pogre's story hour Zandyrium -episode 66- (5/10/2006) A short update.

pogre

Legend
Scorch said:
Hah! I am noticing a lot of plastic minis working their way into your adventures. Great for when you have a sudden need for a dozen giant toads.

BUSTED! I'm so embarrassed :eek: !

Well, for a long time I would not allow any plastic on my table. But Wassabe's player (SpaceHulkster on here) kept tempting me with just the right miniature for so many encounters. As we face tons of huge and gargantuan foes I had NO chance of keeping up painting wise. So, given the choice between pictures with some plastic and no pictures - I took some pictures...

It's like getting caught riding a moped :heh: : :lol:

pogre

Legend
Zandyrium
Episode 54

“Greetings Captain Dirth,” Mercutio said extending his hand.

“Hello Mercutio,” Dirth replied grasping the sorcerer’s hand.

“Captain?” Wassabe asked.

“Dirth here was a captain in the Thraegian guard for quite a number of years,” Mercutio answered.

“Twelve to be exact,” Dirth added.

“So you fought during the Saturnus Breach?” Thoren asked.

“You could say that,” Dirth answered.

“Dirth was instrumental in hunting down Saturnus,” Mercutio elaborated, “I believe he retired on the prize he was awarded.”

“This too is true,” Dirth replied. “But, enough of my history, what’s going on here?”

“We are seeking some ruins in the Thraegian hills,” Mercutio said, “I thought your experience in the countryside would be helpful.”

“Perhaps we should retire to a coffee stand?” Heinrich suggested.

“Excellent idea,” Wassabe stated and began leading the way to a nearby shop.

Thraegian coffee stands were loud, boisterous places full of cursing merchants and a mixture of aromas. The odors of southern coffee blends mix with the distinct smell of Saracen tobacco blends to make an alluring, if somewhat smoky, atmosphere. Everyone in the large group ordered drinks and Wassabe ordered a waterpipe with Timbukkian tobacco.

“You do realize that stuff is a mild hallucinogen,” Mercutio warned.

“Why do you think I ordered it?” Wassabe answered with a smile.

Heinrich opened the map Silcrass had given the group on a table. He pointed out the red circle.

“That looks like a small circle, but it’s not a small area,” Dirth commented. “This is in the area of a Fey Realm too.”

“A Fey Realm?” Thoren asked.

“There is a large forest here controlled by a Faerie King,” Dirth said, “or at least there used to be. It has been ten or eleven years since I was in that area.”

“Are the Fey friendly?” Ginny asked.

“Sometimes, they are a capricious and cruel lot most of the time,” Dirth replied. “We can be sure your ruins are on one of the low mountains in the area. The Fey would not permit it in the forest even for someone they were on good terms with.”

“At least that narrows our search parameters,” Justinius offered.

The group finished their drinks and Wassabe finished his Timbukkian tobacco. They then went to a small alley behind the Agora and teleported to the area on the map.

“These six mountains are the most likely candidates for our ruins,” Dirth said pointing to the six low peaks surrounding the group’s location.

“Let’s scout them out to see if there is anything obviously unusual about any of them,” Ginny suggested.

“I will save us some time,” Mercutio promised. The sorcerer cast fly on Githraldul “Go to that mountain and come back and tell us what you see.”

Githraldul flew off to the mountain. The mountains were low, ancient, rounded peaks with poor soil and covered in scraggy coniferous trees and bushes. Wildlife was mostly absent, only a few goats and the occasional golden eagle roams the slopes. Githraldul returned and informed the group.

Mercutio repeated the procedure and Githraldul reported back on each mountain. One feature stood out to the ranger. On one mountain he noticed an enormous deciduous tree on an otherwise barren slope. The adventurers agreed that this is where they should start their search.

The tree was one of the largest specimen’s anyone had ever seen. It towered over 200-feet into the air and its canopy spread over a large area. A dense roots network spread out from the tree’s base like many trees found in the swamps.

“Perhaps the tree is Criador’s demesne,” Ginny suggested.

“I was thinking the same thing,” Heinrich said.

“I could start chopping it down,” Dirth offered.

“Not yet,” Mercutio said, “Let me check something.” Mercutio cast detect magic and announced to no one’s surprise the tree was magical.

“If we camp for the night I could talk to the tree tomorrow,” Githraldul offered.

Heinrich cast true seeing and it was quickly revealed to him that the tree was not what it appeared to be. The dense network of roots descended into a large shaft. The roots formed the first steps down into the shaft and then the staircase winding down the sides of the shaft became finished stone. The ground, which the tree appeared to stand on, was in fact an illusion. Heinrich pointed his findings out to the group.

Many in the group struggled to see past the illusion, but Heinrich reassured them that if they were to but follow his steps along the roots they would descend into the shaft. Following a quick discussion the group decided to head down.

Once below the ground level all could see they were in a very deep shaft with a staircase descending following the edge of the shaft. The shaft itself was perhaps 35-feet across with a 20-foot wide hole in the middle. It was not possible to look all the way down the shaft as the tree’s roots continued in a tangled latticework down the middle of the shaft.

The group descended into the shaft and was impressed by the craftsmanship of the structure. As they rounded the stairs they saw a landing with three portals ahead. Two had solid-looking wooden doors, but the middle door was smashed and in pieces on the landing.

“Ginny, do you want to scout ahead a bit?” Thoren asked.

Ginny nodded quietly and padded softly down to the landing. The first door was swollen shut by humidity and Ginny could not get it to budge. She decided to move on to the next closed door. She started to move past the broken door when an enormous claw reached out and clamped around her midsection. Ginny involuntarily let out a scream of pain.

The rest of the adventurers viewing the dark red claw clamped around Ginny began bounding down the stairs. The gigantic scorpion began backing away down a large tunnel with Ginny still secure in its claw.

She tried to struggle, but it was no use. It felt like the thing was going to snap in her half. Her screams echoed down the long tunnel.

To be continued…

Old One

First Post
Pogre,

Nice update! Ever since running my Grim Tales/BCCS Hybrid at the last NC Game Day...giant scorpions are my new favorite critters. Poor Ginny...

~ OO

spacehulkster

First Post
"The sorcerer cast fly on Githraldul “Go to that mountain and come back and tell us what you see.”"

Looks like Mercutio has procurred another familiar! ;)

pogre

Legend
Zandyrium
Episode 55

The scorpion scrambled backwards into a dark cavern as Ginny screamed out for help. Two more monstrously gigantic scorpions awaited the fresh meat in the cavern and together the three vermin began stinging Ginny repeatedly. The poison coursed through Ginny without effect though as she wore a magical periapt rendering her immune to all poisons. Nonetheless, the powerful barbed stingers tore viciously at her flesh and she was losing a lot of blood. The scorpion’s powerful claw continued to squeeze her.

Wassabe and Thoren rushed down the tunnel followed by the rest of the group. What they could not know was they were rushing into a den of brutal claws. Quickly the two lead men were snatched up in scorpions’ claws as well!

The rest of the adventurers came after to see stingers dripping with poison injected in Wassabe and Thoren who were struggling to gain freedom. Mercutio brought forth magical fire that damaged the scorpions, but still they squeezed their victims. Ginny fell to the ground unconscious and as the scorpion began to lower itself to feed on her. A timely blow from Dirth and a magical fire from Morguhn killed the scorpion before it could consume Ginny.

Wassabe and Thoren fell unconscious, but fortunately the scorpions were felled nearly silmutaneously. Heinrich and Justinius quickly moved through to the wounded and healed them. The adventurers rested and began to look around the cavern cautiously.

The adventurers eventually made their way back to the first door Ginny had passed. Ginny inspected the door carefully and listened for any activity beyond.

Thoren and Dirth forced the door open and the adventurers explored the old bedrooms beyond, finding a child’s room and a caretaker’s room.

They also stumbled upon a journal with some entries concerning expenses of running the demesne, but they also found a pair of unusual entries.

Payment – 500 gold – griffin hunting party.
Purchase – 400 gold – 3,000 lb. Block of fine granite

The adventurers briefly debated the import of these entries, but finally decided they were not all that unusual given this place was the abode of a very powerful wizard.

The adventurers discovered a storage area for dry goods, a kitchen, and a cold storage area.

They happened upon a very lovely dining room that had pleasant music still filtering through it.

Still, the rooms had all been mundane for the most part. No protections, nothing unusual, and the only conflict had come with an obvious invader, the scorpions. The stairs beckoned the adventurers further down…

To be continued…

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Awesome SH, Pogre! It's a great read.

I have to say, you have the most impressive collection of minis and scenery I've ever seen. Not a bad painter either I must add!

Kane

pogre

Legend
Kanegrunder - you are too kind - thank you!

Remember all pictures are thumbnail links to larger photos.

Zandyrium
Episode 56

Ginny checked out the old oak door and announced it as safe. Opening the door the adventurers were greeted with the odor of rotting animal flesh and wet fur and feathers. The large chamber that stretched before them was a dark dismal affair, especially compared with the lighted shaft they had been descending in. The adventurers held their light sources aloft to gain a better view.

“What is that?” Thoren asked in half-surprise.

The fighter was referring to a horrifying and yet strange looking beast. The head was of a great eagle head, lion arms and paws, eagle wings, and a bipedal humanoid lower body. The beast eyed the party warily.

Wassabe whispered to Mercutio, “I wonder if it’s hostile?”

The beast let out a loud screech and half-loped, half-flew to the attack.

“There is your answer!” Mercutio replied loudly. The sorcerer let loose a pair of scorching rays at the attacking mutant. Both magical fire rays bounced off its hide. A sudden realization came to the sorcerer, “It’s a golem!”

Morguhn, the dwarven wizard, cursed and went for casting a couple of buff spells on his comrades instead.

The creature crashed into Thoren with a resounding thud. It buried its beak into his meaty thigh. This was a terrible sort of fight with this horrid creature and its nasty fur, feathers, beaks, and claws. It was savage and unrelenting like something starved for a millennium. It was also Thoren’s kind of fight.

Thoren loaded up on his swings with his powerful weapon. His slashes equaled the fury of the beast and bit deeply into its hide. His great weapon came down with unequalled force slashing a massive amount of back flesh off the creature, exposing the length of its spin. Splattering of blood and gore covered the other adventurers. The might of the blow was so terrible and amazing in its carnage Wassabe could only giggle maniacally at his comrade’s destructive fury.

The hapless beast fell to a pair of Githraldul’s arrows and the echo of Wassabe’s giggling still echoed through the chamber.

Thoren turned and looked at Wassabe, “What?” The fighter’s face was red with blood and gore and his hair was matted by the same. Part of the mess was covered in fine feathers. Some of the other adventurers now giggled a bit at his appearance.

“Yer’ beautiful man, that’s all,” Wassabe answered.

Thoren gave a harrumph as a reply and turned around.

The adventurers next came to a door with some ancient common labeling it. “Looks like there is a library beyond,” Heinrich announced after reading it. The group anxiously pushed through the doors and found themselves in an entry chamber with a larger pair of doors beyond. The double doors were flanked by two large statues of the goddess of learning and knowledge.

“Keep an eye on them statues,” Wassabe warned sternly.

Ginny moved to the large double doors to inspect them and as she did so the two statues sprang to life!

“You predictable bastards!” Wassabe cried out.

The statues had transformed into Clay Golems that were moving toward the group.

Mercutio yelled, “These things are immune to anything I can do. I’m out of here.”

Wassabe and Thoren began the grim task of fighting the magical constructs. Ginny and the clerics did what they could, but truly this was a fighter’s task. The golems took a terrible toll on Heinrich and Thoren smashing huge open, festering wounds. It was a brutal battle and Thoren nearly fell, but the golems were finally dismantled. It was following the conflict that the adventurers realized they might have a larger problem. The festering wounds caused by the golems were not healing through normal spells or prayers. Heinrich and Justinius continued throwing healing prayers and some worked, but many more failed. The clerics frustration was palpable.

While the clerics struggled with the wounds Ginny continued inspecting the huge double doors. She finally announced that the portal was trap free. Healed as well as the clerics could manage for the time, Thoren moved over to the doors and opened them. A whoosh issued forth like a cork coming off an old bottle and the adventurers viewed one of the largest libraries they had ever seen.

Thoughts of the troublesome wounds were quickly forgotten as the adventurers moved into the amazing room. Mercutio in particular was giddy and pranced from huge shelf to huge shelf inspecting the tomes. “There are thousands of books here!” he exclaimed.

“They seem perfectly preserved,” Justinius observed.

“We have to take them,” Mercutio said.

“What are they worth?” Thoren asked.

“We are NOT selling them!” Mercutio protested.

Thoren shrugged his shoulders.

“Who the hell says we’re not sellin’ ‘em?” Wassabe demanded. “Take what you want and we’ll sell the rest.”

“This represents a body of knowledge,” Mercutio tried to explain. “It is all of value to me.”

“There is the problem of storage,” Justinius observed.

“I know of place we can keep them and get something in return,” Heinrich said.

The cleric of Siegphorus now had everyone’s attention.

“Yes?” Mercutio asked.

“I say we take them to Bison Cave and give them to Silcrass,” Heinrich answered.

“He will owe us big for all this,” Wassabe answered.

“He would be happy to share and give me access to them,” Mercutio agreed.

“It is settled then,” Ginny said. “Mercutio, why don’t you teleport to Bison Cave and let Silcrass know. The two of you can move the books back there.”

Mercutio, Githraldul, and Morguhn teleported to Bison Cave to inform a delighted Silcrass of their find and gift. The rest of the party camped in the library.

To be continued…

Remove ads