Player Sign Up Thread - Chicago Gameday North - April 26th - Antioch, IL - 4E Demo!

Ninjacat

First Post
YAY for a second (or fourth, or still second of the year...oh, whatever, Screw Math!) GameDay!

The venue-in-progress was a bit... ..interesting... but honestly, if you heard the details of what the poor folks at Friends Hobby are going through, you wouldn't hold it against them (union contractors going bankrupt and abandoning jobs is totally not under their control, not to mention city bureaucracy and sudden hospital stays...) But it really was fun, and the place will quite obviously be an outstanding venue once they've gotten it all together.

I'm not sure where the confusion on the sign up thread could have come from, as it's all pretty straightforward and pretty much directly cloned form the formula successfully used in Mt. Prospect lo these many years, but maybe that's part of it...we regulars may be taking it for granted. Also, come to think of it, Buzz often organizes a flier/poster type deal at Games Plus for the Mt. Prospect GameDays, so maybe something of the sort in-store at Friends Hobby might make things clearer for future Antioch GameDays...something to point interested parties at the correct thread here on EnWorld or clearly spell out they're welcome to walk in come the day, anyway.

Confusion and last minute attendence issues aside, I had a blast. I would love to do it again, and I'd love to see the Antioch GameDay grow to as much of a success as the Mt. Prospect one has.

And Extra Thanks to Kelly & Laurie for organizing, playing, GMing, and bringing donuts. *g*

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
ekb said:
Just got done my Taco Hell...

I had an overwhelming urge for the same and had to stop there.

Thanks to all who attended. Thanks to Ninjacat for a spooky time. :)

Thanks to my demo players, I'm even more excited about 4E now.

ekb said:
Thoughts?

Bob and Andy were going to take care of the local advertising (fliers, etc.) because I was busy. As everyone could see by the state of the store, they were just as busy to the point that they hadn't finished setting up the second store. Next time it would probably help if someone else could volunteer for the local advertising aspect.

ekb

First Post
Oh, yeah... can't forget the doughnuts!

Don't misunderstand me: it was a good time and a great space and I think everyone appreciated the work that went into the event. It's just that I was making suggestions for the next time, dig? GenCon wasn't built in a day... ;)

Hell, I'm thinking of seeing if there's interest in running some sort of monthly "try an indie RPG day" in the space, with hardcopies available a couple of doors down "priced to own" (that is, if it's not a free game). There are loads of hard-to-find books lurking in those bags...

By sign-up, I was referring to the people who called the store and were referred back to here. That's kind of confusing - but I'm also more service-oriented than most. YMMV.

I'm swap-phased right now - I'm up, but want to go back to bed because my sinuses are killing me. AND I have my slush pile for Game Chef to still get through.... <sigh>

bigznak

First Post
The Games Day worked out fine in my opinion. Its a little far for me 72 miles, but I had a great time. I enjoyed playing Grindhouse, and then trying out 4e was well worth it. I am not sold on buying fourth yet, but I would love to play in a regular 4e game. As said before, this is the first games day north, I don't think the 1st games day at mount prospect had as many people its been having in the last couple games days. It was probably small too, so lets not give up, I think word will spread and the games days will get to be more and more people as time goes on.

Chris

MythosaAkira

Explorer
My wife and I were only there for the afternoon session, but things seem to go fine are far as we could tell (granted, it was the first Games Day we attended at either Friends or GP).

We had a good time playing the 4E demo (thanks, Vyvyan!), and we're going to try to attend more in the future.

buzz

Adventurer
Vyv, it looks like the event was a success. Congrats!

ekb said:
By sign-up, I was referring to the people who called the store and were referred back to here. That's kind of confusing - but I'm also more service-oriented than most. YMMV.
The snag is that you want people to go through the sign-up thread if at all possible. It just makes it easier to track signups and keep people informed.

Vyv, if it makes it easier next time, let me know the URL of the sign-up thread, and I can post it on the Gameday site. It's probably easier to direct people to "gameday.buzzmo.com" and just make the sign-up link prominent. I'm sorry I didn't think of that sooner.

Or, hey, start your own site. :D

Ninjacat said:
Also, come to think of it, Buzz often organizes a flier/poster type deal at Games Plus for the Mt. Prospect GameDays...
I try to always have a sign-up sheet with registered players' usernames on it, with some extra space for walk-ins. It was more important when we did prize giveaways, because we wanted to make sure walk-ins (or even random passers-by) didn't grab prizes ahead of registrants. Now, it's pretty much just a tool for me to track attendance.

More importantly, I have a printout of all the events and their sign-ups. People always seem to forget who's running their event. :) And, it's handy for the walk-ins.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
buzz said:
Vyv, it looks like the event was a success. Congrats!

Thanks.

buzz said:
The snag is that you want people to go through the sign-up thread if at all possible. It just makes it easier to track signups and keep people informed.

Vyv, if it makes it easier next time, let me know the URL of the sign-up thread, and I can post it on the Gameday site. It's probably easier to direct people to "gameday.buzzmo.com" and just make the sign-up link prominent. I'm sorry I didn't think of that sooner.

Or, hey, start your own site. :D

I may take you up on that next time if you really don't mind. I also talked to the guys at the store today about posting a link to the sign up thread on the store website so they have an easy way to direct people to it that call the store.

buzz said:
I try to always have a sign-up sheet with registered players' usernames on it, with some extra space for walk-ins. It was more important when we did prize giveaways, because we wanted to make sure walk-ins (or even random passers-by) didn't grab prizes ahead of registrants. Now, it's pretty much just a tool for me to track attendance.

More importantly, I have a printout of all the events and their sign-ups. People always seem to forget who's running their event. :) And, it's handy for the walk-ins.

We did this too. What Ninjacat is referring to is the fliers put up in the store or other local venues. I asked the guys at the store for help with that because I was busy, but so were they, so no posters or fliers were created this time around.

I still think we had a good turnout. Plus I've got a group of 4-5 people that couldn't make it that day that were interested in the 4E demo. I will probably run that for them one of these upcoming Saturdays.

Thanks for the advice and your support in getting the word out on buzzmo.com. Laurie and I will see you in June for the next Gameday. I'm already formulating Friend Computer's newest reward for his hard-working Troubleshooters - a fantasy theme park where they can relax and have fun killing clone vat monsters and taking their stuff dubbed Arpeegee Land. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads