D&D 5E POLL: Are you mainly a DM/Player, or also a collector?

Do you buy just what you need to play, do you collect everything, or something in between?

• I buy everything 5E that gets released and can't wait to buy more.

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • I only buy the basic rules I need to play and that's enough for me.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I buy more than the basics, but I do enjoy collecting D&D stuff.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I buy more than the basics, but only when it's something I need for a game I'm part of.

Votes: 26 39.4%

alienux

Explorer
I've been playing D&D since the early 80s, but I also enjoy collecting fantasy related stuff.

I'm curious how many others are also collectors, and how many are more just interested in the game itself.

For me, with D&D, I fall somewhere in between. I definitely buy more than just the basic core books and accessories, but I don't buy everything. So far with 5E, I've bought every book except OotA, TSCAG, and STK. I've bought some of the card packs, that I probably won't use much, but I just wanted to have them. I also only have the main DM screen, and don't feel a need to have every story related screen that is released, but I definitely enjoy buying and collecting most of the released products.

Where do you guys fall? Do you strictly buy just what you need to play the game, do you buy every single product that WotC puts out for D&D 5E, or are you somewhere in between?

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
I don't waste my money on products I'm not going to use. Unfortunately, this means I've included products that I'd already bought, even though they weren't that good... :-S

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I'm not a collector as I have an aversion to clutter. I buy official core books and supplements and sometimes I buy adventure modules. No dice, no minis, etc.

jasper

Rotten DM
I buy more than the basic stuff. BUT ONLY because I can afford. And I know I will not use most of the hardbacks. I am mainly a DM.

I buy some stuff, skip others. In theory I'm buying stuff I could someday use at the table, and I definitely don't collect for the sake of collection--but I have also bought a few adventure paths that I knew I wouldn't have time or inclination to run, just so I could skim the maps/location designs/monsters/adventure structure/etc.

I also bought the Kobold Press Tome of Beasts even though I thought it was merely decent, and in fact I haven't used any of its monsters in play yet.

So, somewhat less than "collector", but somewhat more than "only stuff I need for a game I'm going to run." Call it "stuff that might potentially impact my game in a useful way at some point."

happyhermit

Adventurer
None of the above really. I am certainly not a collector at this point and not a completionist in general, but I don't only buy things that I specifically need or will certainly use. I buy things that I like enough. I didn't need a MM2 as I find creating monsters really easy and I don't go through all that many in 5e thanks to bounded accuracy, but I actually pre-ordered the FLGS version of Volo's for MSRP and I love it. Upcoming rules expansion on the other hand will be a much harder sell for me, it could be the thing that puts me off the game if I go by past experiences with other RPGs, though I have a LOT of faith in the design team currently.

Adventures are more along the lines of "Sounds interesting? Sure, why not" they can't really do any harm and can be interesting to read even if I don't play them. I am frankly amazed at how much I have stolen from SKT, not sure why it has worked so well, probably even better than products made for the purpose that I have tried.

CydKnight

Explorer
I am a collector in that I do like the stuff and would want to keep it for many years. At the same time, if it doesn't have a practical use in game play, I'm not going to spend money on it.

aco175

Legend
I certainly do not buy as much as I used to like in the 2e/3e days. I do have the basics and I looking at Yawning Portal. I do have several adventures from DMsGuild and some other 3pp. My son is getting into D&D so I have been getting some minis and paint for him that I would not have normally.

I would buy a source book for FR or Grayhawk that updates the regions. I would buy more smaller modules and might buy a book with more classes, backgrounds, player options.

Remove ads