• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
I have purchased the Lejendary Adventures Essentials and eagerly await it's delivery at my home. Using the LA rules, what would Conan, Cugel the Clever, Rhialto the Marvelous, or the Gray Mouser look like under this ruleset? I am curious as to how the system accomodates more "tailored" characters.
Whew!

Generating four Avatars based on fictitional characters is a tall order, and one I can't fill on this board. However, I can respond in part:

A beginning Conan would likely have Abilities of Physique, Weapons, Savagery, Rustic, and Rangng in that order.

Gray Mouser might have Weapons, Stealing, Urbane, Stealth, and Scrutiny Abilities in that order.

Cugel would probably have Pretense, Weapons, Stealing, Luck, and Ranging in that order.

Rialto the Marvelous Ability linup could be as follows: Enchantment, Alchemia, Creativity, Weapons, Chivalry--I am a bit uncertain as to this selection, and others might rank the Abilities in different order or select one or two different ones after Enchantment.

Note all the Abilities are for a beginning Avatar, and as one progressed, new ones would be added even as existing ones might be improved.

First ability in the 55 score range, second in the 40 range, thrid in 30, fourth in the 20 range, and fifth at 10 score.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
Sorry, didn't mean to imply a request for details on each, just one!

Very interesting . . . I assume none would be Ordered?
Heh...

No need to apologize, for that was what i was doing as a preamble to my response :eek:

Right you are about none of those protagonists being of archetypical sort, Ordered in LA game terms. Also, as most authors deal with characters who spring full-glown into story action, reflecting any such figure with much accuracy in the LA game means an Avatar that has progressed beyond the initial stage, had more than five abilities and higher scores in those initial ones. Conan's Physique Ability is well above 100, even as he was presented by REH as a young man :heh:

Cheers,
Gary

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Col_Pladoh said:
To cut to the chase, I am an advocate or reading in general, and omnivoriously at that. I drew on all manner of non-fictional sources when creating the A/D&D game, and more than just history too. The recommended reading list was for inspiring the DM in creating exciting adventure material, not for creating RPG system material :uhoh: See the more extensive bibliography in the DJ Mythus rules for that sort of reading list.

Glad you didn't take offense at my grouching about Authurian legens. It is most unpalatable to me, so I tend to become ascerbic :]

Cheers,
Gary

I see your points. All those details in AD&D--like the weapons, troop types, real life creatures or importantly the base abilities--shows the range of real world influance. It clearly took a lot build such a great game!

And though I am fan of both Mallory and Tolkien, I have little doubt that the average session of D&D is all the funner for not being too much like either ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
TerraDave said:

And though I am fan of both Mallory and Tolkien, I have little doubt that the average session of D&D is all the funner for not being too much like either ;)
Perspecatious indeed.

An RPG is pretty much the antithesis of a novel, and for most players action is the key to fun and excitement.

cheers,
Gary

Storm Raven

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
An RPG is pretty much the antithesis of a novel, and for most players action is the key to fun and excitement.

Too true. Often I have found when I am DMing that the solution for a game session that is in danger of becoming stalled is to simply say "roll initiative".

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Storm Raven said:
Too true. Often I have found when I am DMing that the solution for a game session that is in danger of becoming stalled is to simply say "roll initiative".
Okay, but...

You neglected to add "or die!" after "roll initiative..."

:uhoh:
GaRY

oldschooler

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Okay, but...

GaRY
Sometimes you remind me a little too much of that mischeivious lil' imp in the red robe and long white hair from the cartoon. Yeah, you know of whom I speak:D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Col_Pladoh said:
Okay, but...

GaRY

no... it's supposed to be "roll initiative and die!"

oh, wait, either way is fine. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles