• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend Some Anime

SailorNash

Explorer
Here are the ones I most enjoyed:

A certain magical index / scientific railgun
Fate zero / fate stay night / prisms illia
Monkgatari series
Hentai prince and the stony cat
Log horizon
I can't understand what my husband is saying
Love live
Mushishi
No game no life
Hestia
Yuruyuri
My mental choices are interfering with my school romantic comedy
Bodacious space pirates
Madoka Magica
Black rock shooter
Daily lives of high school boys

Rokka, Braves of Six Flowers is something like 'the Usual Suspects' in a fantasy setting. Like, it starts as a classic magical adventure, but a few episodes in a mystery crops up where multiple main characters accuse each other of being bad guys. It's fascinating.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Psycho-Pass. It starts off with the usual tropes, but than they do something relatively different with it. It is on netflix, I believe.

Ghost in the Shell: Arise. The series is complete with the film that came out this year. Decent cyberpunk. Beautiful images and actions scenes. It sort of a is a prequel to the other films and anime. It is not as good as the first movie or the Stand Alone Complex series, but the Major is less of a Mary Sue here, more human and vulnerable.

Knights of Sedonia. Mostly interesting for the world building. After a few episodes you can stop watching.

horacethegrey

First Post
Rokka, Braves of Six Flowers is something like 'the Usual Suspects' in a fantasy setting. Like, it starts as a classic magical adventure, but a few episodes in a mystery crops up where multiple main characters accuse each other of being bad guys. It's fascinating.

Interesting premise. Thanks for the recommendation Ranger Wickett. I'll be sure to check it out.

Oh, and One Punch Man, which impressively deconstructs the whole concept of anime heroism.

A thousand times this. It's the best (and funniest) anime I've seen in a long time.

Mallus

Legend
Aldnoah.Zero

Knight of Sidonia

Psycho-Pass

Bodacious Space Pirates (shockingly not full of fanservice!)

Kill la Kill (is full of fanservice -- but bear with it, it's amazing & really smart)

From the New World (slow, but great, serious SF)

Michiko & Hatchin (7 years years old now, but very good. Lovely art & great female protagonists. Set in South America. If Hayao Miyazaki made a gritty crime story, it would probably look like this.)

edit: if you can find it, Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - it's a remake of Yamato/Star Blazers with sky-high productions values. I think it's better than the original by a significant margin.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Just hitching a ride on this thread, so that I can see some titles for myself. If they remade "Star Blazers", I wonder if there will be any interest in remaking "Space Pirate Captain Harlock"/"Albator"?

So hard to ask for Anime as there are so many different types..... Its like do you recommend a movie. What type? What feel? What style?

I always enjoy Lupin III which they are still making.

I will look up some of these others however. Got my curiosity up.

Remove ads