• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rodney Thompson Leaves Wizards of the Coast

On one side -well, damn. I've always loved his work, especially back in the Star Wars saga days. On the other side, i can't wait to see where he lands - I just hope he lands well.

On one side -well, damn. I've always loved his work, especially back in the Star Wars saga days.

On the other side, i can't wait to see where he lands - I just hope he lands well.

Dire Bare

Legend
I wish him all the best, working on non-D&D products. I think he'll be happier and it will be a better fit.

The team did terrific work and deserves a ton of commendations, however every article I read from Mike I loved, and most from him I liked in some ways but he would always throw in one or two lines that made me go Hmmm. So as a person I think he's a good guy, but as a game designer, not so much.

In terms of D&D's future, this is good news to me. Sorry to put it that way, but it's how I feel. I can't help but feel that if Mr Reynolds had been at Wizards then, instead of now, 5th edition would be even better than it is.

I'm rather curious why you believe he's a grognard (I consider it an unlikely compliment). Everything he wrote to me seemed, this is a well-considered character ability or game mechanic, taken in a vaccuum where realism or plausibility is of no real concern.

So I'm rather curious why some consider his thoughts on game design to be of the grog variety, instead of purely gamist. Can you point to any particular passages or articles that suggest his pedigree of having worked on the previous edition and embraced its philosophy wholeheartedly, is invalidated or changed in some significant way? I just don't see it.

Poor form dude.

This is like going to someone's going away party and telling everybody there that the guest of honor is a great guy, but terrible at his job and good riddance. If that's your opinion, fair enough, but not exactly the right forum for it.

Dire Bare

Legend
Thanks for all the awesomeness that you contributed to D&D over the years, and here's hoping that your new opportunity is game-related!

brehobit

Explorer
Shame, nice guy. Learned a fair bit out 5e and gamemastering in general playing a game with him.

Though I'm moving on to new and different things, I’ll still be around to talk about games.
The above makes me suspect he's leaving the game industry. That would be a shame.

HobbitFan

Explorer
Best of luck to Rodney.
I would add my voice to the chorus of well-wishers earlier in the thread as well as thank him for the quality of his work at WOTC. In particular, Star Wars and D&D were enriched by his work on those two lines.

I remember reading about Rodney when researching Star Wars Saga and being excited that he attended the same college as me, UT.
Since that time I think Rodney has shown himself to be an excellent game designer (D&D, LOrds of Waterdeep) as well as demonstrated his commitment to the community and fans.
Wherever his life takes him next, i wish him the best in personal and private life as well as success and happiness.

Danke.

HobbitFan

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Second the numerous comments - thanks for the wonderful 5e game although I'll miss seeing the twitch/YouTube vids of you DMing the game, good stuff!

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I'm rather curious why you believe he's a grognard (I consider it an unlikely compliment). Everything he wrote to me seemed, this is a well-considered character ability or game mechanic, taken in a vaccuum where realism or plausibility is of no real concern.

So I'm rather curious why some consider his thoughts on game design to be of the grog variety, instead of purely gamist. Can you point to any particular passages or articles that suggest his pedigree of having worked on the previous edition and embraced its philosophy wholeheartedly, is invalidated or changed in some significant way? I just don't see it.

To be honest, I was just going for the alliteration.

Grace and Genius are 100% on-target at face value. Grognard was intended to convey "awareness of, respect for, and ability to produce satisfying mechanics."

If that's a misuse of the term I apologize.

Point being: the man came up with some rad rules that, in my mind, enjoyably evoked old-school D&D feel* via modern elegant mechanics.

* the D&D I grew up with was BASIC, AD&D, and AD&D 2nd Ed. 5e feels like that, but more cohesive and smooth.

Remove ads

Remove ads