pogre's story hour Zandyrium -episode 66- (5/10/2006) A short update.

spacehulkster

First Post
"Never...split...the...party!"

Such true words! ;)
But there's always going to be problems getting everyone together. :\
Anyway, those books needed protect'in. Who knows what kind of barbarian would of come in here and read anything he wanted. well er... if he could read, that is!

spacehulkster said:
"Never...split...the...party!"

Such true words! ;)
But there's always going to be problems getting everyone together. :\
Anyway, those books needed protect'in. Who knows what kind of barbarian would of come in here and read anything he wanted. well er... if he could read, that is!

Exactly!

Just think what that barbarian could do to all these books, if he had a smoking lounge with lots of cushions? Oh the horror! :p

pogre

Legend
Zandyrium
Episode 57

The following morning a small disagreement broke out…

“We need to keep moving these books and we are not even a fourth of the way through,” Mercutio explained for the second time.

“Maybe you can recall the reasons we were summoned for this mission was a Chimeyan slaver party is looking for this artifact,” Ginny retorted. The stubbornness of the Saracen-touched sorcerer occasionally infuriated her – this was certainly one of those times. She could feel the blood rising to her face as Mercutio shook his head defiantly.

“I have not forgotten, but this library may be the most valuable thing in here,” Mercutio countered.

“By the very nature of our mission we know this not to be true,” Justinius argued.

“Look, I’m not changing my mind, we are moving these books first,” Mercutio replied.

“And we will be pushing on,” Heinrich announced. “There is no sense in arguing any further. Ginny, Wassabe, Thoren, Justinius, and I will push on - while the rest of you move the books. We will meet you, with Siegphorus’s blessing, at Silcrass’s.”

“Strength and honor, Heinrich,” Mercutio said giving the traditional Siegphorus words of faith.

“Strength and honor, my friend,” Heinrich replied with a half smile.

“It looks like a bedroom,” Thoren observed.

“Nothin’ gets past ye’, eagle eye,” Wassabe quipped.

A cool breeze wafting through it and the distinctive odor of spring flowers complimented this well-furnished room

Following a brief search the adventurers found a journal with just a few legible entries, including this one:

An explosion in alchemical lab today. Nearly was the end. Must be more careful. Still a useful concoction for making wards and such I suppose.

“Note to self,” Wassabe announced, “No shaking knick knacks in the alchemical lab.”

The adventurers went on to find a wardrobe and a sitting room with lovely clay pipes and what must have once been some very fine pipe tobacco. They also found a few arcane books of interest, but not the tome they were searching for.

“I could hack everything to pieces,” Thoren suggested.

“By the gods you are hard on furniture,” Wassabe answered. To this point Thoren had destroyed nearly every stick of furniture in the complex and was most perplexed the party had not allowed him to hack apart every book shelf in the library.

“Thoren,” Heinrich explained patiently, “I have every reason to believe one of the most powerful magical books created in the last millennium radiates at least some magic and we have detected none.”

“You can’t be too sure,” Thoren said. Thoren was a simple fellow. It wasn’t that the fighter was not able to accept the obvious; he just could not discern what was obvious.

Justinius wagged his head towards Thoren, “You can come back and break the furniture after we further explore this fortress. Ginny has searched it thoroughly, and for now that must satisfy you.”

Thoren merely shrugged his shoulders in resigned acquiescence.

Ginny picked the ancient door’s lock and Thoren pushed the door open. The room was full of shelves covered with jars, beakers, pots, and pouches. Two large tables dominated the middle of the room and a shallow trough ran around the tables. A large creature, apparently made of stone, stumbled towards the adventurers.

The Stone Golem made a motion towards Thoren and he was instantly slowed. The resulting fight was like a pair of boys fighting with pond reeds – lots of hits, but no real damage. Magic was ineffective against the golem, but the slowed Thoren finally managed to take the golem out.

The alchemical lab itself was in poor repair and almost all of the components were ruined. Ginny did manage to find some gold dust that she secured.

The room was a very large uneven hexagon with three huge arches on the far end. The arches reached over 30 feet into the air and each keystone had a separate word on it - Terrarum, Aer, and Ignis. There was smoky haze beyond each of the arches making it impossible to see beyond.

Heinrich cast a quick prayer and soon had the words translated, “Earth, wind, and fire.”

“You are a shining star,” Wassabe said.

“What?” Heinrich asked.

“I don’t know – it just came out,” Wassabe responded with a look of genuine confusion.

“This is clearly some sort of elemental focus,” Justinius observed. “I would prefer to avoid this unless we have to go here.”

“Agreed,” Heinrich remarked.

The adventurers had explored a large golem workshop and defeated its guardians before coming to the final level. There they found a large brass door with three indented areas.

“I cannot get past this,” Ginny admitted.

“These look like elemental keys,” Justinius said glumly.

“Back to the elemental focus room?” Heinrich asked.

The adventurers agreed and they hiked back up the long stairs to the large room.

To be continued…

Old One

First Post
pogre said:
Zandyrium
Episode 57

Heinrich cast a quick prayer and soon had the words translated, “Earth, wind, and fire.”

“You are a shining star,” Wassabe said.

“What?” Heinrich asked.

“I don’t know – it just came out,” Wassabe responded with a look of genuine confusion.

Now that's just WRONG :p :D ;)...plus, you are showing your age!

~ OO

spacehulkster

First Post
"Your a shining star, No matter who you are, shinning bright you see..."

who said that RPGing means you need to escape your past! Just the present. :lol:

"this library may be the most valuable thing in here,” Mercutio countered."

this kind of sentence keeps appearring in most of our adventures.
What's the symbolism? ;)

pogre

Legend
Zandyrium
Episode 58

The elemental focus room, as they had come to label it, brought a sense of fear in the adventurers. Wassabe was quick to point out, “Look at the size of those arches!”

Heinrich noted, “The key is we must only face one of the guardians at a time.”

“Look,” Ginny said, “We have no idea if there are guardians. If this is where we will find the keys for the lower door. Or what, if anything, lurks beyond those arches.”

“Do something or I’ll be walking through one of these arches,” Thoren grumped.

“Yes, yes,” Heinrich clucked. “Patience. Justinius, tell me what you think is beyond each of these arches.”

Justinius stroked his goatee thoughtfully for a moment and then spoke, “This is purely conjecture on my part, but I believe each chamber holds a small slice of the respective elemental planes.”

“In other words don’t bother with banishment?” Heinrich asked.

“Yes,” Justinius replied. “I think calling the name above the arch may be enough to break the binding and summon whatever lies beyond.”

“Perhaps we should get the rest,” Ginny said referring to Mercutio, Morguhn, and Githraldul.

“By the gods!” Thoren wailed. “Go cower in a remote corner and I will do this myself!”

Wassabe chuckled at the fighter’s outburst, “I’m with him. Let’s dance.”

Heinrich looked at Justinius who returned his gaze and gave him a grim nod. Heinrich spoke the word above the Earth arch.

A might elder earth elemental appeared in the midst of the adventurers and immediately knocked two of them to the ground. Every time Wassabe tried to stand up the earth elemental slammed into him knocking him 15 feet across the chamber. The elder elemental towered over 25 feet tall and the ground shook with its every step. Its fists were like huge sod hammers that struck with great power knocking all who were in their arc.

Wassabe and Thoren were both pressed to the edge of death and Ginny grew increasingly frustrated by her ineffectiveness. Even Justinius and Heinrich were doing their best to hack the huge elemental down. Thoren, on the very edge of death, managed a masterful blow that dropped the earth elemental. As the creature faded into the ground it left behind what was clearly one of the keys to the lower door.

“Well, than answers that,” Wassabe said.

The clerics went about healing everyone and they repeated the procedure with the Air Elemental and then the Fire Elemental. Each yielded a key and neither proved to be the challenge the Earth Elemental had. The problem was even with all three keys in hand the adventurers were in no shape to continue. Both clerics had tapped all of their spell resources and yet Thoren was still nursing a burn injury from the combat against the Fire Elemental.

“We will need to camp,” Heinrich stated.

“Why don’t we just duck into the door and see if there is something we cannot handle before throwing the towel in for the day,” Wassabe suggested.

“Not a good idea,” Justinius disagreed, “We are far too vulnerable to undertake such a risk.”

“Chi-me-yan Slay-vers,” Wassabe emphasized each syllable in a mocking tone.

“Thank you for the reminder,” Heinrich stated flatly. “I think we have a way of at least slowing this pursuers even if they should find their way down past the tree.”

“I’ll look forward to seeing that,” Wassabe snapped.

Justinius cast his remaining spell Forbiddance.

“So we have the password?” Wassabe asked.

“Right,” Justinius confirmed.

“They cannot get through?” Wassabe asked.

“Unless they follow the true and righteous call,” Heinrich answered.

Justinius smiled at Heinrich as they watched Wassabe contemplate what they had told him.

“Ya’ know,” Wassabe began, “I think this might work.”

“I’m so glad you approve,” Justinius replied.

The adventurers retired to the library.

The following morning the adventurers dawdled in the half-empty library to see if Mercutio and others might show up so they could persuade them to come along. Thoren’s impatience wore off on the whole group however, and they decided to press on. They descended the stairs to the final level and pressed the three keys into place. The large door creaked ominously open.

A large chamber opened before the adventurers. Gothic vaulted ceilings, intricately decorated walls with bas-relief carvings surrounded the room. A large marble statue of a wizard sitting studying a book towered fifteen-feet high in the center of the room. Each side of the chamber had large niches, each containing another large statue. The rear of the room had a very large pair of double doors.

“I got my eye on ye’!” Wassabe said loudly pointing at each of the statues in turn. His voice echoed through the chamber.

“Thanks for announcing us,” Ginny quipped.

“What be guarding a place as this?” Wassabe asked rhetorically. “Orcs? Ogres? No lass, magical constructs, undead, and traps. They don’t need me to announce us. The bastiches are always ready.”

Ginny did not reply. She knew Wassabe was right, but she was not about to admit that.

“Ginny would you mind checking things out?” Thoren asked.

“Statues or door first?” Ginny asked.

“Statues I should think,” Justinius answered.

“I’ll come with you,” Thoren offered.

“We should all go,” Wassabe said. “Especially as she is to poke about the statues first.”

The group moved up to the massive center statue of the wizard. As soon as Ginny touched the statue one of the statues in an alcove transformed into a hulking metallic beast and moved towards them.

“Ye’ predictable bastard!” Wassabe yelled.

The adventurers charged into combat, but all were soon frustrated by their vain efforts as weapons continually bounced off the iron hide. Yet, every time the construct hit it would shake someone to his or her core and Thoren nearly went down twice.

Ginny was the first to suggest it. “We’re doing no damage – perhaps we should regroup.”

Wassabe was in agreement, but Thoren continued bringing his blade down on the metal beast. Blue and white sparks flew with every strike of the blade on metal.

Justinius tried to heal Thoren the best he could during the fight, but he had used some of his big spells already and he was not keeping pace with the wounding power of the golem. “Thoren, it might be time to go.” Justinius knew where this fight was headed.

“I’m hurting him!” Thoren cried out. “Just help me or leave!”

Heinrich grimaced. He was furious. This was not the first time the fighter had forced him to delay in an unfavorable combat. ”Well, if I’m going to die – I’m going to die swinging and not healing some fool.” he thought to himself.

The construct’s brutal fists came down on Thoren again and even the fighter was not sure how he was still standing. Heinrich’s status spell told him Thoren was on the very edge of death. He struggled with his decision and resolutely rejected the idea of healing Thoren – Strength and Honor! I will die fighting!” he thought as he swung his mace at the golem.

Ginny was now calling for retreat in a loud voice. Wassabe was trying to distract the golem to give Thoren a chance. Justinius was vainly trying to keep up with the fighter’s wounds. Heinrich was madly, but ineffectually buffeting the golem with his mace. Thoren was fighting – there would be no retreat – “Stand or die!” he screamed as he launched a desperate assault with his axe.

To be continued…

pogre

Legend
Zandyrium
Episode 59

Heinrich’s mace bounced of the golem and the construct reared back to destroy Thoren. Heinrich felt a pang of regret as he watched the iron fist come down. The cleric knew Thoren was most likely going to die. And then, the fist missed.

Thoren’s axe came flashing back and smashed into the iron golem. A blinding flash of blue and white sparks rose from its carapace and its life essence was cut. The golem stood motionless and utterly lifeless. Thoren’s voice rose above all the others as he released a primal scream of victory. Justinius pulled out a curing wand and began healing the jubilant fighter.

“You know, that was just half the battle in this chamber,” Wassabe remarked. Everyone turned towards him. “I mean, look at that statue over there. You know something is going to bring that bastard to life.”

“Yes, but why wouldn’t it animate when the first one did?” Ginny asked.

“I bet that one is connected the big double doors over there somehow,” Wassabe suggested.

“Perhaps Ginny should inspect the main statue further before we worry about the doors,” Heinrich said.

Ginny went straight to work looking the statue over and announced she could find nothing out of place. “The door?” she asked timidly of Heinrich and the others.

“Hold on,” Wassabe said and began unbuckling his pants.

“What are you doing?” Justinius protested.

“I’m getting ready for that other statue to come to life and the first thing I want him to see is my bare bottom staring right back at him,” Wassabe stated.

“I think golems are immune to fear and revulsion,” Heinrich pointed out.

Wassabe laughed and much to the relief of all cinched his belt.

Ginny worked on the door a short time and then said, “Three traps here. Two of them are heavy-duty magical triggers. They may be beyond my abilities.”

“Can you do it?” Thoren asked.

“I’m going to try,” Ginny answered.

“I think perhaps the rest of us should leave the room,” Heinrich suggested.

“Not me,” Thoren said. “I’m staying.”

“Let me bless you with a prayer first,” Justinius said and the cleric cast death ward on Ginny.

While everyone in the group vacated the room save Thoren and Ginny, Ginny moved to the doors and Thoren kept a wary eye on the statues.

*click*
“One…”
*click*
“…two…”
*clank*
“damn!”

A green magical tendril reached up from the door and attempted to wrap around Ginny’s throat, but Justinius’s well-timed death ward saved her.

“Everybody can come in,” Thoren bellowed.

“How did it go?” Wassabe asked.

“All praise Gravitas Morte,” Ginny said with a weak grin. Justinius was dedicated to the deity Gravitas Morte and Ginny realized the death ward had just saved her life.

“I’ll open the door,” Thoren announced and proceeded to kick the door open.

The room beyond was an even larger chamber with smooth polished stone floors and elaborate arched ceilings overhead. A dais was in the center of the room where another large statue of a wizard reading a book rested. The large stone statue transformed into an even larger stone golem when Ginny went to investigate it. All Wassabe could do was roll his eyes.

As much as the struggle against the iron golem had gone against the adventurers, the fight against the stone golem went their way. In a few short rounds the group had the stone golem vanquished.

“What now?” Wassabe asked aloud in the large echoing chamber.

“I found something in this base where the statue was resting,” Ginny announced. She pulled her arm down and the stone platform scraped aside revealing a hollow area below.

“There’s nothing in there,” Thoren observed.

Ginny immediately scrambled down into the gap. “Hold on, I feel something down here. It could be a book.”

“An invisible book?” Wassabe asked.

Justinius cast true seeing and announced, “Not just any book! That looks like the Thraegian Covenant’s Tome of Rituals! Hand it here Ginny.”

Ginny thrust the invisible tome up to the cleric. Justinius looked it over for a brief time and announced that he was certain this was the book. Then the cleric said, “And, I see there is a secret door in the back of this chamber.”

Ginny moved over to the secret door and announced it was very heavily trapped much like the previous door. This time the entire group stayed in the room in a universal show of confidence or laziness, Ginny could not be sure of which. The rogue managed to disarm the traps and Thoren again opened the door.

The room beyond was a much smaller chamber and had a rough-hewn tunnel leading out of the far side. In the middle of the room was a large translucent coffin with two huge tomes resting in it.

“I can find no way into it,” Ginny announced.

“Except smashing it you mean,” Thoren said. The fighter raised his mighty blade to smash the coffin.

“Hold!” Justinius commanded. Justinius then cast death ward on Thoren and the rest of the adventurers left the room as Thoren again hefted his mighty weapon.

The adventurers listened intently and first heard the brief tinkling of broken glass followed by the BOOM of a violent explosion!

To be continued…

BSF

Explorer
Mwahahahahah - Not everything is going to be a death attack. :)

Still, Thoren has proven that blind perseverance and faith can carry you through to victory.

Remove ads