• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rodney Thompson Leaves Wizards of the Coast

On one side -well, damn. I've always loved his work, especially back in the Star Wars saga days. On the other side, i can't wait to see where he lands - I just hope he lands well.

On one side -well, damn. I've always loved his work, especially back in the Star Wars saga days.

On the other side, i can't wait to see where he lands - I just hope he lands well.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I'm very sad to hear the news. Rodney, thanks for all you've done to help create at least two of my favorite game systems (Star Wars Saga Edition and D&D 5E). Best of luck for the future!

This certainly made me wary when I first heard, since we've lost a few D&Ders of late.
But hearing that he's moving to another company makes me feel good, since it not only means WotC is doing well but that Mr. Thompson is doing well for himself. So congrats to Rodney and best luck, sorry to see you go. Don't be a stranger and I hope you can still freelance and article or two!

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Ah, if Rodney quits from WotC it does not necessarily mean that WotC is doing well?

And now WotC have to hire a new staff member as well.

fjw70

Adventurer
Haha, WOW. Way to go, Rodney!

Fingers crossed he's in a position to push for better story in Destiny. ;)

Isn't that a video game company? I would hate to see him waste is talents on video games. :)

It is probably a big raise for him. I don't care for video games but they are a lot more popular and I am sure that they can afford to pay better than WotC.

fjw70

Adventurer
Ah, if Rodney quits from WotC it does not necessarily mean that WotC is doing well?

And now WotC have to hire a new staff member as well.

It will be interesting to see if they do hire someone else. Sometimes companies use these resignations as opportunities to cut costs and spread the work around.

Isn't that a video game company? I would hate to see him waste is talents on video games. :)

It is probably a big raise for him. I don't care for video games but they are a lot more popular and I am sure that they can afford to pay better than WotC.

The video game industry doesn't quite have a single dominating player the way the tabletop industry does, but Bungie is very much in the WotC-tier, were we to compare the two. It's a household name for anyone who's picked up a controller in the last fifteen years and a very exciting career move for Rodney. I'm sure he will play a valuable role in Bungle's plans for world domination.

(I'm wondering if this is all Mike Mearls' doing. As an immense fan of their latest game, Destiny, he seems like the kind of guy to want to have a mole planted in Bungie headquarters.)

I will say that, as someone who enjoys both types of game. Rodney's talents will most certainly not be going to waste - the video game industry needs competent, creative talent with an eye for mechanical balance as much as any tabletop game publisher!

Remove ads

Remove ads