TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Korgoth said:
Gary, have you ever considered seeking the publishing rights to AD&D 1st Edition and to your adventure modules? I was thinking in terms of "AD&D: Gygax Edition" and "The Gygax Collection" respectively. Have you thought about that, and/or would it make any sense to do it?

Also... martinis: vodka or gin?
:lol:

I never engage in building cloud castles. Kenzer has licensed the rights to the mechanics of OA/D&Dm but Hasbro will certainly not part with the trade mark D&D in any form.

As for a martini, one always makes that cocktail with gin, the original liquor used. That is the only true martini. Those that wish another sort of drink must logically ask for a vodka "martini" for instance...which is much the same as asking for clam oysters on the half shell :\

Betcha you can't guess from that what I drink when making or ordering a martini :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh said:
I had totally forgotten about Willow...a not very memorable fantasy flick for sure. As a matter of fact I can not recall there being orcs in the movie--only badly done "little people" and I think there were some wolf-hyena-type critters.

I thought the bad guys were mostly hoo-mans, but I might be wrong. I just remember a witch queen, her hot evil daughter (who may have turned, or at least was obviously thinking about it since she liked Mad Martigan), and a bunch of unmemorable extras.

I thought of the daughter when I created my incarnation of Drelnza.

Even though I can't remember much, I liked it. Halflings using pigs as plough horses? Cool. ;)

gideon_thorne

First Post
haakon1 said:
I thought the bad guys were mostly hoo-mans, but I might be wrong. I just remember a witch queen, her hot evil daughter (who may have turned, or at least was obviously thinking about it since she liked Mad Martigan), and a bunch of unmemorable extras.

I thought of the daughter when I created my incarnation of Drelnza.

Even though I can't remember much, I liked it. Halflings using pigs as plough horses? Cool. ;)

The pig imagery might come from the fact that large numbers of people got transformed into same during a battle scene.

Sir Elton

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Actually I envisioned the D&D game orcs ase porcine in appearancem but not actually pig faced--more like largfe, upturned noses and small tushes jutting from their mouths, heavy bodies and small, pig-live eyes. Hobgoblins I saw as apish in visage and build.

Cheers,
Gary

Gammorean Guards in Jaba's Palace in Return of the Jedi squealed in fear or in excitement. They had the porcine, hog like faces. Ugly brutes too.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sir Elton said:
Gammorean Guards in Jaba's Palace in Return of the Jedi squealed in fear or in excitement. They had the porcine, hog like faces. Ugly brutes too.
I had forgotten that, but right you are.

I envisooned D&D orcs as more human looking, but those Gammorean Guards would certainly make do...

Cheers,
Gary

Nathan P. Mahney

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh...

Is it the movie or what it recalls to mind that makes it notable?

;)
Gary

Both! The D&D game was a great one (and the first for my most long-lived character), and Willow is a fun adventure movie that I still enjoy from time to time. It's my favourite role for Val Kilmer, for sure.

Col_Pladoh said:
I envisooned D&D orcs as more human looking, but those Gammorean Guards would certainly make do...

This past Saturday, the subject of "Star Wars space orcs" came up. The guy who remembered their proper name felt very proud of himself (and wasn't me!)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Nathan P. Mahney said:
Both! The D&D game was a great one (and the first for my most long-lived character), and Willow is a fun adventure movie that I still enjoy from time to time. It's my favourite role for Val Kilmer, for sure.
That early D&D games are often memorable is undeniable.

I thought that Willow was interesting, but the lack of proper special effects for a fantasy film kept most of the audience from suspending disbelief. I certainly could not do do.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
This past Saturday, the subject of "Star Wars space orcs" came up. The guy who remembered their proper name felt very proud of himself (and wasn't me!)
:lol:

Well, he should be proud. I surely did not remember the name of those critters :confused:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads