TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
In case Gary seems a bit scarse, I heard from Dragonsfoot that he hasn't been feeling well this past week, so be patient with him--I think he has to spend some time off-line.

Thulcondar said:
Personally, I almost always start PCs at 1st level (with exceptions if they are not intended to be played for long, such as if a friend is visitng for only a session or two).

Oh yeah. For "guest stars", I usually let people play NPCs. That gets them a higher level character, but I don't view it as starting at the higher level -- sometimes, the NPC's have been played up from 1st level (if they are essentially party members, or if they are "retired" characters from other campaigns or from players who dropped out), sometimes they have not.

Once in a while the player decides to turn the NPC into a PC . . . I don't think that's ever happened with one that didn't start at 1st or maybe 2nd, though.

dorentir

First Post
Edena_of_Neith said:
Edena_of_Neith here.
Hey there, Gary Gygax. Nice to see you again. (snipped for brevity)
Yours Sincerely
Edena_of_Neith

Sounds like a basically frustrating experience. In such a situation, I would volunteer to take over the DMing responsibilities for a time and host a game at my own house for any who wanted to come. The DM who insisted on running 1st level PCs through that meat grinder would be encouraged to attend, if only to hopefully show him that it is possible to play the game by presenting level appropriate encounters to the party... and rather than seeing players attention wander as they probably did at his own table when PC after PC was mowed down by insurmountable challenges, he might start to see that if people have a chance to solve the puzzles, overcome the obstacles and slay their foes they might remain interested a little longer... of course, a PC death here and there keeps things interesting... but the man who shoots fish in a barrel should'nt call himself a a fisherman and the DM who kills PC after PC isn't challenging anything other than his player's patience.

My 2 cents anyway.

dorentir

First Post
Gary;
If you are not feeling well, hope you enjoy better health soon. My wife and I have both been suffering with walking pnemonia --- we are on week 4 of it and even a short walk leaves me exhausted. So we are both tired and grouchy and our dogs are as frustrated as hell since they are used to long walks every day. My female lab mix has taken to scolding me in the early evening --- she stands at the front door and says "wooooooooooo" at me with a growl in her voice while wagging her tail vigorously --- that's dog language for, "Get off your lazy arse and let's go for a walk, human!"
regards
stefan

Odhanan

Adventurer
JohnRTroy said:
In case Gary seems a bit scarse, I heard from Dragonsfoot that he hasn't been feeling well this past week, so be patient with him--I think he has to spend some time off-line.
Get well Gary. Here are good thoughts for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads