TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh said:
Now this thread is turning into a mine of puns, some of which are gems--take your pick. That is why I am shoring it up like this...

Gary, I know you fancy yourself a philosopher, but this base punning must be transmuted into something more noble, as quicksilver as you can. Otherwise, your tin ear for humor might lead you to host some sort of silicon. That would be a berylium bad idea, of titanium proportions.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Col_Pladoh said:
:lol: Errr...

Can you say, WEAK?

It is as if he is strontium to find elemental puns when they are so elementary!

:lol:
Gary

Gary, you Lead the way to Iron-ing out bad puns, ones that even a Tin ear can appreciate. On bended Ne, on bended knee, I say, I implore you to share your punnery knowledge with us. I'd rather talk about that than someone's old characters, or someone's Sili con game story.

S'mon

Legend
Col_Pladoh said:
AFAIK,

Cold iron is that hammered into shape on the forge without heating. Cold wrought iron.

Cheers,
Gary

The final sharpening of any blade is done cold, though, right? So all iron weapons except maybe iron spikes used as improvised weapons, will be cold iron. I think that's what Kipling intended with "iron, cold iron, is master of them all".

gideon_thorne

First Post
S'mon said:
The final sharpening of any blade is done cold, though, right? So all iron weapons except maybe iron spikes used as improvised weapons, will be cold iron. I think that's what Kipling intended with "iron, cold iron, is master of them all".

Silver and cold iron were reputed, in mythology, to have a variety of mystic properties. They were a pure channel for various sorts of forces. Depending on what one was going up against, the efficacy of the tool used varied. Also effective against faerie beings were items made out of ash and rowan, and a few other forms of botanical defense. There's a big pile of information out there and a fair number of books in the local literary shops that cover a wide range. :)

SuStel

First Post
Henry said:
Gary, you Lead the way to Iron-ing out bad puns, ones that even a Tin ear can appreciate. On bended Ne, on bended knee, I say, I implore you to share your punnery knowledge with us. I'd rather talk about that than someone's old characters, or someone's Sili con game story.

I agree with this sediment. But now it slate, I'm plumb tired, and I have to go to bedrock.

Col_Pladoh said:
:lol: Errr...

Can you say, WEAK?

It is as if he is strontium to find elemental puns when they are so elementary!

:lol:
Gary

Sorry you considered my puns boron. I didn't mean to vanadium your discussion board or iridium anyone, but sometimes these puns make say me say "argon" so often, it almost causes a cesium! Oh well, it's your nickel and I've said my two coppers, so it's time to molybdenum along.

So to change the subject to a more cerium topic, have you every played any Palladium games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads