TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

thufur

First Post
Isle of Ape

Col_Pladoh said:
Actually, IIRR the PCs from my campaign popped in, surprised the natives, and offed the main leaders quickly, so the mass fled from them. Then the lads ventured past the wall, got a look at things, and got out of there. I don't recall how they managed it, but they left, returned to attack the shaman and his guards, and eventually some of them faced Oonga...one getting trashed thus and the others escaping. Again, they knew they were seeking an artifact, but damned if i can remember if I had defined it as the Crook of Rao then. The module was published about three years after the last excursion by any PCs from my campaign, but the fellows at TSR play-tested it before it went to the printers.

Cheers,
Gary

Ran that last summer - Last Will and Testament of Warnes Starcoat provided several hints and clues as to what to expect. Archmage used Tome of Time (I5 Tomb of Martek) to give pcs permanent infravision, detect invisible, comp. languages, and protection from normal missiles.
The battle against (what I changed to) the halfling cannibals was dramatic, but once the mages had enlarged all the fighters and began roasting dozens of tribesman at a time, over very quickly.
The discussion of random monsters goes very well with Isle of the Ape. The daily check for diseases also had a major affect on the party. The druid was completely in his element, and the fact that 'snare' doesnt have a size limit makes it fairly bad arsed.
The two best combats were 1) two random T-Rexes, one of whom ate the archmage who Timestopped, magic jarred, and delayed blast fireballed the head of the T-Rex, and 2) several enlarged fighters grappling Oonga JR. and giving him a giant sized monkey whooping
The fight against Oonga was sort of a let down because I knew what was coming and still couldnt avoid getting beat down.

Missing map of Oerth

Col_Pladoh said:
So as far as things now stand, there is no remainder of the WoG beyond the original two maps i did.

Not to contradict Gary, but I think Roger Moore or Erik Mona somehow found that map, or something similar. It was a map of Oerth that included countries like "Erypt" and I think "Zindia". I can't remember who they got it from, but apparently it survived the barbarian hordes of She Who Is Only Occassionally Named.

It was discussed years ago (1996-1999 era) on the old AOL discussion board about Greyhawk. Erik got his job with WOTC and now Paizo by being a superfan on that board . . .

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Steverooo said:
Okay, here's one I always wondered about (and I can't be the only one in the Universe):

Where are all the Metal-:):):):)ters in the (A)D&D Universe(s)? I mean, with all of those blasted (or Magic Missiled) Rust Monsters running around, how is it that there is any metallic ore left on any of the (A)D&D planets, unless something's making it?!! :p
Pish!

The scrap from iron battleships would feed all the Oerth's rust monsters for a century, that without considering automobile junkyards :]

Heh,
Gary

gideon_thorne

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Pish!

The scrap from iron battleships would feed all the Oerth's rust monsters for a century, that without considering automobile junkyards :]

Heh,
Gary

Sides. Im sure the rust monster has some sort of natural preadator to keep their numbers down? If not, invent one. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Llaurenela said:
Llaurenela

I was not responsible for printing at the times when the fourth and later prntings occurred, so I can't comment.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Odhanan said:
Good morning Gary and everyone!

That's really interesting to read. I know Francois Marcela Froideval for being co-founder with Didier Guiserix of the magazine Casus Belli in France, and knew he was playing with you at some time.
Indeed, I know Didier and his wife too, have been to their apartment in Paris.

Was Francois playing Whismerhill at your game table (I am not even aware if you know that character name)? I heard this was his character at some point before making it into the Chroniques de la Lune Noire comics series, but do not know if it was you or someone else who was DMing.
Yes, Francois was playing Whismerhill (aka "Wimpmirill" acccording to my son Luke) with me as the DM, also rob Kuntz and some others likely.

Another related question, but this time regarding T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil. It is specified in the introduction that Hommlet and its surroundings were designed for and modified by actual players of Greyhawk. It is also indicated that many of the followers of these PCs made it as NPCs in the module.

My question regarding this: Do you remember which NPCs were originally followers of the PCs you mention? Any specifics about these player characters or anecdotes of these game session worth sharing with us?
If i had a list of names I might be able to assist, but I can't recall without such memory refreshment.

]Edit - last question: There is a character that appeared in Casus Belli who was called "Gros Bill" (Big Bill). This was "the" powergamer collecting magical items and optimizing everything for efficiency in the game, and it still remains today the translation of "munchkin" in French. Gros Bill seems to have been one of the players at your game table. Does it ring any bell?

Thanks!
But of course. I met Gros Bill in Paris and gamed with him in Francois' campaign, DMed for Gros bill and other of Francois group at the time :D

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
francisca said:
You know, there is just something kinda cool about TSR having an address (albeit old) on Sage street.
Heh,

That was the residence of Donald Raymond Kaye, born 27 June 1938, one month my senior, and a friend of mine from age 6 or so on.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
Not to contradict Gary, but I think Roger Moore or Erik Mona somehow found that map, or something similar. It was a map of Oerth that included countries like "Erypt" and I think "Zindia". I can't remember who they got it from, but apparently it survived the barbarian hordes of She Who Is Only Occassionally Named.

It was discussed years ago (1996-1999 era) on the old AOL discussion board about Greyhawk. Erik got his job with WOTC and now Paizo by being a superfan on that board . . .
Do not be misled! that map is spurious and has nothing to do with any creative addition to the Oerth that I planned.

the claim was bandied about but no one making it ever asked for verification from me.

I have frequently denied its authenticity on public boards.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads