OUT OF THE ABYSS Trends At 82%

Out of the Abyss released earlier this week (having been available to preferred stores for a couple of week prior to that), and lots of people have bought and devoured it. The ratings are starting to come in, and the adventure is currently hovering around the 82% mark. By contrast, Princes of the Apocalypse has a solid 91.5%, while the two Tyranny of Dragons adventures have 53% and 75%, respectively.

Out of the Abyss released earlier this week (having been available to preferred stores for a couple of week prior to that), and lots of people have bought and devoured it. The ratings are starting to come in, and the adventure is currently hovering around the 82% mark. By contrast, Princes of the Apocalypse has a solid 91.5%, while the two Tyranny of Dragons adventures have 53% and 75%, respectively.

I've updated my D&D Release Schedules page and marked it as available. Next up will be:

• Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (Nov 3, 2015; hardcover setting sourcebook; $39.95) -- "Get everything you need to adventure in the Forgotten Realms on the exciting Sword Coast, home to the cities of Baldur’s Gate, Waterdeep, and Neverwinter! A collaboration between Green Ronin Publishing and the Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards of the Coast."
  • Unnamed Storyline(s) -- "Allusions to a giants based story influenced by a Shakespearean play"
  • Unnamed Storyline(s) -- "Froghemoths & Flail Snails - Oh My! Chris Perkins' New Adventure Sneak Peek"

outoftheabyss.jpg

adventures_enworld.jpg

I really enjoyed Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

I ran both of the modules in the series, and I think the story is pretty strong. However, the modules are put together very poorly - the organization is horrible (especially for Rise of Tiamat), and there are confusing descriptions, and cross-referenced encounters. In one section of the module, they actually tell the DM to "Create an encounter using..." What? I bought the friggin' module - you are supposed to design the encounters for me!

That said, despite some frustration, my players and I all enjoyed them regardless.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
The biggest drawback to Paizo AP's and they still haven't been able to get it right is the cartography and the discription in the text. Doors not being there, or are but should type thing. It's not a big deal if your drawing it out as you go on a battle map, but when your using it over a VTT or casting the pdf onto the game table, it's created numerous..."where's that door go to? DM - oh it's not there, another map screw up or last minute change after the map was made and wasn't corrected.

That's really the only drawback that comes to mind initially. Some of the AP themes didn't appeal to me but overall, i thought the ones I ran or played in were nicely done.

The WoTC adventures so far as as good or slightly better, which might just be due to my renewed D&D energy from 5e, but they are comparable to each other in their goodness!

jasynjonz

Explorer
To be honest, I don't find the 'whimsy' stuff to be all that silly. It's a little more insane than silly. I think that's the point. Played correctly, some of these NPC's are more sinister and creepy than anything else. Now the extreme sports goblins? Straight outta paizo and pretty silly, but fun. Running it now and my players are having a great time.

Zarithar

Adventurer
I've only skimmed through it so far, but one thing that struck me almost immediately is that this adventure is not overly friendly to novice DMs. Just based on my quick first impression, I find myself preferring Princes of the Apocalypse. This could change though as I read through Abyss in more detail.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ally pugilists go have taken time to give your opinion here, be sure to do so in the review entry so your rating gets counted!

Remove ads

Remove ads