• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Fifth Element said:
It wasn't the English that developed the English terms for lacrosse. It was the Canadians. Lacrosse is Canada's national summer sport. But you knew that, right?

New Yorkers like to think it's a New York game, since we have half the Iroquois.

But having looked up the history of the Brine company, I discover that until the 1950s the only mass manufacturer of lacrosse sticks was on the Quebec side of the St. Regis reservation, so Canada wins. Woo-hoo!

Orius

Legend
Col_Pladoh said:
That sort of person is not worthy of being a Game Master of any sort. The GM is there to entertain and bring enjoyment to the player group, thus being entertained and enjoying himself likewise. Soneone that finds pleasure in making others unhappy is a sad case indeed. That kind of GM should be keft alone to lurk in online MMP games to ambust newbis' characters as they enter the setting :]

Cheers,
Gary

That would give me one less reason to play WoW. Actaullay, that IS one of the reasons I don't play it. :D That's one of the aspects of MMOs I don't like.

Hi Gary -- I have would like to access your encyclopedic knowledge of fantasy for a query on silver.

That is, what would the magical uses of silver be? In particular, I'm thinking of the material component for Protection from Evil 10' Radius (sprinkled in the appropriate way) and anti-werewolf material. Anything else come to mind?

I'm trying to think of a good reason my villain is interested in a secret silver mine/making silver weapons.

It helps if you figure out the plot before you begin the adventure . . . but the PC's weren't supposed to find this anyhow!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Orius said:
That would give me one less reason to play WoW. Actaullay, that IS one of the reasons I don't play it. :D That's one of the aspects of MMOs I don't like.
Well,if played as writtem, Paranoia and CoC fall into that category as well. There a "good" GM is ahead if he is a sadist and his player group masochistic :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
Hi Gary -- I have would like to access your encyclopedic knowledge of fantasy for a query on silver.

That is, what would the magical uses of silver be? In particular, I'm thinking of the material component for Protection from Evil 10' Radius (sprinkled in the appropriate way) and anti-werewolf material. Anything else come to mind?

I'm trying to think of a good reason my villain is interested in a secret silver mine/making silver weapons.

It helps if you figure out the plot before you begin the adventure . . . but the PC's weren't supposed to find this anyhow!
You are spot on. In folklore, silver is indeed valued for its proctetive qualities against evil. The use of silver against were-creatures is an example of how it an an inimical metal to creatures of evil, just as cold iron is reputed to be inimical to denizens of the Fairy realm.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
SuStel said:
Ouch! Please alloy my fears and take that back ferrous. Ore are you too vein?
You tinhorn! That took a lot of brass.

Put some iron in your backbone and steel yourself for more golden puns. I might be a bit rusty, but there is a mine of them just waiting to be dug up, refined, forged into shape, polished, and spun forth here.

I'll leave off here so as to offer plenty of similar elements so you can as-say them.

Cheers,
Gary

Filcher

First Post
Gary,

Thanks for all the years of joy. The world is a better place for your creation.

Of all the Trolls' upcoming releases, which are you most proud of/excited to see released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads