pneumatik's WotBS 3: Shelter from the Storm

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Shaylir enjoys her tome in the wild. She doesn't know where she will end up by following along with the others so she takes what time she has enjoying the feel of grass under her feet and the sound of the animals all around.

"Fritz I think I should have been born a fox," she says as she sits idly stroking the foxes back. "Or a squirrel. So then I could climb the trees till I almost touched the sky."

She sighs and dreams of what it would be like to be each of the animals of the forest.

[sblock=stats]
HP: 31/31
AC: 19
Init: +3
Fort: +8
Reflex: +5
Will: +9(+10 vs fear)

Dagger = +4 to hit, (+3 BAB, +1 size) - 1d3/19-20x2

Spells:
Druid
0- Create Water (2/2), Guidance, Detect Magic
1- Calm Animals, Goodberries, Cure Light Wounds - 1d8+4
2- Hold Animal, Bull's Strength, Cure Light Wounds - 1d8+4

Cleric
0- Mending, Resistance, Read Magic, Light
1- Shield of Faith, Bless, Protection from Evil, Cure Light Wounds(d)- 1d8+3

Pearl of power (1st lvl): unused
Turn undead: 4/4
Speak with Animals: 1/1
Vow of Healing: 4/4 [/sblock]

5608853746_d7cba95232_s.jpg
Shaylir

Arkhandus

First Post
Liiros bows and replies "Thank you, Staret. You honor us and our efforts. I shall endeavor to live up to the title and then some. And perhaps slay a few more ogres with my dagger, if it will amuse you," finishing in a lighter tone, with a smirk.

Turning his head towards Arshen, he says "I am sorry to hear of your decision, Arshen, but it is an understandable one. You are a strict man, but have been a stalwart and welcome ally in battle."

He turns his gaze back to Staret Timson and, if the meeting is finished, excuses himself to spend some time relaxing in the village.

Rhun

First Post
In a field surrounded by sheep, the town clerk says to Hollister, "I suspect we can work something out now, though any actual exchange will have to wait until this evening when I bring the sheep in. What type of spells would you be interested in?"

"My chosen domain of study involves fire magic. But I'd be interested in learning other offensive or defensive spells, or perhaps utility spells." Hollister shrugs and smiles. "In my line of work, one can never tell what will be of use."

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
"My chosen domain of study involves fire magic. But I'd be interested in learning other offensive or defensive spells, or perhaps utility spells." Hollister shrugs and smiles. "In my line of work, one can never tell what will be of use."
"Well, then, let's see. I'd be willing to let you copy Mount, Unseen Servant, Comprehend Languages, Sleep, Reduce Person, or Color Spray for 25 gold, or Arcane Lock, Locate Object, or Shatter for 50 gold. I think that's fair."

Rhun

First Post
"If you are willing, I'd would happily pay you the amount in gold to learn each of those spells." Hollister strokes his goatee as he considers. "Yes, I believe my companions and I will be spending a couple of days in your fair village, recuperating from the hardships of the Fire Forest. That would give me plenty of time to copy the spells into my tomes."

OOC: If I read correctly, for 300gp Hollister could copy all of the noted spells into his book. He would happily accept this deal.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
[sblock=Hollister]Your math is right. 300gp to copy everything, plus whatever your spellbook costs are.[/sblock]
Back at the KotAC chapterhouse, Staret Timson puts his hand on Liiros' shoulder. "Don't go anywhere, squire. The process starts now. I'll let your companions know you're busy. Let's go inside. You, too, squire Arshen." Timson leads to a hallway behind the chapterhouse's chapel to, where he opens the door to a tiny room. In one corner is a chamberpot. On the floor in another corner is a simple robe made of coarse homespun. A small barred window close to the ceiling provides light. "Change into the robe, Liiros. Put all your clothes and possessions in the hallway and close the door. Spend your time in contemplation and prayer. I'll get you when we're ready."

Liiros does as directed and begins to wait. Midday comes and goes without incident. As evening turns into night Liiros concludes that he'll be spending the night in the cell, as well. Only after the sun has risen again does Staret Timson come for Liiros. "Squire Liiros, you've successfully kept your vigil. Come bathe and be cleansed," Timson says ritually.

He repeats the process with Arshen in a nearby room and then leads you both to a larger room with two large wooden tubs filled with hot water. Soap and towls sit on stand nearby, and next to them are your freshly laundered clothes and other possessions. When you're washed and dressed he leads you into the chapel, explaining your role in the upcoming ritual as you go.

You both kneel before Timson at the front of the chapel. "Squire Liiros Tivaniel and Squire Arshen Dundrailen, in your time as Squires you have adhered to the tenets of our order.
  • You have followed our rules and obeyed orders from your superiors.
  • You have stayed true to the teachings of your Gods.
  • You have never fled a battle from fear or put others at risk that you could have accepted yourself.
  • You have not taken advantage of your adversaries.
  • Your behavior, manners, and etiquette have been above reproach.
  • You have always kept your word.
  • You have served the poor, the widowed, the orphaned, and all who seek justice.
Arise, Staret Liiros, Determined Vigil. Arise, Staret Arshen, Unyielding Vigil. Welcome to the order, Brothers.

"You have been made a member of an order entrusted with secret knowledge that cannot be shared with the unworthy. You must now take your First Oath as Knight. Do you swear upon your honor as a Knight to maintain the secrets of the order and to punish those who forswear this oath?"

"On my honor as a Knight, I so swear," reply Liiros and Arshen.

"I will now share with you the Prophecy of Azmarender:
And behold, The Great Empire will crumble and the people will be afflicted by all manner of men and creatures. There shall arise a band that are the heirs of empire, for in them is the knowledge that each may call upon the strength within. And lo, their suffering shall be great, but it will bring them enlightenment. It is for them alone to know the power of the blood. It is to them that the spirits of the fallen pay homage. They shall bring peace to the people and all will rejoice at their coming. And you shall know them thus, they shall be lead by him who knows a secret, which is the salvation of the world.
"Know that as Knights, you may tap into the hidden strength that lies within. That is our first precept. If you advance you will learn more."

[sblock=ooc]That took much longer than I thought to write. Game mechanics later, but in short "Unleash Inner Strength" is a feat that Liiros and Arshen can now take.

I haven't explained as much about the KotAC as I probably should have. Feel free to ask questions.

Note that only Liiros, Arshen, and Timnos were present for the ceremony.

Timson does leave a message at the inn explaining where Liiros and Arshen are.[/sblock]

Arkhandus

First Post
Staret Liiros Tivaniel, Determined Vigil of the Aquilline Cross

"You do us great honor, Staret Timson. I shall continue to serve the Order as best I can wherever I tread, even as I do Corellon's work to protect my kin and others from the Scourge and Ragesian oppression. I trust Staret Arshen will serve well here in stemming the tide of any Ragesian surges past the mountains. Farewell, and may we share a bottle of wine someday after this Ragesian mess is over and dealt with," Liiros replies after the ritual is complete.

He does a short bow and shakes hands with the other two men before leaving to rejoin the group and see if they've learned anything or made preparations to continue onward yet.

[sblock=ooc]I already know some facts about the Knights of the Watch from the Living Greyhawk Gazeteer, and I believe they also have some details in Tome & Blood, another supplement I have. Of course, I don't know anything about the Knights of the Aquilline Cross beyond what's in the WotBS player's guide.[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
Hollister sets to work copying the town clerk's spells, and then pays the man for those he copies.

OOC: Based on the 100gp per page cost for writing materials, I think Hollister will limit his purchase as follows:

Comprehend Languages 25 + 100 materials = 125gp
Reduce Person 25 + 100 materials = 125gp
Locate Object 50 + 200 materials = 250gp

500gp total

Also, is there a money changer in town? Or do you not keep track of coin weight. I ask because 2000gp weighs about 40lb, and that would really bog my character down.

Last edited:

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
After a relaxing day of recovery in a quiet village you all get back on the road. You spend the next several weeks travelling cross-country across Dassen. Other than one brief encounter with would-be highwaymen, the trip is uneventful. Compared to Gate Pass and Innenotdar, it's actually pretty pleasant.

Seaquen is on the tip of rocky a peninsula. Separating it from Dassen is Sour Lake swamp. And so it is that you end your pleasant journey at the edge of a swamp in the shanty town of Vidor. "It ain't much, but it's the last stop before days of swamp. And it's supposed to be a really terrible swamp."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Terrible?" Shaylir asks ears perking up. "How so? Are we going to be swallowed whole by giant crocodiles? Get bogged down in quicksand and die of starvation? Is there ROUSes?

[sblock=Rodents of Unusual Size] Sorry couldn't resist - trust me I tried. :p[/sblock]

Remove ads