Rodney Thompson Leaves Wizards of the Coast

On one side -well, damn. I've always loved his work, especially back in the Star Wars saga days. On the other side, i can't wait to see where he lands - I just hope he lands well.

On one side -well, damn. I've always loved his work, especially back in the Star Wars saga days.

On the other side, i can't wait to see where he lands - I just hope he lands well.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Jeremy Crawford, Peter Lee, Matt Sernett. And it's not like Mike Mearls and Christopher Perkins don't do game design!

And Sean K Reynolds. But they all seem to have other jobs! Reynolds, Mearls, and Perkins certainly do. Crawford seems to have at least half another job.

So its like 2.5. They are back to the biggest thing in RPGs, with 2.5 designers.

I guess its efficient.

Moorcrys

Explorer
If how Wizards has been roping in various game companies for various projects continues, I'm sure it won't be the last we time we see Rodney Thompson's name on a D&D product.

I hope his new opportunity is amazing and full of awesome.

spinozajack

Banned
Banned
Rodney is that rare combination of grace, genius, and grognard. He had a huge part in creating the finest edition of my favorite game. I'm grateful, and wish him continued challenge, success, and happiness.

I'm rather curious why you believe he's a grognard (I consider it an unlikely compliment). Everything he wrote to me seemed, this is a well-considered character ability or game mechanic, taken in a vaccuum where realism or plausibility is of no real concern.

So I'm rather curious why some consider his thoughts on game design to be of the grog variety, instead of purely gamist. Can you point to any particular passages or articles that suggest his pedigree of having worked on the previous edition and embraced its philosophy wholeheartedly, is invalidated or changed in some significant way? I just don't see it.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Good luck R.T. You have ushered in a great edition of D&D. I kinda wish is resembled the SW SAGA system you also worked on but kudos to you and I hope the next 'opportunity' you work on influences my gaming brain as much as the two things mentioned already. You have had a big influence on my games and the way I approach things. Thanks. :)

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
And Sean K Reynolds. But they all seem to have other jobs! Reynolds, Mearls, and Perkins certainly do. Crawford seems to have at least half another job.

So its like 2.5. They are back to the biggest thing in RPGs, with 2.5 designers.

I guess its efficient.

Third party publishers make the APs now. Perkins and SKR make sure they follow D&D lore and the storyline. I guess what is left is editing and playtesting? Some UA articles?

Doesn't require lots of in-house designers to do that.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
What a loss. For me, he was the voice of rationality during the playtest process. When someone else would come along and make a statement that simply wasn't right, Rodney would come along and sweep up the mess and make it all make sense. Beyond that, his work of SWRPG/SW Saga and Lords of Waterdeep was simply tremendous. He really will be missed.

Remove ads

Remove ads