[OOC] Horror High - Freshman Year

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Given the genre we're emulating here, combat will be a little different. In the first couple of levels, its likely that the combat oriented characters will take center stage during combat, while the non-combat characters will take center stage during investigations or other scenes. Think of it like an early episode of Buffy where Willow and Giles research a demon and then Buffy goes off to kill it.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Given the genre we're emulating here, combat will be a little different. In the first couple of levels, its likely that the combat oriented characters will take center stage during combat, while the non-combat characters will take center stage during investigations or other scenes. Think of it like an early episode of Buffy where Willow and Giles research a demon and then Buffy goes off to kill it.

Sounds good to me. Will try to get some concept stuff up tonight- but also have present-wrapping and stuff to do.

Shayuri

First Post
I plan to contribute to investigations! With spot-on sarcasm, and copious application of ennui.

"Don't you know who I'm supposed to kill YET?! This is bogus, I'm going out for a smoke."

MVP! MVP!

pathfinderq1

First Post
Okay- concepts, round 2. Concept 1 is mostly similar to the original pitch (nerdy latent telepath); Concept 2 has gone 'over the river and through the words' from student adventurer hunter/investigator hybrid to scholar.

Part of this is adjustment of worldview and, well, expectations maybe- I haven't been 15 in a VERY long time. Both are perhaps rather mature teenagers...

[sblock= Concept 1; latent telepath]
>Natasha Miriam Grace Rabinowitz (better known as Tasha and formerly known as 'Natalie Robins') was born in Hollywood- both of her parents were in the entertainment industry and she was 'acting' before she was three. From age 5 to 9, she was one of the stars of 'Lady of the House' (think Two and a Half Men, only with a daughter)- but at 9 the voices in her head grew too loud to bear, and she dropped out of acting "For health reasons". Her parents tried everything, but her problems persisted- both 'hallucinations' and RSPK activity; over the years Tasha went through more than a dozen schools, a handful of institutions, and more "cures" and therapists than she can remember. Her parents finally divorced a year ago- her father remarried almost immediately, and still lives in LA; Tasha and her mother moved back east to be near other relatives (and a new round of treatment options). They moved to Belmont just a few weeks ago.

Tasha's mom has ALMOST run out of patience, and Tasha herself is looking for acceptance (and still, after all these years, for answers- like 'Why Me?'). She is bright, smart, and personable (though she is a bit nervous, and covers it with a Wednesday Addams veneer)- but also a hardcore nerd (mostly for books and comics- she says TV rots your brain, and certainly would NOT like to be identified as 'Natalie Robins'); she is also "accident prone" and still suffers from "seizures", though some of her medications seem to be helping.

In game terms, Tasha is a Creative, Smart 1, with future progression in Charismatic and Dedicated to Telepath. She is mostly focused on sensing and TK (within the limits of the short power list). Best stats are INT, WIS, CHA; best skills are Perform (Acting), Knowledge (Behavioral science), and Knowledge (pop culture). In story terms, she likely has Far Hand or Far Punch that target her or her immediate area unconsciously and some sort of Precognition/Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions that exists solely to push plot- these account for her seizures, hallucinations, and "accident-prone" nature. In addition, McLean Hospital is a world-famous psychiatric treatment and research facility- but maybe they also study psychic phenomena or similar activity (and her doctor is another psi, good or bad...)

Qoute: "I never got my letter from Hogwarts, or my call from Xavier's school- so I'm stuck here"
[/sblock]

[sblock= Concept 2; scholar-in-training]
>Shivani Singh is British-American- her father (was) British, and her mother is American. Her father was an archaelogist, and Shivani grew up traveling all around the globe. She is quite bright, and delved into scholarship from an early age. She is especially interested in history and architecture- and in mysterious or unexplained phenomena; an interest she shared with her father. Her died more than a year ago on a dig in sub-Saharan Africa, and Shivani inherited a trunk of his belongings (including some notebooks she has had no luck in translating). Shivani and her mother have only recently moved to the Boston area- they ended in Belmont at least partially for the schools (one of the best public high schools in the nation, and second-best in the state). Her mother works at the Draper Labs in Cambridge (on a DARPA-funded contract that may have something to do with GPS and Inertial navigation for something...)- she is almost never home. Shivani is quite smart, but a bit of a know-it-all; she is far more interested in going out to find out stuff than reading about it- she has skills in research but also in survival and exploration.

In Game terms, Shivani is a Student, Smart 1, with future progression split between Smart and Dedicated. She might remain mundane (Field Scientist? Investigator?), but if we don't have another candidate she could go for more exotic knowledge (Mage? Occultist?). Best stats are INT and WIS; best skills are Research and various Knowledges- also very high Navigate; she doesn't get lost easily (and is fond of 'exploring' new, even dangerous, places. Possible plot drivers are her father's notebooks (etc.) or other investigations- or maybe some of her father's associates (or is her father actually dead and not an evil mage/mummy/lich himself).
[/sblock]

Macv12

First Post
So I've decided to make DEX and WIS my best stats. As opposed to STR, it means better Drive skill, better defense, more skill points from Fast, and it lets Juno be STR unarmed and remain unique. Taking Track and focusing on Survival, Repair, Drive, and whatever else I can fit. Character's real name is Daciana ("c" is pronounced "ch"), but everyone who isn't her parents knows her as Francis (or Franky or whatever you want). She has a slight accent, but she's lived here for years so it's hard to tell what country it's even from. She keeps up with classes mostly but tends to skip long writing assignments. Every so often she just won't show up to school for about a week.

I was thinking, either Shivani or Tasha could be a student tutor to Francis, helping her keep up with school work since she's absent so much. That connection seems especially appropriate for Tasha, what with her trouble fitting in. That would leave us pretty much empartied from the start. Just a thought.

pathfinderq1

First Post
I'm going to let my concepts rattle around in my brain for a while (over the holiday, anyway), and see if we get a few more concepts posted to work with. I'll probably get more info up on Sunday (if not sooner). I'm working on descriptions/builds, and more extensive backgrounds for both possibilities...

Just as an aside, for Francis- if we are 15, Drive may be a bit of an interesting choice. You can drive without a license, of course- but only if the cars are expendable (Massachusetts is very strict about guns, and only slightly less so with cars/insurance). Could be all kinds of fun.

Shivani would certainly be open to being a tutor- it fits with her know-it-all nature. Tasha might be a bit harder to convince...

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
You can put skill points in Drive to represent learning with a parent or some such. We can worry about getting the actual driver's license Sophomore Year (when/if we get there).

Macv12

First Post
Yeah, it's ok. I'm not even sure I can legally start with a vehicle, so I'll cross that (raised draw-)bridge when I come to it. But should the day come, I will be prepared. Not much point in repairing motorcycles if I can't power slide them without crashing into the lockers, you know?

No worries about the tutor thing. It's there if you want to work it into the character.

Remove ads