(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I agree about the crazy cost of stuff. I'm of a mind to use the "Sane Magic Item Prices" that someone cooked up. Makes me want to use a "Sane Downtime Costs" equivalent. 500gp to hobnob with the wealthy seems... extravagant. I can imagine a pretty crazy party being thrown on that kind of coin. Let me look at it and get back to you. As far as Gambling goes, there is NO WAY I'm not going to allow cards & dice proficiencies to factor in. (Or to reverse my double-negative, I ABSOLUTELY WILL allow dice & card proficiencies. In fact, I have long since decided to ignore the whole "tool prof don't stack with skills" weirdness. Stack away (just point out that you're doing it). If a rogue can have expertise, it's not TOO broken to let a Gambler stack "Deception" with "Cards"... and it makes much more sense as to how the tool profs ever DO ANYTHING.

Suddenly Tommi doesn't not want to play cards.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
While I'm okay with you reviewing the Downtime rules so you've got an idea what kind of thing to think of - I don't want you to get too hung up on the numbers. I will use those rules as a guideline when making my rulings, but I won't be held to the letter-of-the-law (not the least of the reasons being that the UA is just playtest material and probably isn't accurate anyway.)

What I'm trying to say is: Don't change what you want to do because the rules there make it an unattractive choice. If you want to do it, do it. I will find a way to make it work. Bad rolls and things like that should just make it interesting, not horrible. Pick what you want to do and do it. If you have a particular aversion based on the rules, feel free to let me know why, and I will address it.

I will add, however, that the 500gp cost of "Carousing with Nobility" sounds to me like "Throwing an Elaborate Party" - probably beyond the means of a beginning character.

I will talk more about it when I've had the chance to review all the existing rules. I've been so busy running games! (And running a comic store, two kids off school bugging my wife, teaching martial arts classes...)

Fradak

Explorer
Here some precisions about the crafting activity Enseth is doing.

He is customizing his body with mundane equipment. It doesn't change anything in termes of rules and everything he has already integrated in his body was paid with starting money. He also have paid for the tinker's tools to craft this stuff. Proficiency comes from the background.

So the main advantage is cosmetic. The integrated equipment is hidden under the armor most of the time and appear only when necessary.

I wanted to push this idea to integrate weapons like a true Shield Guardian does, he slam his fist and makes warhammer damages but it provokes issues with disarming and spell casting (no need of warcaster feat if hands free). So Are you ok with this : he must activate his "Power Fist" like you draw a sword and it can be disabled when disarmed. The same with spells, when the weapon his activated no more spell casting with this hand. Tell me if you are ok with this, so the Shield Guardian ressemblance will be complete.

Here is the setup:
Forearms: (L) Nailgun (dart), (R) Hydraulic Ram.
Shoulder: Grappling Hook Launcher & 50 feet rope.
Head: Headlamp (lantern/bullseye).
Legs: Caltrops hatch (100).
Fingers: Chalk (10), Oil (10), Pen & Ink (1).
Back: Javelins Rack (5).
Chest Compartment (backpack)

Launchers work as if he throws darts/hooks/javelins himself, no further advantage, juste more stylish.

The research activity concerns what his formal Master ordered him to do: stop the Thayans. So he is searching in library, interrogates travelers, investigate on every red clothed man crossing his path.

Last point. As usual, I don't want to change any rule, just set some flavor. He is going to multi class in wizard later. The Shield Guardian has some spell stored in them. He spent all his existence in company of a wizard. Is it a problem to say that his spellbook is in his infaillible memory? I don't see him searching in a book. So it is something he activates level after level because it is already present.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm okay with all of that. The only thing that even slightly bothers me (and only slightly) is the sci-fi language of it all. Little too futuristic. Keep it more mundane or magical rather than future-tech sounding, and I'm happy. It's not that I don't like sci-fi, it's just incongruent with everything else. (I get that you can't get the robot feel without a bit of that stuff, so go for it, just don't get carried away!)

Fradak

Explorer
Understood. I'll change some points.

One more thing :). To make money to pay for his researches or his customizations he is helping anyone in the need in the city. Like Hadeshah ,Darrondar Gweth or Luc Sunbright in their religious services. Derval Ironeater with some crafting or repairs. As he doesn't need any real logement or food, he saves every copper for his mission.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
I'd nix the nail gun and just go with a hand crossbow. That would be simple enough to embed in his arm. It's expensive, though, so you might have to get some money first.

The hydronic ram wouldn't really work in this setting, as they don't have hydraulics. Being able to switch your hand for a hammer works, though. Hand disappears, hammer comes in its place.

You're a Cleric, right? You should be able to cast Light. You don't need a headlamp, and I'm not coming up with a way to make a headlamp work with medieval tech. It would need a flame. Now, you could cast Light on something up in your head, causing the light to come out your eyes, or something like that.

Leg Caltrop hatch makes sense and is easy enough. As are the compartments in the fingers for oil or chalk or whatever. Javelin Rack makes sense. Chest Compartment makes sense.

It's really just the nail gun, hydraulic ram, headlamp, oh and the shoulder grappling hook launcher. What does he use as the firing mechanism? Is it like a crossbow? There are no combustibles, and they don't have the tech to have compressed air guns.

I can see it being a crossbow that launches a modified bolt with a wire attached to it. Everything is internal. But that would cost a Crossbow. Probably a heavy one.

I'm not the DM, so Fitz will have to make the decision on how all that works, but if I WERE the DM, I would have you pay for each of these modifications separately, and if you didn't have the money, you'd have to earn it. It gives a good goal for your character to work on. But that's me. Fitz may not be as strict.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

Fradak

Explorer
Thank you for the detailed analysis :). I like the idea of having a hand crossbow but it's a dex weapon so I stick with darts (throwing, so str). My point was just giving more technical names to some mundane items with no advantage at all. The grappling hook doesn't go further than if I throw it myself so I supposed it doesn't need any heavy crossbow ( but a similar mechanism yes).

For the light point, I have the light spell but I wanted to light up the bullseye lanterne to make it less magical and more technical (and the light spell can profit of the bullseye effect).

And sorry for the sci-fi renaming, IT guy here so as Fitz said it, I get carried away with i t:). I have removed every sci-fi mentions.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm on board with what you're doing... it's what I call "re-fluffing" (I'm not sure how wide the term is used) but it's when you keep everything working game-mechanics-wise exactly how it normally does, but just overwrite the story stuff. You're doing a huge amount of re-fluffing, and I like it. I just don't want it to go too far into sci-fi. I'm even okay with the shoulder-launching grappling hook, as long as you call it "magic" or like Tglassy suggested, a built-in-heavy crossbow. I'd just rather you avoided calling it compressed air or hydrolics.

As far as crafting and downtime goes, you'd only need to craft any of that if it's extra stuff you didn't have when you built the character. Otherwise, starting equipment is exactly that... the stuff you start with. So if you want MORE stuff, you can craft it, but otherwise I will assume your starting downtime is used for research.

Which brings me to my next post...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Downtime

Okay, I've had a look at the extant Downtime rules and the UA and even some people's homebrew and for now here's how I'd like to do it: Just chose what you'd like to do (story-wise) and don't be too concerned about the mechanics of it. I will try to rule fairly.

From what I've seen the main goals of Downtime is to gain allies, items, information, or money while managing risk and reward.

So here's your basic options (tell me if you think I've missed anything):

Earning Money
Honest Work
Running a Business
Pit Fighting
Gambling
Crime

Crafting Items
Gear
Weapons
Armour
Potions
Scrolls
Magic Items (Maybe Later)

Making Allies
Religious Service
Carousing
Guild Meetings (Civil Politics)
Attending Court

Other
Relaxing or Convalescing
Gathering & Sowing Rumours
Language or Tool Training
Buying & Selling Magic Items

I like the rules they're attempting in the UA with the 3 ability checks, so I'm going to ask for those no matter what activity you pick. Try to use different skills as often as possible, and if you use the same one, try to describe a different use for it.

For example, If you want to forge a breastplate you could roll Persuasion to convince a Smith to let you use his forge, Intelligence to pick the best quality material, and Strength (Smith's Tools) to bang the thing into shape. The result will allow me to adjudicate the cost of the job, or the length of time it takes you to finish it. (and if you run out of money or time, you leave it incomplete)

For another example, you could go carousing, and roll Charisma to be Persuasion to make some friends, Performance to get up on the table and sing a song, and Constitution to make it home without passing out. Again, I will inform you of your expense based on the rolls, and benefits you might gain, like new NPC allies.

Any questions? (Feel free to give me three checks that go with whatever you've already told me you want to do!)

BTW, I will actually get this started soon, I promise.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
So basically you're looking for something like this;

Dandin works the bazaar trying to buy low and sell high:

Insight:: 1D20+4 = [15]+4 = 19
to read his suppliers and customers in order to find the best arguments to haggle on.

Deception:: 1D20+5 = [12]+5 = 17
to sell up the value of the goods to his buyers in hopes of getting a a better price.

Persuasion: 1D20+5 = [13]+5 = 18
to convince buyers and sellers to give him the most advantageous prices he can get.

(Although, to be fair I lost my first two rolls for Insight and Deception. The originals were a 9 and 15 respectively.)

Squirrels are evil!

Remove ads