• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recruiting - Shards of the Silver Flame (recruiting re-opened)

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
drothgery said:
Brother Shatterstone - TBA (though based on games I've been in with his characters, I'm hoping he'll come up with something)
Sorry, ENworld’s outage killed me today. I have something, It’s unusual, and its about all I got so don’t pencil me in. (I’ll get it to you tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.)

Bloodweaver1

First Post
drothgery said:
I think I'm going to close recruiting tomorrow (i.e. no one new; anyone who's expressed interest already can still flesh out their concept), so here's where things stand.

- Maybe next time
Torillan - Bugbear Fighter 2/Rogue 1 [not allowed, as per the PHB + ECS races only rule,
and because I don't have Savage Species]; I wish I didn't have to say no to this one
Bloodweaver1 - Psionic Warrior 6 Warforged Juggernaunt 1 wielding a large size Great Sword -- I just don't think that's what I'm looking for

Well, seeing what is already considering, it looks like all the basics are covered. So I am not too sure where to make the changes as to make it more in line to what is needed. Possibly I could change the Great Sword to Great Hammer (aka Maul). Maybe change his affiliation/leagence. Let me know.

Thanks for the oppurtunity.

-Blood

drothgery

First Post
Ferrix said:
Just wondering, have you played a lot of games with psionics & normal magic?

I was playing in a psi-heavy game for most of last year, and there were a lot of occasions where combat scenes were basically a race between my kineticist and the DM to see if I could blow up all of the secondary opponents before falling victim to a save-or-be-incapacitated effect. Admittedly, that was a game with less-than-normal magic, but it seems to be pretty much conventional wisdom around here that even post-errata, energy missile, anything that's +1 DC per power point, and astral construct are overpowered.

drothgery

First Post
Lord Wyrm said:
It's going to be multiclass Scout(CA) 6/Fighter 1, to reflect a specialization in guerilla warfare. Though the actual levels are subject to change the class combo is pretty much set in my mind. I'm also considering having an actual dragonmark and not simply being a house member, the mark manifesting after his return to the house.

Okay, the summary post has been updated accordingly.

Torillan

First Post
drothgery said:
- Maybe next time
Torillan - Bugbear Fighter 2/Rogue 1 [not allowed, as per the PHB + ECS races only rule,
and because I don't have Savage Species]; I wish I didn't have to say no to this one

Understood. I did just use the basic "bugbear as characters" info from the MM 3.5 (no Savage Species here either), but I figured I'd give it a whirl. Keep me in mind for an alternate! I'll come up with a few more concepts more in line with your guidlines just in case. Thanks for considering, tho!

Dracomeander

First Post
It took a little longer to get to but here is the further fleshed out concept.

Background for Martel Flameweaver

Martel was a young war orphan brought to Flamekeep by a Templar whose injuries had forced him to leave the battlefield to those younger than himself. Martel settled into the dormitories where the church was caring for other orphans, but was so fascinated by the knights of the church that the only time he wasn’t underfoot in the knights’ training areas was when he was required to be with the church tutors learning the languages and doctrines of the church.

In order to keep young Martel from getting hurt and to get him out of the way so the knights could concentrate on their own training, Martel was introduced to the smiths and taught how to care for and make the accoutrements of the knights. He was thrilled to be able to assist the knights he idolized, but he never let go of his dream to actually become a knight himself.

The requirements of the Last War provided Martel with his wish as all who showed aptitude were allowed to begin training in the arts of war. He was quick to learn and soon achieved the skills and insight to become a Paladin of the Silver Flame.

His bright, shiny idealism was quickly shattered on the battlefields of the Last War as Martel discovered the monsters that had shattered his childhood weren’t really monsters at all, but just men fighting for their country as he was fighting for his.

His experiences in the Last War have tempered Martel's zeal. He still is devoted to the Silver Flame, but now he doesn’t just blindly jump after the enemies his superiors point him toward. He has listened to the words of the new Keeper of the Flame and learned to temper his zeal with the toleration he believes the Keeper is trying to promote. He is also learning to look into the motives of both his superiors and the enemies he is sent against.

Mechanics: Martel is looking at the path of a mounted knight as a Human Paladin 5 / Exorcist of the Silver Flame 2.

Last edited:

Ringmereth

First Post
drothgery said:
- characters under consideration
Ringmereth - lawful good human Cleric 4/Church Inquisitor 3
stonegod - Elf Wizard 5/Cleric 1/Silver Pyromancer 1
Lord Wyrm - house Deneith fighter (or at least that's how I read it) scout/fighter
Shayuri - warforged warmage
ShaggySpellsword - Rogue 3/Paladin 3/Shadowbane Inquisitor 1
SelcSilverhand - Drue Culler, Gnome Bard 7. Neutral Good.

Looks like tough competition here, but thanks for considering my submission. I'll start working on stating Gevarth out in a couple days.

Anax

First Post
Because I haven't seen a post from drothgery saying recruiting *is* closed yet, I'm going to try to edge in quickly. :) If it's closed up, that's fine. If not, well, I'll be working on fleshing the concept out more.

For now, the short form:

The character (haven't picked a name yet) is or was a member of the guard in Flamekeep. (Although it is unclear how the city guard would be structured. I'm imagining some potential for a Dumas-style competition between, in this case, more and less secular power structures. Still reading up on Thrane to be certain of the situation here, though. It seems more likely that the city guard would officially be an arm of the church, but that at the ends of its reach, it might be much like any city guard of a metropolis, simply because of what it must do. That leaves room for contention between the people on the ground who know what sorts of crimes it is practical to police, and more elite groups that might be inclined to crack down on anything they see as improper.)

Er. Okay. Got off the short form already. Back to it. She's a member or former member of the Flamekeep city guard. She's intelligent, and owes the Lord Reverend a debt of honor for backing her a time or two when the cups were down and her street-urchin background was doing her no good. She's also done her best to back him when she can. [I'm trying to take this from the original description: the leading on more than one adventure sort of thing.] It's due to that that she's experienced more than just the city, and that she's had more of an education than a street-rat-turned-guard might otherwise have.

Mechanics-wise, she's either a pure fighter or a swashbuckler/fighter. I haven't decided which, yet, and I need to think about how much swashbuckler must be taken to avoid being cheesy just for mechanical benefit. (The other big win of the swashbuckler is more skill points, which fits this character well. But fighter feats are hard to pass up. Perhaps multiclass between the two, with emphasis on swashbuckler for the more skillful approach.)

That's it for the short form. Working things up in more detail now that I've at least posted. :)

Edit: Oh--and: human, of no house, and a devout follower of the Silver Flame.

Anax

First Post
Okay. It's time for more detail...

Hariel Talandro, Female human rogue 1/swashbuckler 6.

Note: I came up with the rogue/swashbuckler combo for this character while posting, so I've been trimming a bit. Apologies if anything comes out as disjointed.

I favor this build because it deals with the skill limit problem for Search (Swb/Ftr or Swb, Search would be cross-class the whole time), and fits the backstory I've been imagining (bit of a street rat, made good through the charity of the church, joined the guard to help clean up the streets, drawn into a few adventurous escapades by Our Esteem'd Benefactor), I'm now favoring that.

I'm looking at the Investigate feat from ECS, and perhaps a feat to boost Search. (WIthout the rogue level, certainly. With the rogue level, not so important.)

Stats are (pre-equipment) on the order of Str 12, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 14. The +1 at level 4 went into Dex. Feats are, approximately: Search skill feat (if not rogue), Investigate, Alertness, Point Blank Shot (because the church favors archery), feat to be named later (if rogue).

Hariel clearly favors skill and finesse in combat. (And panache isn't a bad thing, either.) Out of combat, she's charming in a very cheerful sort of way. She's seen some pretty bad things over the years, but she hasn't let it cloud her sense of hope. She's received a good education, but remains more streetwise than knowledgable of the world outside of Flamekeep. Due to her recent favors for the Lord Reverend ir'Indari, she's got a better idea now of what the outside world is like, and has been improving her horsemanship. (A skill that had not seemed important in the city.)

Her recent favors for the Lord Reverend ir'Indari have her eyes burning bright with the thrill of adventure, but Hariel still takes time to walk the city and do her best to make it a better place when she can. She's a regular attendee at church, and she encourages the less fortunate families and children (because they are here, in Flamekeep, just as they are elsewhere) to attend as well, and to ask the Church for aid. This way, she hopes, others may be helped as she was herself.

Although her intellect is well-honed, Hariel is also quite athletic--and spending too much time at the books will lead her to rush out at the barest chance of physical action. At the same time, she knows that physical action is nothing without reason to direct it. She will trust, but not blindly. And act quickly, but not without thought.

And that about wraps up the medium-sized version. I'll continue to flesh out the character until I hear back about whether I got in under the wire, but I won't muddy the waters with more details until requested. :)

Ferrix

Explorer
drothgery said:
I was playing in a psi-heavy game for most of last year, and there were a lot of occasions where combat scenes were basically a race between my kineticist and the DM to see if I could blow up all of the secondary opponents before falling victim to a save-or-be-incapacitated effect. Admittedly, that was a game with less-than-normal magic, but it seems to be pretty much conventional wisdom around here that even post-errata, energy missile, anything that's +1 DC per power point, and astral construct are overpowered.

I've found the only thing unbalancing are the +1 DC/pp ones, the rest are good, but not out of bounds.

But otherwise, I've too much on my plate right now and I'm going to bow out. Have a good game.

Remove ads