• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

pogre's story hour Zandyrium -episode 66- (5/10/2006) A short update.

BardStephenFox said:
I think you meant Justinius at the end there?

Great update. I am looking forward to reading how the battle turns out. :)

That would be correct. :)

When you're plotting to overthrow the royalty, you can't be bothered with wild dragon killing quests. :p

pogre

Legend
Mortepierre said:
<finally investigates the SH link from Pogre's sig>

<starts reading>

<reaches the tenth episode>

<beats his head against his screen for not checking this sooner>

<continues reading>

;)

Hey thanks Mortepierre! The quality varies, but we always try to keep it entertaining. BTW, folks who have not checked out Mortepierre's story hour should do so!

Scorch said:
Holy cow, that is a lot of cavern MM pieces!

How many sets of it do you own?

Caverns are the only things I cannot easily build with Hirst Arts.

Scorch

I own at least three complete sets with other numerous pieces I have purchased individually. I have a lot of the smaller cavern stuff, but I do not use it as often.

BardStephenFox said:
I think you meant Justinius at the end there?

Great update. I am looking forward to reading how the battle turns out.

You're right of course. I fixed it. Thanks for checking in BSF!

Thanks also to my players for checking in and adding their input. I'm already looking forward to next week's game.

Heavy Hitter

First Post
pogre's story hour Zandyrium -Episode 40- Huge update with pictures! (4/22/2005)

:)
Great story so far! The pictures really make the writing so much more real. Look forward to more! HH

pogre

Legend
Zandyrium
Episode 41

There was a moment of terror as the adventurers viewed the twisted behemoth before them. The dragon was suffering as evidenced by dark pustules bursting forth with some sort of foreign bile-like substance. It barely moved in response to the group’s arrival and they wasted no time. Githraldul launched a succession of missiles, Ginny stung the beast with her short sword, and Thoren finished it with a mighty swing. The whole operation took less than five seconds and the adventurers just looked at each other smiling for a moment, dumbfounded at how easily it had been accomplished.

“Should I make sure this is done?” Mercutio asked.

“Yes, I certainly would not want to face it when it’s ready for us,” Heinrich answered.

Mercutio traced a couple of quick arcane symbols in the air and disintegrated the dragon’s corpse.

The adventurers searched the lair thoroughly and found nothing that positively linked the dragon to the flame cult. The disappointment in the air was palpable.

“I was really hoping we could find a connection,” Heinrich stated.

Wassabe bit his lip. He was considering whether he should let Heinrich in on the fact that Rothlor suspected the emperor’s involvement. He decided against it.

“What kind of stuff did he have?” Thoren asked Ginny.

“A lot of gems and specie,” Ginny answered.

“I don’t want to hear about his poop,” Wassabe complained.

“Not feces – specie. You know, gold and silver,” Ginny said.

“You mean to tell me we just killed a dragon that poops gold and silver?” Wassabe exclaimed.

“Dang it! Somebody should have told me!” Thoren protested. “I would have just knocked him out!”

“Relax Thoren,” Ginny tried not to let Wassabe get to her. “Wassabe is teasing me for using a big word.”

“So what about the dragon poop? I’m so confused,” Thoren complained.

“How do you think the dragon felt? He was just sitting here poopin’ gold and silver and you killed him,” Wassabe stated.

“But, I didn’t know!” Thoren protested.

The malaprops were too much for Ginny and she just walked away from the conversation, while Wassabe continued to get Thoren worked up about the dragon’s alleged magical gastro-intestinal tract.

“I wonder if Rothlor has had more luck in tracing the cult than we have here?” Mercutio asked.

“Good question, I’ll create a sending,” Heinrich replied.

Sending to Rothlor:

Heinrich: Have you found anything about the cult of flame. We have failed to make a connection here, but otherwise mission accomplished.

Rothlor response: Great job! Have found the cult headquarters. Will meet you at Silcrass’s for update.

“Well?” Mercutio asked.

“He found them,” Heinrich stated.

“Why am I not sure that’s a good thing,” Mercutio said.

Thoren came walking over to Heinrich and Mercutio and blurted, “Do dragons poop gold?”

Both casters started laughing and Thoren immediately turned heel, walked over to Wassabe, and cuffed him in the head.

“We need to head back to Silcrass’s den,” Heinrich announced. “Rothlor has found the cult of flame.”

To be continued…

BSF

Explorer
Wow! That was quick. I guess when your opponent is writhing in agony, he is really writhing in agony. I was hoping for at least some popping postules that would get the heroes messy or something. :)

pogre

Legend
BardStephenFox said:
Wow! That was quick. I guess when your opponent is writhing in agony, he is really writhing in agony. I was hoping for at least some popping postules that would get the heroes messy or something. :)

It really was a truly impressive display of power for the party. The PCs probably deserved an easy one after the tough road they have had. The dragon lasted for less than a round - I expected to survive at least one round, get a breathweapon off, and teleport. The PCs, however, inflicted over 230 points of damage on it before the first half of the round was over.

Adventures at these levels usually boil down to this kind of fight in my campaigns. They are usually very quick and deadly for one side. It's exciting, but certainly a different kind of game than the low/mid levels.

BSF

Explorer
What levels are the PCs at? I haven't run a steady game much above 15th level and it does have interesting challenges at that point.

Mortepierre

First Post
pogre said:
“You mean to tell me we just killed a dragon that poops gold and silver?” Wassabe exclaimed.

“Dang it! Somebody should have told me!” Thoren protested. “I would have just knocked him out!”

“Relax Thoren,” Ginny tried not to let Wassabe get to her. “Wassabe is teasing me for using a big word.”

“So what about the dragon poop? I’m so confused,” Thoren complained.

“How do you think the dragon felt? He was just sitting here poopin’ gold and silver and you killed him,” Wassabe stated.

“But, I didn’t know!” Thoren protested.

The malaprops were too much for Ginny and she just walked away from the conversation, while Wassabe continued to get Thoren worked up about the dragon’s alleged magical gastro-intestinal tract.

Must.. stop.. laughing.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

hwoolsey

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
What levels are the PCs at? I haven't run a steady game much above 15th level and it does have interesting challenges at that point.

I think we're all in the 11-12 range. We might still have someone floating around 10 after returning from the dead, but only 1 if any.

Hank

pogre

Legend
hwoolsey said:
I think we're all in the 11-12 range. We might still have someone floating around 10 after returning from the dead, but only 1 if any.

Hank

True, and keep in mind we usually have six or seven at the table. They can really bring it when they have a chance to prepare. When the full party is there they have an 11th level wizard, a 12th level sorcerer, a 12th level cleric, an 11th level cleric, and an 8th level Wizard follower. That's a lot of buffing on Thoren, Wassabe, Ginny, and Githraldul!

I use Ben Durbin's Grim Tales method for calculating CRs for the party's encounters. The current party usually comes out to around 13.5 for an average encounter. The whole thing is for sale over at RPGnow for a couple of bucks. You even get an excel spread sheet to use.

Nope, I don't make a penny from it, although I am pretty biased towards BadAxe Games for obvious reasons.

Remove ads