D&D 5E (OOC) Rise of the Dracolich (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Man, I actually spend a lot of time doing the math on how much copper it takes to hull a ship, how much the Waterdhavian Harbour Moon is worth, how much a pound of copper costs, etc... and you make fun of it based on a weight assumption?

Let's just put it this way: You are buying worked copper sheets, not minted copper coins. Also: Shut up! :p

Oh, the moons are real (at least, as far as you can tell.)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hey, the price of things is usually pretty inforced!

Incidentally, it took 14 tons of copper to plate a 74-gun ship of the line, but those ships were very large. 10 tons is a reasonable amount to sheathe a few ships of more modest size, so that part holds. ;)

Checking my math, are you?

gargoyleking

Adventurer
On a side note, Mord is skilled at deception rather than Persuasion. He's got an untrained +4, but can't exactly get away with casting guidance during the course of negotiations. Maybe once, before stepping out of the carriage to help bolster the first impressions.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
D&D uses imperial tons.
D&D coins are 50 per pound. 10 tons copper = 20,000 pounds = 1,000,000 cp = 10,000 gp so exactly enough. Throw in some good haggling and we acheive profit. After traveling through a thief infested city with 10,000 gp.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
D&D uses imperial tons.
D&D coins are 50 per pound. 10 tons copper = 20,000 pounds = 1,000,000 cp = 10,000 gp so exactly enough. Throw in some good haggling and we acheive profit. After traveling through a thief infested city with 10,000 gp.
Those are some big coins! Although I do remember that value now that you mention it... did it change in 5e?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
D&D has variously had it 100 coins to the pound, fifty, and IIRC it was once 10. TEN! Now THOSE would have been big coins.

At any rate, while the value of copper as a commodity could be relatively consistent in the North, I maintain that the weight value of rolled sheets of the stuff does not have to correspond directly to the weight value of pressed coins of the same (though by Gene's math, it seems that I have wound up there). At any rate, that's the approximate expected value, everything else is a negotiation. Though keep in mind, they can sell it to someone they are contractually obligated to sell it to, so I doubt they'd be too keen on a big discount...

gargoyleking

Adventurer
D&D has variously had it 100 coins to the pound, fifty, and IIRC it was once 10. TEN! Now THOSE would have been big coins.

At any rate, while the value of copper as a commodity could be relatively consistent in the North, I maintain that the weight value of rolled sheets of the stuff does not have to correspond directly to the weight value of pressed coins of the same (though by Gene's math, it seems that I have wound up there). At any rate, that's the approximate expected value, everything else is a negotiation. Though keep in mind, they can sell it to someone they are contractually obligated to sell it to, so I doubt they'd be too keen on a big discount...
There was the thought that they were obligated for some of it. Maybe not all. What I'm counting on is that they'll see waterdeep nobility taking an interest and get greedy.

Remove ads