[OOC] Horror High - Freshman Year

pathfinderq1

First Post
Okay, here is the first round of concept ideas- feedback is welcome (especially on technical matters, since I am new to this rule set). These are not in any particular order- some of them also have background elements in common, with a slightly different spin...

1. (if Potential Psychic role is open) [sblock= Latent Telepath]
-Base Class: Charimatic (MC into Dedicated, then to Telepath)
-Starting feats: Wild Talent, Educated
-Best stats: CHA, WIS
-Capsule: Tasha was a child TV star, until she turned nine and the voices in her head started. Her parents tried everything over the years, and the stress of handling her "problems" drove them to divorce. Tasha and her mother have recently moved to Belmont to be close to her grandparents- and to McLean Hospital (just in case). Tasha is bright and personable, but very nerdy ("Neville would have done it in four books, and Hermione in three"); she intends to be a writer, maybe- she has also been institutionalized 'for her own good' more than once, and her mother seems to have less and less patience as the years go on. She is (going to be) far more focused on ESP and TK than mind-reading/mind control.
[/sblock]

2. Potential critter [sblock= Kitsune]
-Base class: Smart (MC into Charismatic, custom advanced)
-Starting feats: Deceptive, Creative
-Best stats: CHA
-Capsule: Mariko is a budding singer and stage actress, as well as a talented painter. She is also an irrepressible trickster and a potential criminal. Her mother is a Japanese immigrant who attained citizenship when Mariko was just an infant; nobody ever talks about her father. She has recently moved to the Boston area, where her mother works for one of the biotech companies in Cambridge; they settled in Belmont because the local high school has an excellent music and theater program (and even though it is a public school, it is a VERY good one). Mariko, personally, expects to go to Emerson, Berklee, or Julliard.
[/sblock]

3. Student [sblock= Hunter]
-Base class: Dedicated (possible MC into Fast, then into Infiltrator, Soldier, or Investigator; or Explorer or Shadow Hunter if they open up in play)
-Starting feats: Guide, Track
-Best stats: DEX, WIS
-Capsule: Scott's father was a Navy SEAL who went to work for a secretive government agency- the official story is that he was killed by domestic terrorists while undercover; in fact he was a 'monster hunter' and died in the line of duty. Scott and his mom have recently moved to Belmont to be close to his grandparents; his mother is a doctor at MGH. Scott is, at heart, a country boy- he prefers to spend most of his time outside, and expects to go into the military like his dad. Scott is also a hunter (he started when his dad was still alive), and hated having to give up his guns when he moved to Massachusetts- he has since taken up archery instead. He is laconic and well-mannered, with a solid sense of right and wrong.
[/sblock]

4. Student [sblock= Young Scully]
-Base class: Dedicated (MC into Fast, then Investigator)
-Starting feats: Endurance, Run
-Best stats: WIS, DEX
-Capsule: Kate's father was a government agent (tasked with investigating paranormal incidents), her mother is a research engineer with no tolerance for supernatural foolishness (including religion, from her point of view). They moved to Belmont to be near Kate's father, who is institutionalized at McLean Hospital- rendered a twitching, gibbering wreck by the things he encountered (luckily the government is picking up the tab); Kate's mom works at the Draper Lab on a secretive DARPA contract. Kate herself is bright and curious; she is also a highly competitive runner. Unknown to the world at large, she also 'inherited' some of her father's notebooks, and she has begun to realize that there are some very unusual things going on in the world- maybe if she can work hard enough, she can 'fix' her dad. She is considering a government career, or possibly becoming a psychiatrist.
[/sblock]

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
My favorite is Tasha. I'm most hesitant about Mariko - Kitsune are just not something I am familiar enough with, lore and mythology wise, to integrate into the campaign very well.

Shayuri

First Post
The real problem with kitsune is that they don't 'spread' to human beings. A kitsune is just a fox who's lived long enough to acquire sentience and magic powers, in popular Japanese mythology. At least, that's my (admittedly minimal) understanding.

Macv12

First Post
I agree that Tasha sounds really interesting. Of course a "monster hunter" would be really bad for me, in a really good way. Tasha would round out the group character better, though, and I'd love to see how you RP that concept.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Depending on the source, most kitsune are shapeshifters- and can breed with humanity; half-breeds are common, and may not know their heritage. I was mostly using the White Wolf/WoD/urban fantasy fic version (as magical trickster human/fox shapeshifters). Perfectly willing to drop that idea if it doesn't fit (for whatever reason); that is why I toss out a bucket of concepts- to see what works best. Especially here, where I don't know the system and am looking more from a narrative standpoint.

Also, FWIW, all local attempts to obtain a physical copy of the rulebook have failed; may have to order it- so I will have to struggle along with the online material for a while.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
the Hengeyokai (Asian animal shape-shifter) or Changeling (Eberron 'people' shape-shifter) should fit all of your shifting needs, as does the, uh, Eberron Shifter race (sorta half-weres, can change some of their body).

Also, Were[x] is a template easily slapped onto an existing character, though you might still prefer to follow a level track for it as an advanced class.

Also also, the more I work on my character, the more she turns out like Detective Kate Lockley on Angel...

mmm Elisabeth Röhm...

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I like that character from Angel a lot. :) I don't want to bring in any D&D stuff, though. Core book only, remember (well...plus the custom critter classes).

pathfinderq1

First Post
So how much fighting is there likely to be, especially initially? Tasha is likely to have no useful combat skills to start- I am having a hard time justifying even the free simple weapon proficiency, given her background...

I have the book (or rather, the pdf) and I'm working through it as best I can in the time available.

Have narrowed concepts to two (Tasha the latent telepath for one; eliminated the kitsune and rolled the other two concepts together- result is a Smart/Dedicated athlete with strong outdoorsy hobbies and strong research/investigation skiils). Will try to get more detailed stuff up tomorrow (?).

Remove ads