Races and Classes--I has it!

Szatany

First Post
Thanks!

What about halflings? Also, is the new skill list presented? If not, anything interesting on skills? Are skill challenges in game? Are ranks still in?

eve_of_dante

First Post
One interesting mention of skills on the Wizard page...

'skill feats add breadth to skills. Cherry-picking skill feats can enhance the know-it-all nature wizards exude'

Zurai

First Post
Sounds like a more advanced version of Skill Tricks from Complete Scoundrel, which isn't surprising since 4E had been in the works since before it was started.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Szatany said:
Thanks!

What about halflings? Also, is the new skill list presented? If not, anything interesting on skills? Are skill challenges in game? Are ranks still in?
Halflings
Also taller now. Because they're creepy small before, but we all know that. They're embracing the stuff 3E has began - they're more nomadic now, living as riverfolk. Mainly because it allows them to travel without the need for roads (it's the ultimate travelling network for them) and because it allows them to hide - so they've survived (as a culture), where other empires/cultures have fallen.
They are focused on being athletic and quick and courageous. But still sometimes kender-style curiosity thieves.

On Skills
They've definitely folded certain skills together, as the old skill list was to fiddly. And Tumble seems to be gone - because it allowed you to ignore a major part of the rules (AoO) that was important for balancing. And they've done that with other skills. Such impacting abilities are rather things you can "unlock" with feats or they're part of a class' power - and rogues are THE skill user.
Otherwise, they've said that SWSE contains some of their skill experiments, mostly auto-rising skills to avoid the "high maintenance" of skills.
An interesting tidbit about skills like Listen and Spot: They're pondering switching them around to static values (10 + skill) to allow DMs to roll against them, without asking the players to roll a check (which gives away a lot and due to the number of PCs, you can get a low and very high value, making hiding VERY hard) and in playtests it worked out well so far.
But it's still an "idea that's been bandied about lately", so no confirmation, it still sounds good, no?

Oh, and "Trapfinding" is a feat now, which happens to be a 1st level bonus feat for rogues! Hooray!

EDIT:
eve_of_dante said:
One interesting mention of skills on the Wizard page...

'skill feats add breadth to skills. Cherry-picking skill feats can enhance the know-it-all nature wizards exude'

Missed that... but ties in pretty well with that "unlock" aspect...

Cheers, LT.

Last edited:

eve_of_dante

First Post
Zurai said:
Sounds like a more advanced version of Skill Tricks from Complete Scoundrel, which isn't surprising since 4E had been in the works since before it was started.

Yeah, that's what I thought... there's also reference to Fighters having tricks, which makes me wonder if they're of a similar nature?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Lord Tirian said:
An interesting tidbit about skills like Listen and Spot: They're pondering switching them around to static values (10 + skill) to allow DMs to roll against them, without asking the players to roll a check (which gives away a lot and due to the number of PCs, you can get a low and very high value, making hiding VERY hard) and in playtests it worked out well so far.
But it's still an "idea that's been bandied about lately", so no confirmation, it still sounds good, no?

Heck, I've done that *forever* (i.e. since 3.0 launched), since it is basically just assuming that everyone 'takes 10' on spot and listen when they are just 'default' on watch :)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Lord Tirian said:
They're relatively sequestered, but pass still the barrier "with nary a thought", even their cities can shift back and forth at certain times.

Must... avoid... temptation... to call their city...

Brigadoon!

Khuxan

First Post
Would it be possible to get a scan of a picture of a dragonborn so we know what they look like now? Or is that figure on the PH art indeed a dragonborn?

Much appreciated,
Bill.

Rechan

Adventurer
Orcs and hobgoblins are balanced against the middle of the heroic tier. Gnolls and trogs received a significant increase in power.
Reminds me of what was said about 1e - you go up to face 2 HD monsters after fighting orcs, then 3.

Though I sure hope that orcs and kobolds can be made viable foes once you're high enough to be fighting gnolls and trogs.

And if Paragon is when you're defending the kingdom, are you defending it from gnolls and trogs, because they're paragon level threats? ;)

Mercule

Adventurer
Reaper Steve said:
I really like the stuff on heroic-paragon-epic. It neatly provides 10 levels o crawl the dungeon, 10 of save the kingdom, and 10 more of become an immortal legend.

Sweet. I really like the sound of that.

Remove ads