D&D 5E Planescape 5e - everything we know & some speculation

Incenjucar

Legend
Animal Lord is a gender-neutral title.

Bleh to the adventure, hopefully it at least has some nice art to look at to make up for taking up a whole splat's worth of pages I won't use.

At least the price seems to still be reasonable.

However it is still a made up fantasy word, like “vorpal.” When translating Jabberwocky to other languages you don’t translate vorpal, it is just vorpal.
When translated into other languages, Jabberwocky makes no sense whatsoever.

But seen through the lens of English it can be understood. Dodgson explains some of it in Looking Glass. The words are nonsense, but they still follow the shape of English words. That's why the poem works.

To a degree, you can translate it by sense, but then the English nonsense words have to become nonsense words derived from the target language. Here is a bit of a German translation-by-sense.

Der Jammerwoch!

Es brillig war. Die schlichte Toven Wirrten und wimmelten in Waben; Und aller-mümsige Burggoven Die mohmen Räth' ausgraben.

When translated into other languages, Jabberwocky makes no sense whatsoever.

But seen through the lens of English it can be understood. Dodgson explains some of it in Looking Glass. The words are nonsense, but they still follow the shape of English words. That's why the poem works.

To a degree, you can translate it by sense, but then the English nonsense words have to become nonsense words derived from the target language. Here is a bit of a German translation-by-sense.
I read jabberwocky in Italian and it just used vorpal. Additionally there new words ( mostly tech related) that are not translated, they are just used as is (at least that is the case in Japanese).

I see this the same way. No need to translate it, just use Factol.

Remove ads