Player Sign Up Thread - Chicago Gameday North - April 26th - Antioch, IL - 4E Demo!

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
bigznak said:
I know in both games that I am registered for, there are 3 people including me. I have been thinking, what happens, if we don't have enough players? I am coming from very far away (about 70 plus miles), and I would just hate to see games cancelled due to lack of interest after I get there. Just curious.

Thanks,
Chris

With dfranco's signup we have the suggested minimum for the 4E Demo. And I will make the game work somehow even if we lose a player or two. Cyberknight is waiting til Gameday to decide what to play, we can sang him for 4E if needed. I think you are safe to assume that neither game you have signed up for will be cancelled.

Hero's Banner can run with two players.

Beyond that we are hoping for walk-ins.

ekb

First Post
player number flexibility

I think I addressed this with my bumpy text, but to make it clear:

I'd LOVE to have more people sign up for the d100 game (did I mention that if you do, you get a free hardcopy of the game SRDs? - I'm working on prettifying the layouts as we speak).

BUT... even if it's just 1 (or 2) people, the game can still run pretty much AS IS. The players will have the whole "response team" as their character, with a simple distribution of percentages. The "trick cards" (not necessary, but nice for spelling out "the good stuff" at con-type games with new systems) get passed out according to who is in the team. And it's done... The only adjustments after that point are the standard ones to match the antagonists to the character capabilities.

That being said: anyone know of any rule systems that are designed to have the players work with a *group* of characters rather than just a single character? There were options for doing this in Ars Magica and (*gasp*) Chainmail... but not so much any others off the top of my head. Thoughts?

Ninjacat

First Post
Important Questions occur to me as I'm doing final prep instead of going to bed...

..What's the parking situation like at Friends Hobby? Is there a lot for all-day visitors that won't impede normal store traffic? And what about lunch? I assume there's basic fast food in the area, but I'm navigationally challenged; I couldn't find my way out of a wet paper bag with a map, a compass, and a flamethrower, so I don't want to get lost and be late for the afternoon slot... ;) (here's hoping leaving early gives me enough time to find the place to begin with, but it's only a few turns off 59, so I should be okay...)

See y'all Saturday! :D

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Ninjacat said:
Important Questions occur to me as I'm doing final prep instead of going to bed...

..What's the parking situation like at Friends Hobby? Is there a lot for all-day visitors that won't impede normal store traffic? And what about lunch? I assume there's basic fast food in the area, but I'm navigationally challenged; I couldn't find my way out of a wet paper bag with a map, a compass, and a flamethrower, so I don't want to get lost and be late for the afternoon slot... ;) (here's hoping leaving early gives me enough time to find the place to begin with, but it's only a few turns off 59, so I should be okay...)

See y'all Saturday! :D

There is plenty of parking on the weekends. About half of the strip mall is medical-based and not open on the weekends. Also, since the trains don't run on the weekends, parking in the Metra lot (which is the same lot as the mall lot - the Metra spaces are the ones denoted with space numbers) shouldn't incur a cost.

Food

Note that the closest place on the map, Herm's BBQ went out of business (probably because going to a rib shack shouldn't cost as much as Carson's!). I'm also not familiar with RL Greedy's. Triple PPP's has become Anastasia's. Antioch Packing House is a butcher shop, not a restaurant. Fast food starts on page 3, not because it's far away, just because we have numerous restaurants in the downtown Antioch area.

My personal favorites for non-chains are Mexican Paradise Cafe and Szechwan Palace.

ekb

First Post
Other Food Choices

Vyvyan Basterd said:
Triple PPP's has become Anastasia's. Antioch Packing House is a butcher shop, not a restaurant. Fast food starts on page 3, not because it's far away, just because we have numerous restaurants in the downtown Antioch area.
My personal favorites for non-chains are Mexican Paradise Cafe and Szechwan Palace.
All of which is actually much better sounding than the usual spots for me & mine when we're in Antioch - Jimmy Johns, Culvers and that coffee joint on the hill as you're heading east from 59...

However, a more practical question - what's the deal with beverages? If it's cool, Donna & I will be bringing a cooler with us - not for vending, mind, just personal use. If not, well... no biggie. Just don't want any toes getting stepped on.

BTW - thanks to whoever popped the short novel of promo text into the description of "Ashtray."

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
ekb said:
However, a more practical question - what's the deal with beverages? If it's cool, Donna & I will be bringing a cooler with us - not for vending, mind, just personal use. If not, well... no biggie. Just don't want any toes getting stepped on.

Good question. Just like Games Plus, Friend's has a well-stocked pop machine with good variety and the owner asks that outside beverages not be brought in. They do not have snacks though, so feel free to bring those as long as you clean up after yourself.

Nev the Deranged

First Post
Man, I just got home from work and I am so jealous of you guys. >.<

Did someone say Triple PPPs is gone? That's too bad, I always enjoyed driving by that and trying to decide if that meant "PPP" or "PPP PPP PPP".

I frequent the Las Vegas restaurant there on the corner, and the Dunkin Robbins in Piggly Wiggly center behind it, for business purposes. I like the area, except for the one time I strayed two blocks over and was trying to figure out what the hell "M" meant on the road sign before realizing I was in Wisconsin.

Anyway, I'm really bummed I couldn't make it =( But I hope you guys are having fun anyway.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Had a great time, today, and many thanks to our host, Bob, coordinators, Kelly and Laurie, and DM Troy for all the fun! Let's make it a regular tradition! :)

ekb

First Post
Follow-up + Post-mortem

Just got done with the event and my Taco Hell... And I have to say, it fits the day pretty well.

1 - The space was pretty good: the lack of outlets or signage and the "in-progress" state of half of the total space didn't help - but it was comfortable, clean and convenient venue.
2 - The online sign-up confused some folks. Maybe having sign-up sheets posted in the store/venue beforehand along with an info sheet/flier next time?
3 - The games themselves: I had a great time and it seemed like almost everyone else did as well. We had a good mix of folks, even with the walk-in folks...
4 - Walk-ins came in with only a couple of people in the space... maybe having a couple of people volunteer to be "tour guides" next time might help give people more consistent info.

But on a scale from 0-10, I'd give it a 7 - Fun, with some room for improvement. Thoughts?

Remove ads