something... People whose vocabulary consists of "like, so, um," and maybe a half-dozen other words...

But the spellchecker is... near-useless. They're fine for catching outright misspellings, but grammar and homonyms make them choke and die on their own stupidity. (I don't use spellchecker programs much either. :p)

Remove ads