TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Howdy Edena:)

SuStel hit the nail on the head IMO. What you need are a lot of LE humans in the mix, for they are the worst of the worst, if you will. For "color" I like to add in renegades from otherwise Good races--dwarves, elves and halflings of malign and wicked sort.

The detailing of the humans dwelling in the area should bring a lot of life and substance to it.

Cheers,
Gary

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Col_Pladoh said:
The Derero are evil and dwarfish, but not like Dwarves per se.

Cheers,
Gary

Think Greys with an attitude problem.

Derros first came on the scene when the most popular point of origin for ETs with Venus, there were stray Nazis on the Moon, and penguins were not what they seemed. Your basic Lovecraftian pastiche as presented by a second rate hack who simply couldn't get the joke.

The Derro was basically a stand-in for communist apparatchicks and true believers. An example of what Humanity would wind up like if communism conquered the world. But that's getting into religion, so we'll leave it at that.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mythusmage said:
Think Greys with an attitude problem.

Derros first came on the scene when the most popular point of origin for ETs with Venus, there were stray Nazis on the Moon, and penguins were not what they seemed. Your basic Lovecraftian pastiche as presented by a second rate hack who simply couldn't get the joke.
Alan!

How unkind to Richard S. Shaver :(

You mean to tell me that you don't believe there are Derros infesting a subterranean realm below us, influencing us with their evil ray machines, kidnapping our women? :eek:

I am at a loss...

:lol:
Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:
Alan!

How unkind to Richard S. Shaver :(

Ah, now, for some reason I'm not surprised you're a connoisseur of the Shaver Mysteries. Next I'll come to find out you're an avid listener of Coast to Coast AM...

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Ah, now, for some reason I'm not surprised you're a connoisseur of the Shaver Mysteries. Next I'll come to find out you're an avid listener of Coast to Coast AM...
Oops! I have never heard that radio program...

I did used to listed to The Transcribed Gold Coast Show and the Arbogast Show--both vaguely akin to material done by the Firesign Theater :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Coast to Coast AM is the radio show that Art Bell hosted until he went into semi-retirement. It's been hosted by George Noory since then, with Art hosting during the weekend (but increasinly less so). The show discusses everything from conspiracy theories to, that's right, the Shaver Mysteries. Any given night might find a discussion of ghosts, ghouls, demonic possession, alien abduction, or less esoteric - or perhaps I should say less supernatural - subjects such as the future of ham radio, testing and development of new medicines and/or weapons, or current world politics. Somehow it all fits into the show's format. A great show, very fun, often creepy, and always interesting. The only problem is that it runs late at night - live, it comes on at 10 PM on the West Coast, 1 AM on the East Coast, and runs for the next 4 hours.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Coast to Coast AM is the radio show that Art Bell hosted until he went into semi-retirement. It's been hosted by George Noory since then, with Art hosting during the weekend (but increasinly less so). The show discusses everything from conspiracy theories to, that's right, the Shaver Mysteries. Any given night might find a discussion of ghosts, ghouls, demonic possession, alien abduction, or less esoteric - or perhaps I should say less supernatural - subjects such as the future of ham radio, testing and development of new medicines and/or weapons, or current world politics. Somehow it all fits into the show's format. A great show, very fun, often creepy, and always interesting. The only problem is that it runs late at night - live, it comes on at 10 PM on the West Coast, 1 AM on the East Coast, and runs for the next 4 hours.
Thanks for cluing me in. My prime sleeping time... :lol:

Maybe I can find someone hereabouts to record an episode, although I can't envisage spending four hours listening--too much to do!

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads