[ooc]Traveller T20 - Full

Maerdwyn

First Post
doghead said:
OK, This is what I have so far. It looks like matching skills and feats is going be a bit of a nightmare (there is no list of class skills as far as I can see) and its late so I'm going to call it a night.

Saanath
<snip>
Looks good, doghead. Class Skills for Merchant: Appraise (Int), Astrogation( Edu), Bluff(Cha), Bribery(Cha), Broker (Int), Driving (Dex), Gambling(Int), Gather Information (Cha), K/Trade 7 Commerce Law (Edu), Liason (Cha), Pilot (Int/Dex), Professional (Wis), Technical-Any (Edu), Trader (Int)

Douane

First Post
Maerdwyn said:
Mwahahahah!!!! ;) Welcome aboard.

Do you have the book, or will you need a hand?

Unfortunately, I do need a hand. Sorry!

(While a veteran of the "old" traveller, I just couldn't justify the purchase with no one to play around anymore.:()

Folkert

Maerdwyn

First Post
No need to be sorry - as long as you'll put up with a novice Traveller GM ;)

Check out T20 Lite (The link is above), then roll and post some ability scores, and I'll help you our with Prior History and such based on your input.

Note to all: I've edited the first post to recognize the fact that I award bonus xp for character background writeups and the like. After you get prior history done, post your writeups, if desired.

Douane

First Post
Maerdwyn said:
No need to be sorry - as long as you'll put up with a novice Traveller GM ;)

Check out T20 Lite (The link is above), then roll and post some ability scores, and I'll help you our with Prior History and such based on your input.

Already checked out! In fact, the downloads reminded me how much I love traveller. :)

Regarding "novice": Well, we were young and wild back then. :D I surely don't want to repeat most of our experiences for the fear of severe embarassment. ;) [In retrospective it seems the fondness of traveller is more due to reading the stuff than due to actually playing it. :rolleyes: ]

You certainly got a better start already than most of the GM's I ever played with.

[Actual opening of one campaign (abridged):
Q.: "What's the campaign about?"
A.: "Buy goods, jump ship, sell goods, buy some goods. After you get rich, you can buy some bigger ships, so you can transport more goods."
Q.: "What about, you know, adventures?"
A.: "Hell, no! Do you even realize how bad it will hurt your merchant empire, if you get hurt, or even worse, stuck on some backwater planet?"
A.: "Thank you."]

As for Stats (already had them rolled:)):

[Actual order rolled: 13 17 14 15 10 15 11 16]

After Vargr-modification:

Str: 11
Dex: 17
Con: 12
Int: 16
Wis: 10
Cha: 15
Edu: 11
Soc: 17

Will get back to you regarding number of prior terms (They are still 4 years each?) and the scaling of likes and dsilikes!

Folkert

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
Douane said:
Will get back to you regarding number of prior terms (They are still 4 years each?) and the scaling of likes and dsilikes!

Folkert
Cool :) Terms are mostly 4 years, though some can be finished faster than that. Seonaid's character finished school a year ahead of schedule, for example.

Ian

Edit: speeling.

Last edited:

Seonaid

Explorer
Maerdwyn said:
Nah, someone at your college forwarded the wrong GMAT scores But if you make a road trip up there this weekend, there might still be a chance! (Sorry - Bad reference to a bad movie :) - Ever see Orange County?)
D'oh! Someone's gonna pay. (Haven't seen the movie.)

Maerdwyn said:
I'll leave the details of your four years as a traveller to yoo, since you rolled "Personal Business" for your Duty Assignment. You survived without mishap, but did not earn an XP bonus (Rolls ). 4 Years, +4000xp, +10000Cr, +High Passage to a world 1 Jump away.
Huh-wha? No XP bonus? Does that mean I got 4000XP just for being alive? Sweet. ;) Details will be forthcoming, as soon as the rest of this gets figured out. Speaking of which, I need class skills, and all that good stuff too. I dunno, I can't think right now, but all I've got is the Lite.

Maerdwyn said:
You may now reapply to a Masters degree program (perhaps on the new world you've arrived at). BTW, Class is separate from Profession. You need to have taken at least one level in a Class corresponding each Profession you advance in, but thereafter are free to advance your class as you choose. So, your first Class level was Academic, and one of your next levels was Traveller, but with your 8,000 current XP, you could be an Academic 1/Traveller 3, an Academic 3/Traveller 1, or Academic 2/Traveller2. You also get your +1 ability bonus now that you are 4th level.
So I'd like to be Academic 3/Traveller 1 . . . How does that work with the XP amount? Do you still roll up the two levels of Academic separately? Am I reading you entirely wrongly? LOL, I'll just leave it up to you to figure out (since I can't anyway) and then when it's all over, I'll flesh it out, write it up, and present it to you on a silver platter.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Seonaid said:
D'oh! Someone's gonna pay. (Haven't seen the movie.)
No loss whatsoever.

Technically, the xp is for 4 years of succesful employment in various jobs in furtherance of your "Personal Business" without royally screwing up and landing in jail or the emergency room :)
So I'd like to be Academic 3/Traveller 1 . . . How does that work with the XP amount? Do you still roll up the two levels of Academic separately? Am I reading you entirely wrongly?
The class levels are seperate from your prior history professions - once you have a single level in a class, you can advance in that profession, regardles whether you stick with the class (this nly applies in Prior History, of course.)
So, when you get around to doing your skill selections, BaB, etc., you will simply follow the tables for three academic levels, and one traveller level (so far)

LOL, I'll just leave it up to you to figure out (since I can't anyway) and then when it's all over, I'll flesh it out, write it up, and present it to you on a silver platter.
K. :D

Term 3
You muster out of the Traveller Profesion, earning another 2000Cr
Anyway, applying to a new University is more successful this time. Unfortunately, something goes wrong with your research project, and you are forced to withdraw after a year.

Elapsed time = 1 year. +2000Cr
Term 4
You reapply immediately, and are admitted, and this time complete the program successfully, but without Honors.
+1500 XP, Elapsed Time = 2 years
Term 5
Flush with success, you apply to a Medical Doctoral program and are admitted (mistake in the dice roller, as I mistyped the DC, which should have been 7), and graduate easily, earning Honors.

+2000XP, +1 EDU, Elapsed Time = 2 years
You have up to 8 more terms of prior history. At present, you hold a Medical Doctorate, 12000Cr, and are a level 5 Character, (Academic 4/ Traveller 1). You are 26 years old, at present. You may continue earning more academic degrees, become employed in Traveller or another profession, or begin your adventuring career.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Trying to build a combat type with the Merchant class is like tring to fit a square peg in a round hole. I'm stubborn, but not that stubborn. I'm thinking that I will try and build something around his Prior History, I have some ideas brewing at the moment. He will probably be a much more conventional merchant type.

I'll just update the posted character rather than the post new ones, if thats ok.

Gotta go to work

Cheers

Maerdwyn

First Post
doghead said:
Trying to build a combat type with the Merchant class is like tring to fit a square peg in a round hole. I'm stubborn, but not that stubborn. I'm thinking that I will try and build something around his Prior History, I have some ideas brewing at the moment. He will probably be a much more conventional merchant type.

I'll just update the posted character rather than the post new ones, if thats ok.

Gotta go to work

Cheers
Understood - play what you want, though. If you want a combat type, I can help you make one; if you want a conventional merchant type, go with that :)

Ian

Remove ads