TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
dcollins said:
Happy Thanksgiving as well!

I'll just point out that Mordenkainen must have bulked up his forces in recent years, because as of the "Sorcerer's Scroll" in Dragon Magazine #37, p. 11 it was written that he he had:
Indeed, Mordie and his pals did a good bit of adventuring after that old essay was published. There are contingents of dwarves and elves in his force, as well as numbers of infantry of all sorts there at the citadel.

The number of light cavalry has increased dramatically, and there are also heavy horsemen in the army.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
I dropped the idea because of the amount of work needed to set it up and go forward, too much like an historical military miniatures campaign without established facts. Too many unknowns that would demand preparation and then attention on an ongoing basis.

Good point. I think a little bit of the wargaming element is fun (most of my players like wargaming in one way or another), but it should be background to the pure RPG -- which is to say, small groups of heroes, killing things and taking their stuff, in the quest to save the world from evil. :lol:

BTW, I've never seen a D&D to wargaming crossover version I really liked. The one in Basic D&D (Red Arrow, Black Shield was the module, IIRC) was OK for resolving things, but it wasn't completely satisfying. We've twice played out Company-size (100-120 plus leaders/monsters versus 30-50 grunts plus PC's) engagements, shot by shot using regular AD&D rules, and loved it!

Col_Pladoh said:
If you wish to include the forces of the Obsidian Citadel in the campaign, they you will have to run them, as I haven't the time--if I get started then I'll want to manage things, what with being a gamer and all.

Naturally. I don't want to distract you, just asking questions 'cause it's fun to talk to you about these things. All Greyhawk DM's have managed to take little nuggets from your campaign and make them our own.

Col_Pladoh said:
Assuming there is a good reason to become involved, some imbalance in the offing, and there is funding and reward for the troops, then I can supply you with list of the troops available. You can take it from there.

Of course I will not count whatever happens as actuality in regards the force;)

Cheers,
Gary

Nod. Your Greyhawk campaign, my Greyhawk campaign, and everyone else's Greyhawk campaign are different games. But some portability (out from Lake Geneva) is fun. For instance, Robilar is one of the most memorable NPC's in my campaign. But the Lake Geneva Robilar never captured, sold into slavery, and later cooperated with my PCs to escape an island in the Dramidj, rescue some nice kobolds, and slay one of Sauron's fell beasts. Unless you and Rob say he did. ;)

Though I liked the thing Roger Moore did, where he had the PC of somebody who apparently wrote TSR about his 100th level character conquering all of Greyhawk appear as an official character in a pub in the great city, who claims to be all powerful but isn't believed -- but is not messed with either. Neat, I think.

Thanks for being so generous with info on the olden days.

And Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Haakon1,

About all I can add is that a computer can run regular A/D&D combat rules for an army and have the results done in real time. Care would be needed to manage morale rules, for those would be critical to outcomes. A programmer with good knowledge of military miniatures could do it without much trouble--aside from the time needed to enter all the data.

When I run mass combat I fudge the action using a d6 for every 5, 10, or 20 men on a side. Mounted troops add 1 to the result. Much tougher units can have a +2 to their dice. 5 wounds, 6 kills. Wounded men do not count in the next round's combat rolls. Morale depends on what sort of troops are engaged and what leaders they have there with them.

Cheers,
Gary

ScottyG

First Post
Gary, several of your PCs started out as NPCs/henchmen. How did you handle thr transition? When did Bigby go from being Mordenkainen's henchman/apprentice to a full fledged PC? When a figter character that started out as a henchman became a lord, would he still be considered a henchman, could he attract followers of his own?
Happy Thanksgiving all!
Scott

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ScottyG said:
Gary, several of your PCs started out as NPCs/henchmen. How did you handle thr transition? When did Bigby go from being Mordenkainen's henchman/apprentice to a full fledged PC? When a figter character that started out as a henchman became a lord, would he still be considered a henchman, could he attract followers of his own?
Happy Thanksgiving all!
Scott
Actually, when I needed a PC of less potency than one of my main characters, I would have that one's "master" send him out to adventure on his own. As the leige lord of that character never demanded and share of treasure gained by the "apprentice," the relationship became more familial, eventurally that of equals, with the former vassal-type respecting and deferring to his former master in many things.

My DM didn't mind, as that kept the most powerful PCs on the sidelines much of the time.

Cheers,
Gary

Baramay

First Post
Hello Gary. I have a question concerning the resurgence of Greyhawk material in the Dungeon magazine. Eric Mona has shown a strong commitment to supporting the works of those who have come before him and trying to tie up any conflicting sources. What do you think of this? On a side note I have the Dangerous Journeys books and found the attention to detail fantastic. When it was cut short I was very dissapointed. Are there any companies you would suggest that are printing similar quality products? Thanks for making yourself available to all of us gamers.

Mike

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Baramay said:
Hello Gary. I have a question concerning the resurgence of Greyhawk material in the Dungeon magazine. Eric Mona has shown a strong commitment to supporting the works of those who have come before him and trying to tie up any conflicting sources. What do you think of this? On a side note I have the Dangerous Journeys books and found the attention to detail fantastic. When it was cut short I was very dissapointed. Are there any companies you would suggest that are printing similar quality products? Thanks for making yourself available to all of us gamers.

Mike
About all I can say in regards to Dragon magazine is that Erik Mona is a good fellow, and one I respect.

The DJ Mythus system was my last fling at rules heavy gaming, and since then I have done a 180 and truly advocate rules-light work. This does not preclude informational detailing in adveture settngs though. You might wish to have a look at Castle Zagyg Yggsbugh, a town of over 20,000 inhabitabts and regional campaign setting (c. 1500 sq. miles of area) with adventures and adventure hooks for the C&C game. We are now in process of creating modules that detail the town's 19 sectors for those GMs that do not wish to do that for themselves from the extensive material provided in the book. The wok is being published by Troll Lord Games.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Oops!

It just came to me that Erik Mona has asked me for a Gord the Rogue short story, but so far I am unable to deliver same due to a lack of inspiration. Yes, even I get the fabled "writer's block" now and then :confused:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads