• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
You'd enjoy the works of David Gemmell then. Most of his writings theme alternate histories in paralell worlds. ^_^
I believe that I have read one of Gemmell's books, but possoibly I am confusing him with Harry Turtledove.

The alternate history of the Civil War in a trilogy that Newt Gingrich wrote was outstanding.

Cheerio,
Gary

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Hi!

As a matter of fact I have been asked about the game of plaques before. When I was writing the tale I made notes of for dramatic effect only, so I did not create a whole game.
The colored plaques are noted in the story. The Thief and some other like ones are singular and in black...IIRR.

If you venture to create a whole game from the information in the yarn, feel free to embellish as you find suitable, and do please send me a copy of it.

Cheerio,
Gary

You know it isn't that hard to envision. I see a game like poker where certain pairs and upward combinatinos of like card faces have higher values. For real fun twists, given the fantastical nature of the game you could even throw in "Fizzbin" like rules - e.g., if Luna is Ascendent and it's Growfest, Two Towers and one Sword beats Four Elves, etc. etc.

Of course I'm no game designer but I'd play. :D

gideon_thorne

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
I believe that I have read one of Gemmell's books, but possoibly I am confusing him with Harry Turtledove.

The alternate history of the Civil War in a trilogy that Newt Gingrich wrote was outstanding.

Cheerio,
Gary

Turtledove does some cool stuff. But Gemmell tends to focus on a wide variety of different eras. His works range from the early greek to the post apocolyptic.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
thedungeondelver said:

You know it isn't that hard to envision. I see a game like poker where certain pairs and upward combinatinos of like card faces have higher values. For real fun twists, given the fantastical nature of the game you could even throw in "Fizzbin" like rules - e.g., if Luna is Ascendent and it's Growfest, Two Towers and one Sword beats Four Elves, etc. etc.

Of course I'm no game designer but I'd play. :D
Even if plastic were tp be substituted for the ivory when making the plaques, the cost of making the game would be prohibitive. Of course regular-sized playing cards could be produced with the correct artwork for the game. Sadly that would still cost an arm and a leg...one of the reasons I did not attemot to create a working game when I wroite the story.

Cheers,
Gary

John Drake

First Post
gideon_thorne said:
Turtledove does some cool stuff. But Gemmell tends to focus on a wide variety of different eras. His works range from the early greek to the post apocolyptic.
I did begin reading one of Gemmel's novels, albeit a fantasy one. Turtledove did an outstanding alternative history series dealing with WW2. Sam Yeager rocks! Btw, Gary, just curious if you have heard anything about the animated Dragonlance movie that is being made right now? Thanks Gary!

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:
I have foind I enjoy alternate histories a great deal.

I enjoyed S.M. Stirling's "The Peshawar Lancers" quite a bit. There's a nifty appendix in the back which details the divergence points between the book's history and ours. Plus it has a hero named Athelstane King, which might ring a bell if you've ever read Talbot Mundy's "King of the Khyber Rifles." Rung ho!

Sir Elton

First Post
I was running a Space Opera "one-off." At the end of the "blow up the space pirates" encounter, I felt that I needed to have a little fun, and take the Space Opera a lot less seriously. I put in everybody's favorite (what are those things called) robot: Marvin the Server.

He would constantly tell the PCs how dull life is for a robot with an I.Q. of 10,000 (his Int stat is 25, actually). Then one of the PCs ordered a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. You heard right, a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.

She drank it and yelled "WOW!" and was instantly inebriated.

We had a lot of fun not taking the game seriously! :D

I thought you might get a real kick out of that one, Gary.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
John Drake said:
I did begin reading one of Gemmel's novels, albeit a fantasy one. Turtledove did an outstanding alternative history series dealing with WW2. Sam Yeager rocks! Btw, Gary, just curious if you have heard anything about the animated Dragonlance movie that is being made right now? Thanks Gary!
I have just ordered 1862 as well as books II and III in the Grail Quest series by Cornwell. Those additions to the pile of publications to be read will keep me busy for a few weeks.

I know nothing of the DL animated film, but if it is any good it should bring a modicun of interest in FRPGS,,,hopefully not the CRPG sorts.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
I enjoyed S.M. Stirling's "The Peshawar Lancers" quite a bit. There's a nifty appendix in the back which details the divergence points between the book's history and ours. Plus it has a hero named Athelstane King, which might ring a bell if you've ever read Talbot Mundy's "King of the Khyber Rifles." Rung ho!
I'll look that up on Amazon after I sign off here, thanks :)

Cheers,
Gary

P.S. Book ordered and shipping on the 12th or sooner.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads