D&D (2024) Playtest 6: Paladin ... Divine Smite is a Spell now

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It seems like we are reaching the point where the disdain for the Wizard class is approaching 'disdain for Drizzt' levels.

Frankly I never thought I'd see the day. ;)

Guythegard

Villager
It makes the spell mor of a tactile thing rather than a boring slot machine that rewords you on crit…. It can know be liked for more reasons than just being addictive.

F5

Explorer
Well I mean the fact that this is a bonus action but it acts like a reaction…the whole mechanic is already strange
This is my main question about this change; we already have a game mechanic where an action happens in response to some other criteria. Why aren't these spells Reactions, instead of weirdly-phrased bonus actions? Reactions already work this way.

The wording of the smites could say "Casting Time: Reaction, which you take immediately after hitting a target with a melee weapon or an Unarmed Strike"

Mechanically, this works just like shield or feather fall. You can take a reaction on your turn. It still limits you to only being able to smite once per turn (which seems to be a design goal here), and still lets you use a GFB or BB cantrips and still be able to smite with them. It just seems to me that making these smite spells reactions makes more sense in terms of how the rules already work, and frees up the bonus action for other things.

It means you can't take an attack of opportunity on a turn when you smite. It's still counterspellable. There are still arguments to be made for or against smites-as-spells. But they should be Reactions, not bonus actions.

Nadan

Explorer
This is my main question about this change; we already have a game mechanic where an action happens in response to some other criteria. Why aren't these spells Reactions, instead of weirdly-phrased bonus actions? Reactions already work this way.

The wording of the smites could say "Casting Time: Reaction, which you take immediately after hitting a target with a melee weapon or an Unarmed Strike"

Mechanically, this works just like shield or feather fall. You can take a reaction on your turn. It still limits you to only being able to smite once per turn (which seems to be a design goal here), and still lets you use a GFB or BB cantrips and still be able to smite with them. It just seems to me that making these smite spells reactions makes more sense in terms of how the rules already work, and frees up the bonus action for other things.

It means you can't take an attack of opportunity on a turn when you smite. It's still counterspellable. There are still arguments to be made for or against smites-as-spells. But they should be Reactions, not bonus actions.
Reaction spell mean they don't block paladin's other bonus action features, and beside smites there are also other bonus action spell in divine list that can activate again with BA like Spiritual Weapon. Smites block them all out is a feature, not a bug, to limite paladin's nova power.

Var

Explorer
Has anyone put any thought into the very minor change to Smites that no longer requires Melee Weapon Attacks like the 2014 version, but Attacks with Melee Weapons?
Even though we lost ranged weapons like bows and crossbows from the last playtest, throwing weapons are still fair game for Smites now. Throwing a Javelin to ground a Dragon with Thunderous Smite, or just the usual big damage on a random crit.
Heck you could go full Thrower and still be decent at melee, although I think that's going to be a lot less relevant than just adding the tactical option to use a ranged Smite in general.

Just adds build options I've never seen before which seems fun. The usual Warlock Multiclass SAD Devil's Sight, Darkness, Returning Pact Weapon Warlock/Pally Multiclass. Spear with PAM + Dueling FS as a ranged/melee hybrid frontliner with a Shield for big chunky AC and threat area.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Has anyone put any thought into the very minor change to Smites that no longer requires Melee Weapon Attacks like the 2014 version, but Attacks with Melee Weapons?
Every penny of the playtest should be devoted to revising the drunkeness of the 'Attack with weapon'/'weapon attack' thing.

No one gets paid until this isn't a thing anymore.

Remove ads