• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] M&M 2nd: Gotham Squires

jkason

First Post
K, so is my char still messed up? :)

The device rules always confuse me, so I'll be no help there, though I will say that I think taking Attack Focus (melee) *and* Attack Focus (ranged) at the same ranks each, you wind up spending just as much as if you'd just bought the Attack bonus outright. If your only ranged attack is the plasma bolt, you might save some points by just choosing it as an Attack Specialization.

Also, you mentioned a sword and a polearm, but I don't see them listed, either as equipment or just Strike powers with descriptors? From what I can tell, you have a plasma attack and a basic unarmed attack, and that's it?

Again, though, devices confuse me, so I may be missing something.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
In my head, the Plasma can be used at ranged, but I assume I cam limit it to touch as well, so I had envision a Plasma Sword and maybe even a Plasma Polearm. I took the Deflect power with the assumption that it is a physical Shield as well.

And that's true - I suppose the Attack Melee/Ranged works out the same points-wise. Heh. I'm still learnin'. This is why I feel that math-heavy systems like d20 should not even exist without computer support. WotC did right with their character builder.

I'm also trying to wrap my head around the 'gear as points' paradigm. Does this mean that you can never get more gear unless you find it or build it?

Walking Dad

First Post
Great to see the interest (we are on page 4). I got problems with online access during holidays, but it is better now. I will review the questions and characters in this thread as soon as possible.

jkason

First Post
This is why I feel that math-heavy systems like d20 should not even exist without computer support. WotC did right with their character builder.

All the Power Level / power points math tends to make my head hurt, so I've been using the demo version of Hero Lab for chargen with M&M. Mind you, the free version only has the basic ruleset, but since that's all I own, that works out for me. If you're using stuff from expansions, you'd have to either pony up for the program or generate a character without the expansion bits and do the remainder manually. It has been pretty solid for me, though, in at least keeping track of the upper limits of all the stats and helping to calculate how extras modify the cost of things.

jason

Voda Vosa

First Post
All the Power Level / power points math tends to make my head hurt, so I've been using the demo version of Hero Lab for chargen with M&M. Mind you, the free version only has the basic ruleset, but since that's all I own, that works out for me. If you're using stuff from expansions, you'd have to either pony up for the program or generate a character without the expansion bits and do the remainder manually. It has been pretty solid for me, though, in at least keeping track of the upper limits of all the stats and helping to calculate how extras modify the cost of things.

jason

I made an excel spreadsheet to handle the numbers for me, if you want I could send it to you, or post it here.

Walking Dad

First Post
Here are some answers:

Pardon my ignorance, but do I need to know these stats from the roll call forum? Is there a link for them?
No, I just use them for personal reference.

Would you want to mix "four-color" and "dark" heroes or do you want a group composed of all of one or the other?
I hoped for a group that at lest knows each other at the beginning... meeting each other the first time could easily fill 2 'issues'.

Well, perhaps his background covers the banishment of Batman and the other heroes, don't know if you have something planned for that, if so I'll edit; if not, I think it is as a good story as any other.
So yes, my guy is more a self serving character than a true hero.
Sorry, I have something planned... self-serving is no problem.

I am looking at Octavia's Background (I think that will be her name). I have a rough idea already, but it is lending itself to more of an evil type campaign.

@ WD; For lack of any better way of putting it, she was a Lawful Neutral type person and slid to Lawful Evil. Question is, how far do I need to bring her back. With it being a dark setting but yet fighting bad guys, can I leave her at LE or does she need to be on a path of redemption and more LN?
Jason; I would wait for Walking Dad to chime in on my question. I think the idea is to be good guys and someone has to represent that end of the spectrum to keep the rest of us in line. As much fun as Lawful Evil can be, it is also hard to do it justice with a PG-13 rating. But then, that's where creativity comes in.
Would like to know more about Octavias background... LN vs LE is a hard call. Where would you put the Punisher or Moon Knight?
I really love the mix of light and dark so far, but I also hope the group can work together.

Also, are we using Wealth bonuses for starting Equipment, or do we need to purchase equipment using the Equipment feat?
Depends on what you want...

WD; Another question. What kind of pace are you planning to run for GM exchanges and player posting?
I will look at the game everyday. I'm open for suggestions regarding player posting pace.

I will post something regardung rules and specific character mechanics tomorrow.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Re Wealth vs Equipment feat: At present, I believe I'd have a 10 Wealth bonus, which would get me "basic" equipment quite easily. I'm actually looking FOR basic equipment specifically... plus boomerangs. lol

Walking Dad

First Post
Re Wealth vs Equipment feat: At present, I believe I'd have a 10 Wealth bonus, which would get me "basic" equipment quite easily. I'm actually looking FOR basic equipment specifically... plus boomerangs. lol
Hm, I think anything with combat application should be bought with points and not with wealth. I first wanted to just allow the boomerangs, but if I allow them for 'free', what about rocket launchers or machine guns?

'My' characters paid equipment points for bataranges, too.

Remove ads